Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I really like Longenhagen.   He is the most inclined to give detailed explanations for his views on players.   Doesn’t mean he’s right but at least you know why he rates a player the way he does.  

I agree with this, and he definitely likes certain styles of player, but he makes it clear what he's looking at and what skills/potential talent a player has that makes him rank them where they are at. I don't really look too much at the MLB Pipeline lists often because it all reads just as copy. And I get that those who write for MLB.com have a ton to do and different stories to write, but Longenhagen really devotes himself to watching all these prospects (from all 30 MLB teams which is pretty insane to consider), which is why it takes months for FanGraphs to push out updates to prospect lists. 

Most of the media guys are trying to entertain, not necessarily accurately evaluate players. After all, no one cares whether they are right or wrong. Who goes back and looks at how well Keith Law, as an example, rates players? Also, scouting is a very difficult business. My guess is that most of these guys don't spend the time it takes to see many players in person. They have connections in many organizations player development shops and they parrot what they are told. 

I personally take most national media guy's opinions with a huge grain of salt. Their job is to sell content.

22 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Most of the media guys are trying to entertain, not necessarily accurately evaluate players. After all, no one cares whether they are right or wrong. Who goes back and looks at how well Keith Law, as an example, rates players? Also, scouting is a very difficult business. My guess is that most of these guys don't spend the time it takes to see many players in person. They have connections in many organizations player development shops and they parrot what they are told. 

I personally take most national media guy's opinions with a huge grain of salt. Their job is to sell content.

I'd echo this, and while other Orgs have scouts as well to represent how good another teams system is, overall I think it does help to have a highly rated Org.  Ie, you can trade your number 5 guy rather than your number 2 guy for an established MLer, because your Org is highly ranked.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,12,13,15,16,17,18,30,32,33&stats=bat&qual=y&type=2&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=2&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=15,-1

Here's a Joey Ortiz superlative, just kind of poking around "All Affiliated Minors" BAL 2022.

Ortiz's SwStr% of 7.4 organization-best.    As a little guy, I'm skeptical his power will translate to Walltimore, but this is a fun find and when we see him I'll be curious to see if he can do some of the David Eckstein-Steven Kwan "I never swing and miss" type things.

In MLB, about 1-in-7 guys with 300 PA managed 7.4% or less SwStr.    On the Orioles, Adley was best at 6.3, Mateo/Mountcastle tied worst ~15.5.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 4:05 PM, Ridgway22 said:

Joey Ortiz continues to intrigue.....

Over his last 62 games, which is 38% of a 162 game season, (a "sample", but not super small):

.365 / .436 / .639 / 1.075

Extrapolated to 162 game pace:

230 hits, 157 runs scored

52 doubles, 5 triples, 37 homers, 141 RBI

402 total bases, 16 stolen bases, 3 caught stealing

As to defense, scrolled back through this thread looking for Tony's comments, as I trust his opinion more than any of the "National" publications when it comes to O's prospects:

Aug 3.

Defensively he's the best defender at SS and 2B in the system (minus Holliday since I haven't seen him). 

Aug 15.

In my mind he's got better hands than Mateo but a little bit less arm. they're about the same range wise though when it comes to covering ground on pop flies, Mateo will get the edge because of his 80 level speed. 

As good as Ortiz is at short, he might be a perennial gold glover at 2B. 

Sept 9.

Ortiz to me is every bit the defender that Mateo is with maybe a tad less arm, though Ortiz's arm is solid major league average for a SS.

Sept 10.

Ortiz is a plus defensive SS and could very well be a gold glove 2B. Ortiz's significant defensive plusses makes him a better overall prospect for me than Westburg.

I missed the part about these were my comments so I'm reading through them like, "Damn, this guy sounds like me!" Then I went back and realized you were quoting me! lol

I haven't finished my top 30 placements nd have really just begun, but I'm 90% sure Ortiz will end up in the top 10 and perhaps in the top 7. But don't hold me to that. ;)

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,14,12,13,15,16,17,18,30,32,33&stats=bat&qual=y&type=2&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=2&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=15,-1

Here's a Joey Ortiz superlative, just kind of poking around "All Affiliated Minors" BAL 2022.

Ortiz's SwStr% of 7.4 organization-best.    As a little guy, I'm skeptical his power will translate to Walltimore, but this is a fun find and when we see him I'll be curious to see if he can do some of the David Eckstein-Steven Kwan "I never swing and miss" type things.

In MLB, about 1-in-7 guys with 300 PA managed 7.4% or less SwStr.    On the Orioles, Adley was best at 6.3, Mateo/Mountcastle tied worst ~15.5.

BTW, I'm loving the SwSTr percentages are available in Fan Graphs. I find that stat intriguing for scouting purposes especially without trackman data!

This is Ryan Watson speaking.

There are a lot of exciting things on the way. The No. 1 ranked farm system in baseball. Lot of talent in this system. Joey Ortiz is one guy that stands out – his glove is unreal. Up and down this farm system, there are guys that can help this team win. We’ve got an overwhelming amount of talent for sure. An exciting time to be a fan and to be an Oriole for sure

It is kind of funny how his name comes up unsolicited.  Norby mentioned him in an interview as well.   

Edited by RZNJ

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

This is Ryan Watson speaking.

There are a lot of exciting things on the way. The No. 1 ranked farm system in baseball. Lot of talent in this system. Joey Ortiz is one guy that stands out – his glove is unreal. Up and down this farm system, there are guys that can help this team win. We’ve got an overwhelming amount of talent for sure. An exciting time to be a fan and to be an Oriole for sure

It is kind of funny how his name comes up unsolicited.  Norby mentioned him in an interview as well.   

I know some called Joey Ortiz your new pet, but this time, you are picking the right guy. lol 

The more I watched Joey Ortiz this year the more he impressed me in all aspect of his game. He's going to be a good one and while he's got everyday player written all over him, his floor is pretty high as a outstanding utility guy.

• Upvote 1

Baysox broadcaster Adam Pohl said he thinks Ortiz can be a top 5-10 defensive SS in MLB.  That’s pretty good praise because Pohl didn’t just spew hyperbole when asked about other players.  For example, he said Coby Mayo won’t be a major league 3B.

• Upvote 1

On 10/5/2022 at 1:30 PM, Frobby said:

Baysox broadcaster Adam Pohl said he thinks Ortiz can be a top 5-10 defensive SS in MLB.  That’s pretty good praise because Pohl didn’t just spew hyperbole when asked about other players.  For example, he said Coby Mayo won’t be a major league 3B.

Did he say why he thought that? 

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Did he say why he thought that? 

He did not but the tone he used when he said Mayo would not stick at 3B ( or did he say Mayo is not a 3B?) left no doubt that he felt strongly about it. I was surprised.  No details to support why he feels that way and the interviewers didn’t follow up on it for an explanation.

Edited by RZNJ

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not really.  He did acknowledge that Mayo has a great arm.  Therefore I assume it’s footwork and range.  

I believe he is a RF if he is not a 3B. I hope they make the switch soon, perhaps in winter instructs, rather than do the Mountcastle thing to him.

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I believe he is a RF if he is not a 3B. I hope they make the switch soon, perhaps in winter instructs, rather than do the Mountcastle thing to him.

I know people hate the idea of putting a guy with his arm at 1B, BUT we have set OF now and we have Stowers, Cowser, Beavers, Kjerstad, and Fabian in the system.   We don't have one 1B prospect at all in the system.   

• Upvote 1