How Long Will Elias Stay in Baltimore?

LookinUp

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My biggest concern is the mess of an ownership situation and if it doesn't get resolved might prompt Elias to look for greener (less dysfunctional) pastures. 

I think the main unknown is whether the next owner of the team wants to bring in a new GM (or creates an environment that Elias doesn't want to work in).

10 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I think the main unknown is whether the next owner of the team wants to bring in a new GM (or creates an environment that Elias doesn't want to work in).

Well the real unknown is when we'll have another owner at all. If that happens, all bets are off. But what if we're 3-4 years away from that? Will they resign Elias?

I'm sure he wants to see this through to a championship, but I'm also sure he likes a lot of zeroes after the other numbers in his pay check.

I swear. If I were the Angels, Nats (post ownership change) and probably a few other big market teams, I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at him trying to let him take over my franchise.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Well the real unknown is when we'll have another owner at all. If that happens, all bets are off. But what if we're 3-4 years away from that? Will they resign Elias?

I'm sure he wants to see this through to a championship, but I'm also sure he likes a lot of zeroes after the other numbers in his pay check.

I swear. If I were the Angels, Nats (post ownership change) and probably a few other big market teams, I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at him trying to let him take over my franchise.

His proven strength is taking a franchise that's crashed and burned and building a huge talent base while de-prioritizing MLB wins for a number of years.  How many big market teams want to do that, or are willing to do that? If I'm the Nats or the Angels I have no interest in a $40 million payroll and 54 wins a year until 2027. They'd be throwing money at him to do something quite different than he's done with the Astros and Orioles.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

His proven strength is taking a franchise that's crashed and burned and building a huge talent base while de-prioritizing MLB wins for a number of years.  How many big market teams want to do that, or are willing to do that? If I'm the Nats or the Angels I have no interest in a $40 million payroll and 54 wins a year until 2027. They'd be throwing money at him to do something quite different than he's done with the Astros and Orioles.

That's a really shallow view of what he's done.

The whole org has coordinated drafting/talent acquisition and player development. The major league team has pitchers over performing. There's depth throughout and it's not just his #1 picks.

Why would an owner not assume he can do all of that while signing guys to big FA contracts?

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Tigers would be more likely.. Ilitch can throw the zeroes. 

12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

That's a really shallow view of what he's done.

The whole org has coordinated drafting/talent acquisition and player development. The major league team has pitchers over performing. There's depth throughout and it's not just his #1 picks.

Why would an owner not assume he can do all of that while signing guys to big FA contracts?

You're probably right. But his track record is rescuing franchises by tearing it down to the studs and building internally.  Many organizations don't want to do that.