2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

Even if Norby hasn't moved in the O's pipeline, he's got to be trending up on a broader board.

Gunnar's BBs are nice to see as well.  Helps to solidify his floor in my mind a bit.  BB% sits at 22% compared to 12% across his 3 levels last year.  14:12 K:BB ratio compared to 56:143 from last year as well.  Same type of story for Westburg too.  12% BB% last year vs. 18% this year.  61:127 K:BB last year vs 12:16 this year.  Time to promote Gunnar and Westburg to AAA.  Sorry Martin/Grenier, think we've seen enough.

19 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Even if Norby hasn't moved in the O's pipeline, he's got to be trending up on a broader board.

Gunnar's BBs are nice to see as well.  Helps to solidify his floor in my mind a bit.  BB% sits at 22% compared to 12% across his 3 levels last year.  14:12 K:BB ratio compared to 56:143 from last year as well.  Same type of story for Westburg too.  12% BB% last year vs. 18% this year.  61:127 K:BB last year vs 12:16 this year.  Time to promote Gunnar and Westburg to AAA.  Sorry Martin/Grenier, think we've seen enough.

You want to promote Gunnar after 64 total at bats in Double A? 

I'm all for the quick promotions but let's slow our roll a bit.  One hot week or one cold week really swings the numbers this early in the season, so you can't read too much into it.  Promoting Westburg in a few weeks and Henderson at mid-season would be reasonable if they continue to hit the way they have been. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

You want to promote Gunnar after 64 total at bats in Double A? 

Sure.  Both have shown maturity at the plate.  Do I think it'll happen?  Not until the dominoes at the ML level start to fall will it cascade down the org chart.  When decisions are made with the mess (glut?) of 2B/3B/UT-types (Gutz, Odor, Owings, Urias...), then these guys will be impacted.  At least that's my thought at this point...

Curious why Westburg would be ready in a few weeks but Gunnar a few months?  

16 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Sure.  Both have shown maturity at the plate.  Do I think it'll happen?  Not until the dominoes at the ML level start to fall will it cascade down the org chart.  When decisions are made with the mess (glut?) of 2B/3B/UT-types (Gutz, Odor, Owings, Urias...), then these guys will be impacted.  At least that's my thought at this point...

Curious why Westburg would be ready in a few weeks but Gunnar a few months?  

Because 1. Westburg is three years older and 2. Westburg has over 150 at bats in Double A.  

64 at bats just isn't enough of a sample size to make a judgment on anything.  I'm not sure what the rush would be to push an inexperienced 20 year old to Norfolk.  200 at bats would be more of a fair sample. 

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing the next big movers will be Hernaiz who is at #28 and Rhodes who's at 16.

I guess there is some question if Hernaiz stays on the dirt (although 2B and 3B seem like reasonable backup plans if he doesn't stay at SS) but we have a 20 year old putting up power numbers 4 doubles and 5 homers, while keeping strikeouts down.   I gotta think that he's easily a top 20 prospect in the next rankings.

John Rhodes just continues to hit and now he's got two homers and he too, keeps strikeouts to a minimum while getting a healthy amount of walks.    I have not hear much about his defense although I believe I read that he has a good arm.   I would have to think that if Rhodes continues what he's doing at an age 21 where he's about the same age as this year's juniors, he's gotta be knocking pretty close to that top ten door.

With all due respect, I'm not sure how Cowser jumps over Westburg.    Westburg is slumping badly but we've seen him slump before.    I consider it a slump.  Although I'm not super worried about Cowser, I do consider the strikeout issue a bigger issue than what Westburg is going through and Westburg got off to the hot start this year so I don't think it's an issue of the pitching being too good or that they found some weakness.  I just think he's slumping.  Either he got into a bad habit or he thought he was a power hitter after the hot start with power.   Westburg hasn't slacked defensively and still looks like a defensive option at 3B, 2B, or even SS.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

Westburg’s and Ortiz’s performance thus far have really been a buzzkill in terms of any middle infielder help coming soon to the bigs.

I did look up Grenier and Ortiz's career minor league OPS's (Grenier leads by 30) but held off a pessimistic post in Ortiz's thread.  Power Rankings week to week a good spot.

Certainly for me the basic question of in-between Ortiz is could he hang with the $2.3mm thoroughbreds or is he more like Grenier?

48 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

With all due respect, I'm not sure how Cowser jumps over Westburg.    Westburg is slumping badly but we've seen him slump before.    I consider it a slump.  Although I'm not super worried about Cowser, I do consider the strikeout issue a bigger issue than what Westburg is going through and Westburg got off to the hot start this year so I don't think it's an issue of the pitching being too good or that they found some weakness.  I just think he's slumping.  Either he got into a bad habit or he thought he was a power hitter after the hot start with power.   Westburg hasn't slacked defensively and still looks like a defensive option at 3B, 2B, or even SS.

I was starting to feel better about Cowser after the start to the BlueClaws series. Maybe getting Rutschman and Hall in the clubhouse helped him as he started the series going 6-for-11 with three walks to two Ks, but the struck out 5 of his next 6 ABs. I agree that his K issue is concerning long run. Fingers crossed he can figure something out. 

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I did look up Grenier and Ortiz's career minor league OPS's (Grenier leads by 30) but held off a pessimistic post in Ortiz's thread.  Power Rankings week to week a good spot.

Certainly for me the basic question of in-between Ortiz is could he hang with the $2.3mm thoroughbreds or is he more like Grenier?

Ouch, not quite as good a hitter as Grenier is not a promising stat.

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Remember, it's a power rankings. Cowser still had a .780 OPS while Westburg has struggled mightily. Both have been disappointments this year so far.