Norfolk Tides 2022 News, actions, comments

Legend_Of_Joey

Nice walk off win tonight coming back from being 5-0. Robert Neustrom with a nice walkoff on a 2-1 fastball from a lefty that he knocked to the fence to score Jahmai Jones easily from 2B. Jones had doubled in Vavra to tie the game the batter before.

Vavra making real good swing decisions in the game. If its not a strike, he's not swinging.

• Upvote 1

• Tony-OH changed the title to Norfolk Tides 2022 News, actions, comments
2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nice walk off win tonight coming back from being 5-0. Robert Neustrom with a nice walkoff on a 2-1 fastball from a lefty that he knocked to the fence to score Jahmai Jones easily from 2B. Jones had doubled in Vavra to tie the game the batter before.

Vavra making real good swing decisions in the game. If its not a strike, he's not swinging.

In the interest of being fair as starting assignments often seem way too easy to me, Vavra making AAA after just 184 Bowie at-bats is a nice sign.    I hope it means he can be here in the second half.

Or second week.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Thought it was interesting they got Vavra playing CF rather than 2B in the first two games.  Do they view him as more of a utility guy/fourth outfielder than a potential solution at second base with the big league club?  

I can understand they might want to see if Jahmai Jones can improve his defense at second but considering Vavra is ahead of him as a prospect, I assumed he would be the priority play there rather than Jones who can also play the outfield. 

40 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Thought it was interesting they got Vavra playing CF rather than 2B in the first two games.  Do they view him as more of a utility guy/fourth outfielder than a potential solution at second base with the big league club?  

I can understand they might want to see if Jahmai Jones can improve his defense at second but considering Vavra is ahead of him as a prospect, I assumed he would be the priority play there rather than Jones who can also play the outfield. 

I feel Vavra is being groomed as an Enrique Hernandez-Chris Taylor type player.   I hope some year he can make it so that the 10th Oriole hitter (him) backs up five positions, and the likes of Ryan McKenna, Rougned Odor or Jorge Mateo very seldom take a plate appearance, if a Bat that bad is even among Elias' dozen of Swing Decision masters.

This might be his year to get regular 2B at-bats before Westburg-Gunnar-Prieto-Norby start pushing.

Other angle might be If Vavra's back is iffy again, CF has less jolts, stops and starts than 2B.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I feel Vavra is being groomed as an Enrique Hernandez-Chris Taylor type player.   I hope some year he can make it so that the 10th Oriole hitter (him) backs up five positions, and the likes of Ryan McKenna, Rougned Odor or Jorge Mateo very seldom take a plate appearance, if a Bat that bad is even among Elias' dozen of Swing Decision masters.

This might be his year to get regular 2B at-bats before Westburg-Gunnar-Prieto-Norby start pushing.

Other angle might be If Vavra's back is iffy again, CF has less jolts, stops and starts than 2B.

Could also be a stop gap option in CF if they deal Mullins.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I think it's two fold, they need a place for Jones to play plus they want to take a look at Vavra out there. There also is no real center fielders in Norfolk so might as well see Vavra out there. If healthy I like Vavra's stick and his versatility helps him.