Norby, Vavra and Prieto

Frobby

I’m curious to know how posters rank these three, and who has the highest ceiling and highest floor?

Tony has Norby at 10 and Vavra at 20.   I don’t think he has weighed in on where Prieto would have fallen if he’d been in the organization when Tony did his rankings.   

Fangraphs sees them as very close.   They have Vavra at 11 and graded 45, with Norby and Prieto at 13-14 with a 40+ grade.   

I don’t know BA’s full rankings, but they are high on Vavra, ranking him 10th.

Prospects1500 has Norby at 11, Vavra 12.   I think their list precedes the Prieto acquisition, so he’s not ranked.  

Eutaw Street has Norby 12, Vavra 14 on a 20-deep list.  

On the Verge has it Vavra 12, Norby 13, Prieto 20.

This is really hard to answer because we haven't really seen Norby play and who knows what Prieto is going to look like as he adjusts to MLB. I'm not especially impressed with Vavra, and Prieto is going to have to add power to have a MLB future.

I think Norby is the best combination of ceiling and probability, but it's possible Prieto has a higher ceiling

The "I'm no expert" caveat definitely applies...

All have a plus BA/OBP floor profile.  The differences seem to be ETA, fielding, and ceiling.  Here's the order I would go:

1a. Prieto - 2022/23 ETA.  The hit tool comparison to Nick Madrigal and breaking Kendrys Morales hit record are good conversation starters.  Solid defensively.  18:50 mark of the podcast linked below gives some background on the O's landing him for the price (i.e. other teams already had committed their international budget when Prieto declared).

CubaDugout Locked on Orioles & César Prieto - Cuba Dugout

1b. Norby - 2024ish ETA.  Probably the most projectable floor.  His ceiling is a solid BA/OBP guy who may develop into a 15+ HR guy.  Maybe the weakest fielding.  

3. Vavra - 2022/23 ETA.  But I'd say his floor is more questionable and has the lowest ceiling.  But maybe the strongest fielding.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

If Norby isn’t ready until 2024, he won’t be good (or at least won’t be a ML starter) or has had injury issues.

Most likely yes.  I'd figure the goal trajectory is for him to start this year at Aberdeen, play the second half in Bowie and perform well enough to start 2023 in Norfolk.  If that happens, he should be ready by mid-2023.

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

Most likely yes.  I'd figure the goal trajectory is for him to start this year at Aberdeen, play the second half in Bowie and perform well enough to start 2023 in Norfolk.  If that happens, he should be ready by mid-2023.

Yep.  He could be at Bowie by June if he plays well.  It’s even possible he sees Norfolk this year with them playing later than everyone else.  

Advanced college hitter who is a second baseman and not likely anything else.  Should know fairly quickly what you have in him.

If Norby isn’t ready until 2024, he won’t be good (or at least won’t be a ML starter) or has had injury issues.

9 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

That's fair.  Just going off what I've seen.  Who has the first crack at the MLB of these?  Vavra?

I don’t know why you say that.   It’s not unusual at all for college players to take more than 3 seasons (including their short initial season) to make it to the majors.   Looking at the 2016 draft for example, 16 college guys drafted in the first round have made it to the majors, but only two of them made it there by 2018.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why you say that.   It’s not unusual at all for college players to take more than 3 seasons (including their short initial season) to make it to the majors.   Looking at the 2016 draft for example, 16 college guys drafted in the first round have made it to the majors, but only two of them made it there by 2018.

And how many of them are any good and how many have had injury issues?

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And how many of them are any good and how many have had injury issues?

You’re fighting a losing battle here.   The top four players in that group by rWAR) all debuted in 2019 or later.   I don’t have time to look at every one of these 16 guys and see if they ever had injuries.

• Upvote 2