Tyler Wells 2022

Il BuonO

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nothing is more overblown by fans than “how a catcher calls a game” especially since most of the direction is coming from the dugout.

Unless Bemboom has an ear piece to the dugout, I don't know how that's possible. He's not looking over for signs every pitch. If you can prove this theory is true, I'll change my tune, but I don't really see it. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Unless Bemboom has an ear piece to the dugout, I don't know how that's possible. He's not looking over for signs every pitch. If you can prove this theory is true, I'll change my tune, but I don't really see it. 

I saw him looking over.  Not sure how often but he’s doing it.

Anyway, do you have any evidence that supports the idea of pitch calling and how it effects the outcome of a game?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I saw him looking over.  Not sure how often but he’s doing it.

Anyway, do you have any evidence that supports the idea of pitch calling and how it effects the outcome of a game?

Even if he isn't looking over, the gameplan on how to pitch each hitter isn't formulated by the catcher. It is designed by the coaching staff and it is up to the pitcher and catcher to execute the gameplan. The catcher has the least impact of the three parties on how well the plan is implemented, because he neither designs nor executes the plan, he merely relays it to the pitcher.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Even if he isn't looking over, the gameplan on how to pitch each hitter isn't formulated by the catcher. It is designed by the coaching staff and it is up to the pitcher and catcher to execute the gameplan. The catcher has the least impact of the three parties on how well the plan is implemented, because he neither designs nor executes the plan, he merely relays it to the pitcher.

Always found it funny when a pitcher says the catcher called a great game after giving up one run.Then the next time out the same pitcher gave up 6 in three innings and pitched crapoy. Want to hear the pitcher say that catcher sucked tonight and what the hell was he calling.

Grayson phrased this politely after his game two nights ago.   Letting them...heh.

https://www.mlb.com/news/grayson-rodriguez-continues-to-dominate-at-triple-a?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

“At first, any catcher you throw to takes some getting used to. Me and Adley have been throwing to each other for almost three years now, so it’s definitely different not having him behind the plate," said Rodriguez. "You gel quickly with the catchers. I think our organization does a good job of letting them all call the same game.”

• Upvote 1

No need to move Wells out of the rotation yet. Hell, they haven't even let him throw 65 pitches yet. He has not looked great overall obviously and needs way too many pitches to get through innings, but I'd keep him in the rotation until at least 2-3 more starts to see how he does. 

If it doesn't look better, then you can move him to a bulk role or maybe a late inning guy.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tony-OH said:

No need to move Wells out of the rotation yet. Hell, they haven't even let him throw 65 pitches yet. He has not looked great overall obviously and needs way too many pitches to get through innings, but I'd keep him in the rotation until at least 2-3 more starts to see how he does. 

If it doesn't look better, then you can move him to a bulk role or maybe a late inning guy.

If you are going to try him in the rotation you have to give him more rope. 

These seasons should be for things like trying Wells in the rotation.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

T Wells: 9 innings of 2 run ball against the 300 million dollar Yanks this year. 4 innings, 6 runs against the 50 million dollar combined Athletics + Rays. 

Pulling salary numbers from thin air but you’ll get the point. 

I think we've seen enough.  Wells should only pitch against teams with large payrolls.

It's science. 

It was nice to see Wells get on track last night, allowing only one run on 4 hits in 5  IP, walking nobody while striking out 4.   He only needed 62 pitches to get through 5 innings, but seemed to be tiring in the 4th and 5th.   

• Upvote 1

SSS of course but his missed bats rate is way down (and subsequently, so is his K rate)from last year and while you would expect it to be worse, it’s down 5%.  

He needs to get that rate up.  It’s not that he can’t be a successful starter with his current rate, especially since the walk rate is so good, but it’s possible he will be more valuable out of the pen.