Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

35 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just frustrated. The Tides season is starting tonight no Rodriguez. Hall and Baumler stay in extended. Rom in AA. They are just very frustrating in how they want to SLOWLY develop their pitching. I would absolutely hate to be drafted by the Orioles if I were a pitcher. You know you will barely pitch, have strict pitch limits, and move very slowly through the system. 

As a fan it sucks because I want to see these guys in Baltimore or hell, at least on opening night of their affiliates, but alas the Orioles could give two hoots about whether their fans are getting excited or not.

At least in Hall’s case, Elias was pretty explicit that they are trying to conserve his innings early because he’ll be on a limit and they want a good number of those innings to be in Baltimore, not the minors.   If so, I will gladly take that tradeoff.  

I don’t know why Grayson isn’t starting tonight, but it could be a mini version of that.  He can get called up any time after April 18 and not get a full year of service, so maybe they don’t want him burning too many innings in AAA before they call him up and stick him in the rotation.  But, we’ll see.   

I agree that Rom at Bowie is kind of a bummer.   Last year we saw both Bradish and Smith get promoted to AAA very quickly, so hopefully it’ll be the same way with Rom If he has a good start.   Meanwhile, I’m hoping maybe I’ll be able to see him pitch before he moves up.

• Upvote 2

I am happy to see Wells pitching so well.   Now the O's need two more starters.   Maybe we will have to wait a month for Grayson and Bradish.   I am still high on Baumann.   Loved the 98 mph fastball and the nasty curve the other day. But I really have no idea where the O's will pitch him to begin the season.   

By the way I think Tony was referring to himself.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who said that?

I've been saying since last summer he should get a chance to start.  And the idea of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it," is a limiting one.  This team is in no position to not turn over every stone in the hunt for starting pitching.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It is what it is.

He missed time last year and I think he'll miss time this year.

Hope I'm wrong but pretending it isn't a possibility won't change anything.

Do you think the odds of that change depending on whether he's starting or relieving?

Of course, he is in no position to to take the ball 35 times and pitch 200 innings.

Just now, Pickles said:

Do you think the odds of that change depending on whether he's starting or relieving?

Of course, he is in no position to to take the ball 35 times and pitch 200 innings.

No idea.

Every pitcher is different.  Some have problems with the number of pitches in an appearance when starting, another might have an issue with pitching back to back days or having to warm up so often.

I could easily be wrong, it's just a feeling.  Anytime a young pitcher has a history of injury my default is pretty much that he's going to miss some time in any given season.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No idea.

Every pitcher is different.  Some have problems with the number of pitches in an appearance when starting, another might have an issue with pitching back to back days or having to warm up so often.

I could easily be wrong, it's just a feeling.  Anytime a young pitcher has a history of injury my default is pretty much that he's going to miss some time in any given season.

I mean, betting on pitchers to get injured is a pretty safe one.

And in this case, you're correct, even by default.

Wells isn't ready to take a full seasons worth of starts.  They're going to have to limit, and shut him down at some point.

Just now, Pickles said:

I mean, betting on pitchers to get injured is a pretty safe one.

And in this case, you're correct, even by default.

Wells isn't ready to take a full seasons worth of starts.  They're going to have to limit, and shut him down at some point.

If he's healthy all season and they shut him down because of a predetermined innings limit I'll gladly count that as an L.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he's healthy all season and they shut him down because of a predetermined innings limit I'll gladly count that as an L.

It will be interesting to see how they use him.

If he makes 30 starts and gives you 3-4 innings a turn, that's well within his innings goal for this year imo.

But they just let him pitch 3.2 in Spring Training.  Are they going to use him more conventionally and shoot for a higher innings total?

10 hours ago, Pickles said:

I've been saying since last summer he should get a chance to start.  And the idea of "If it isn't broke, don't fix it," is a limiting one.  This team is in no position to not turn over every stone in the hunt for starting pitching.

I was pulling Tony's leg.  Pretty sure he said that.