Ryan Mountcastle's Most Similar Batters List

Pickles

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

And not that it means much... He's a better defender (I think) than Mancini. At least good enough that his bat makes up for it.

Plus 1B is a trash position. Stick most anyone there if they can hit and RM is better than "most anyone."

He'll be fine at first base.

I still think his time in LF was quixotic.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

ZiPS says Mountcastle’s closest comp is Wil Cordero.   Don’t ask me why.   They don’t seem remotely similar.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cordewi01.shtml

I fully concede that this comp list is not what I would have predicted.  I don't claim that it is predictive. 

That's actually what makes it interesting.

Of course, I remember when PECOTA pegged Billy Rowell as the new Mickey Mantle.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s Mancini 

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

My favorite comp for Ryan Mountcastle is a more athletic Mark Trumbo. They're both low-plate discipline high-power hitters. Trumbo had a career .249/.302/.459 line, while Mountcastle is at .270/.324/.492. Take out Mountcastle's hot 2020 and you get .255/.309/.487

In the minors, Trumbo hit .275/.330/.478. Mountcastle hit .295/.328/.471

I do think Mountcastle will have the better career when all is said and done, but he doesn't have his decline years dragging down his career averages yet either. Although Trumbo's best season was his age 30 campaign with us where he hit 47 homers and OPS'd .850

That was what prompted me to make this thread.

If Mountcastle's comp list had been full of names like Mancini and Trumbo I wouldn't have found it noteworthy.

Instead his list is full of guys with 30-40-50 WAR careers.

It seems to suggest there might be some upside to Mountcastle that is somewhat hidden.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That was what prompted me to make this thread.

If Mountcastle's comp list had been full of names like Mancini and Trumbo I wouldn't have found it noteworthy.

Instead his list is full of guys with 30-40-50 WAR careers.

It seems to suggest there might be some upside to Mountcastle that is somewhat hidden.

Is this the BBR list?  That’s not really an in depth, good list if so.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is this the BBR list?  That’s not really an in depth, good list if so.

It is the BBR list.

I concede that the way they formulate these comp lists is not perfect.  It's just an old Bill James formula and is heavily dependent on counting stats.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Huh?  There are the similar batters and the similar batters through age 24.  

Misread your comment on my phone and thought you were posting what you thought was a different list.

What you did was go, I don't like this BBref list I want to use this other BBref list that better matches my view.  Why should the list you like better be any more valid?  You do accept that age is important right? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This clip shows Bradish shaking his elbow a few times. Also throwing 99 which might have had something to do with it. I hope he learned his limitations.  Kyle Bradish's strong start against Phillies | 06/14/2024 | MLB.com
    • I'm kind of heading towards rooting for Kjerstad or Beavers to be trade centerpiece of whatever comes. EBJ's 2024 has been pretty tepid so he is not at a good sell point.     Norby seems to fit well as a backup to future outfields mostly made up of Cowser-Mullins-Kjerstad-Beavers-EBJ. The other 29 clubs, including whatever dozen odd end up selling next month - there are probably enough variances in their takes on Kjerstad and Beavers there is something Elias can arbitrage. I take it as a given someone like Seth Johnson or Trace Bright at least will be a secondary piece, guessing Povich-McDermott-De Leon-Forret maybe represent a tier Elias prefers to keep.
    • Gibson has a career 5.09 ERA in the 2nd half. And he turns 37 in October. He's due for some regression.
    • Yeah I am kind of torn on that.   Obviously you don't something actually on the ball so that the ball may go through the air differently, but if pitchers are having to over compensate to try and get the grip and therefore the spin that they want.....then is it worth it to allow a substance so you can avoid all of these injuries?   Let a pitcher keep something sticky on his glove or hat and allow him to be able to touch that area if he wants.  I really don't see a problem with it. For example, as much as some of you hate my bowling references, in bowling we do the same exact thing that a pitcher does, try to get as good a grip as possible so that we can create as many rpm revs, spin and hook as possible.  All the best bowlers have rev rates in the 500s and we are all allowed to put whatever we want on our hands to create that.  Rosin.  Stickem.   Tape on the fingers.  Tape inside of the bowling ball fingers.....whatever.  And I have never in my life heard anyone say that doing that should be illegal.  It is legal, everyone does it, and no one has a problem with it.  We are also allowed to surface our balls with a sand paper like pad that can give it a surface that hooks more, or a surface that hooks less. Again, all perfectly legal.  I think baseball may have to adjust their thinking on this if pitchers keep falling like flies. 
    • That probably happens but its not a big deal. Smartphones probably do tons of data tracking on what you search online. And they know exactly where you are at all times.
    • I thought trying to resign Flaherty would have been a better choice, assuming he wanted to stay of course.  He had a better track record of being very very good compared to Gibson Again though, I have no idea if he even would have resigned. 
    • I thought trying to resign Flaherty would have been a better choice, assuming he wanted to stay of course.  He had a better track record of being very very good compared to Gibson Again though, I have no idea if he even would have resigned. 
  • Popular Contributors