Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He's a uh ... interesting post game interview lol. He's right, in that the pitch was good and the hall of famer did a hall of fame thing. But he comes off a little unnecessarily defensive. 

Well that’s understandable. He’s a guy on his second chance in MLB. He’s not comfortable where he is. 

It looked to me like he was effectively wild and was getting a bit lucky last night.  The FB did look to have more movement than normal, but he missed a lot of spots and threw a lot of non-competitive pitches.  If he puts up that same effort against a team like NY or HOU I think he gets shelled.  Regardless, nice to see him have success and hopefully he can build on it.  

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

Adley definitely stole a few for him. Love it.

I know Ben McDonald thinks Adley is stealing strikes but I'm still skeptical that moving the glove after catching the ball steals strikes.  I guess it can't hurt.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I know Ben McDonald thinks Adley is stealing strikes but I'm still skeptical that moving the glove after catching the ball steals strikes.  I guess it can't hurt.

Adley's baseball savant says he's like 98th percentile for framing. For what it's worth anyway.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The first couple days after he joined the team, I though Adley’s move of the glove after receiving the ball was a bit too exaggerated and he wasn’t getting calls.  That changed very quickly and now to me the adjustments he makes are very subtle, especially on low pitches.   But just as importantly, he can catch a ball and hold it very still.   He doesn’t lose any strikes by having the pitch’s momentum carry his glove outside the zone when he catches a tailing pitch on the corner, the glove stays right there.  He’s also really good at being a still target when the pitcher is in his windup, something Severino and Wynns were terrible at.  

Another thing I’m noticing about Adley is that his throws to 3B are lightning fast.  He’s beaten some runners by embarrassing amounts several times, including last night when the ball arrived three feet ahead of the runner but he nearly evaded Urias’ sloppy tag.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I believe the technique of holding the glove in such a way that the lower part of the mitt is on the corner, but the ball is caught in the webbing is more effective than catching the ball out of the zone and jerking the glove back into the zone.  The umpire will usually notice that movement.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost in the excitement of the 8th inning  comeback, I thought Bradish pitched a pretty solid game last night.  He tired in the 6th inning, which was understanding because it was still 90 degrees out there and extremely muggy, with almost no breeze whatsoever before the storm blew in after Bradish departed.  He ended up being charged with 3 ER, but was the victim of a very poor relay from Mullins to Odor to Rutschman when the runner should have been dead to rights, and then the final run scored when Baker coughed up a three run homer.  I’d count this start as a solid outing.