2022 Orioles Prospects Power Rankings (Top 40)

Tony-OH

8 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I did look up Grenier and Ortiz's career minor league OPS's (Grenier leads by 30) but held off a pessimistic post in Ortiz's thread.  Power Rankings week to week a good spot.

Certainly for me the basic question of in-between Ortiz is could he hang with the $2.3mm thoroughbreds or is he more like Grenier?

Ortiz now has a .209/.285/.364/.649 in 144 PAs in AA so he'll need to turn it on a bit. He hasn't had very good at bats and I'm not seeing him really drive the ball much. 

I had concerns about the bat which is why I didn't have him as high as others coming into this season. Still, it's still fiarly early but really, outside of the 19 games in Aberdeen last year, he's never really hit as a pro.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, connja said:

Can anyone talk me down off the ledge with Westburg?  Anything to take comfort in during this slump?

The thing to take comfort in is that it's 15 games. Everyone has stretches of a couple bad weeks here and there. It'll be interesting to see how/if he is able to break out of it. It's important for young players to learn how to struggle and then overcome that struggle. Growth isn't always linear. If we are still talking about this in June, then I become truly concerned. 

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I am less concerned with Westburg than I am with Cowser.   

Even if Cowser ends up having a pretty bad year, I'm not going to write him off completely like some around here (not you, to be clear). Sometimes a prospect has to get knocked on his ass and reset over the offseason - make tweaks, get stronger, adjust a mentality thing or two, and come back with a vengeance. The kid has natural talent so we'll just have to see what happens. 

The only difference between a guy like Cowser struggling and a guy like Mullins struggling is one of them is a top 5 pick. But at the end of the day, if they both have success who cares what the route to get there looks like. 

Development is not always a straight line. It's really fun when it is, and can be upsetting when it isn't, but we'll just have to see. 

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Delmarva has been a big let down this year. I liked the idea of having a lot of international talent on the team and figured some would break out. That doesn’t seem to be happening. Hope they get used to the States and start to hit. 

There really was no reason to expect much better than this.  Our two FCL teams were a combined 29-62 last year. Even allowing for the fact that we had two FCL teams whereas most organizations only had one, it wasn’t a deep group.   Most of the Shorebirds team is stocked with those guys.   The guys we drafted last year are mostly in Aberdeen, with a few exceptions.

I think the basic hope here is we find a few nuggets.   But mostly it’s an overmatched team because our international pipeline won’t really hit Delmarva at full strength until 2024 and we haven’t drafted many high school guys.  

• Upvote 1

If we're not supposed to start a thread for every fringe-y type player, I guess this is the thread to talk about these guys? Let me know if there's a better option.

But Adam Hall is having a decent little season. Little weak in the power department to say the least, but he's hitting .300 with a .389 OBP in Bowie. Currently on the 7-day IL for who knows what reason, but. Just thought it was worth giving him a shout since I had pegged him as a complete bust. 

I don't think he's any kind of answer, but if Martin or Bannon get an extended look with the O's, I'd like to see him up at Norfolk instead of guys like Cullen or Graffanino.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There really was no reason to expect much better than this.  Our two FCL teams were a combined 29-62 last year. Even allowing for the fact that we had two FCL teams whereas most organizations only had one, it wasn’t a deep group.   Most of the Shorebirds team is stocked with those guys.   The guys we drafted last year are mostly in Aberdeen, with a few exceptions.

I think the basic hope here is we find a few nuggets.   But mostly it’s an overmatched team because our international pipeline won’t really hit Delmarva at full strength until 2024 and we haven’t drafted many high school guys.  

I think hopes were that players who did well in the FCL last year like Deson and Moises Ramirez would transition better to the SAL.   They have not as of yet but it's a young team and it's a long season.   Hoping and looking for progress as the year goes on.

16 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hernaiz creep up into the top 15-20 by year end.  Pretty good start for the young man!

Hernaiz is the one guy on this list who I think could be considerably higher.   I'd have him over Dante Williams or Joey Ortiz for example, prospects with utility upside.   He's still only 20 years old and putting up gaudy numbers at Delmarva. 

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think hopes were that players who did well in the FCL last year like Deson and Moises Ramirez would transition better to the SAL.   They have not as of yet but it's a young team and it's a long season.   Hoping and looking for progress as the year goes on.

Yes, that’s reasonable to hope for.   There certainly are several individual l players off to disappointing starts.