Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I know people hate the idea of putting a guy with his arm at 1B, BUT we have set OF now and we have Stowers, Cowser, Beavers, Kjerstad, and Fabian in the system.   We don't have one 1B prospect at all in the system.   

This all just illustrates how many options Elias has this year. He can pick his favorites and trade others for the best offer. He has a ton of flexibility. He also doesn't have to do anything immediately if offers aren't good other than maybe move guys like Urias and/or Vavra.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I know people hate the idea of putting a guy with his arm at 1B, BUT we have set OF now and we have Stowers, Cowser, Beavers, Kjerstad, and Fabian in the system.   We don't have one 1B prospect at all in the system.   

It might be very reasonable to explore the possibility that Kjerstad might be better suited for 1B as well. Not having a true 1B prospect might actually be a good thing. 

15 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

It might be very reasonable to explore the possibility that Kjerstad might be better suited for 1B as well. Not having a true 1B prospect might actually be a good thing. 

Sure, but I figure it's usually more likely that someone who is already an infielder will make the transition better.  Not always though.

27 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Would be pretty disappointing if the O's spent a 1-2 pick on a guy that couldn't stick in the outfield.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Would be pretty disappointing if the O's spent a 1-2 pick on a guy that couldn't stick in the outfield.

I guess so but the White Sox spent 1:3 on Vaughn and the Tigers went 1:1 on Torkelson.   Does anyone expect Kjerstad to be anything more than an average RF?    He was drafted for his bat, primarily.    If he could be an average 1B, I don't see what the disappointment would be.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I guess so but the White Sox spent 1:3 on Vaughn and the Tigers went 1:1 on Torkelson.   Does anyone expect Kjerstad to be anything more than an average RF?    He was drafted for his bat, primarily.    If he could be an average 1B, I don't see what the disappointment would be.

I'd have been disappointed if I had been a White Sox or Tiger fan.

I also don't think Kjerstad was projected to have the bat that either of them were supposed to have at the time of the draft.

Also note that Vaughn and Torkelson have not exactly been doing well in the majors.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd have been disappointed if I had been a White Sox or Tiger fan.

I also don't think Kjerstad was projected to have the bat that either of them were supposed to have at the time of the draft.

Also note that Vaughn and Torkelson have not exactly been doing well in the majors.

Two different things.   So you are just plain disappointed that Kjerstad was a 1:2 pick.  I can't do anything about that.

He's going to hit the same way whether he's a 1B or a RF/LF.    I don't see the disappointment if he becomes an average fielding 1B compared to an average fielding corner OF.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Two different things.   So you are just plain disappointed that Kjerstad was a 1:2 pick.  I can't do anything about that.

He's going to hit the same way whether he's a 1B or a RF/LF.    I don't see the disappointment if he becomes an average fielding 1B compared to an average fielding corner OF.

Here you go.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, that has already been addressed.

He just wrapped up the worse rookie season ever by a 1-1 pick.

If you'd like to dig through posts hoping to find me pining for Torkelson to drop to 1-2 so the O's can draft him good luck.

No thanks, I have better things to do than investigate who you liked in that draft.  

My feeling on Kjerstad at 1B is it depends why he’s there.   If he’s at first because he’s a poor OF and we can’t play him out there, that’s one thing.  If he’s at first because we have three very good defensive outfielders so that our best alignment is him at 1B, that’s a very different thing.  And, bottom line, how I feel about him at 1:2 is mostly going to
depend on how he hits, not on whether he’s at 1B or the OF.   Either way, he’d need to be a very good hitter to be worthy of 1:2.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No thanks, I have better things to do than investigate who you liked in that draft.  

My feeling on Kjerstad at 1B is it depends why he’s there.   If he’s at first because he’s a poor OF and we can’t play him out there, that’s one thing.  If he’s at first because we have three very good defensive outfielders so that our best alignment is him at 1B, that’s a very different thing.  And, bottom line, how I feel about him at 1:2 is mostly going to
depend on how he hits, not on whether he’s at 1B or the OF.   Either way, he’d need to be a very good hitter to be worthy of 1:2.   

Then you flip him for an area of need.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Then you flip him for an area of need.

1B could be an area of need by the time Kjerstad is ready for the majors.  
This whole discussion is a bit too hypothetical for me, and not at all related to the thread topic.  I’m done didcussing it here.