Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

Does a player need to be on a contract to be suspended? I assume so, but could be wrong. I just have a feeling the O's knew this was coming before they signed him. Kind of did him a solid by putting him in an org so he can get through the suspension.

Maybe I'm making stuff up. I don't know. lol

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Says 60 games, not 60 days.  So you count Oriole games from that point, even though he hasn't been on the major league roster???

We had played 20 games as of April 29.

Our 80th game, barring any rainouts between now and then, would be July 2.   

So this means the earlierst he could pitch for us would be July 3?

21 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I assume this means that he can't pitch in minor leagues as well.  Or, am I mistaken.  If he can't play in MiLB games, he won't just miss May and June, but have to start all over again in July.

Good question.   I think players on a major league roster used to be able to start a MiL rehab before their suspensions were over.   But since Harvey is not on a major league roster, I don’t see how he could pitch in the minors while suspended.   

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Not sure what the point was again with this signing. Peopke say they owed him one.Orioles have cut players that have took one for the team many times. 

We owed him nothing.  We signed him because someone thought it might be beneficial to the team due to attrition during the season.  That’s questionable, but I can’t imagine we did it because we owed him one.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol anyone want to defend him and pretend that he had nothing to do with Skaggs' death?

And if anyone ever wondered why he had a nosebleed on the mound back in 2015, I think you now know.

Release him. There is no reason (other than innings eating later in the season) to keep him. 

MLB investigated Harvey after his testimony in the February trial of former Los Angeles Angels communications director Eric Kay, who faces a minimum 20-year prison sentence related to the sudden death of pitcher Tyler Skaggs. Harvey acknowledged while under immunity to being a cocaine and oxycodone user and occasionally providing Skaggs with oxycodone pills when he played for the Angels in 2019.

This is not the type of person I want in an Orioles uniform. 

Lol anyone want to defend him and pretend that he had nothing to do with Skaggs' death?

And if anyone ever wondered why he had a nosebleed on the mound back in 2015, I think you now know.

Defending him is one thing, saying he had nothing to do with Skaggs’ death is something else.   His behavior was wrong and inexcusable.  But it didn’t cause Skaggs’ death, did it?

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Defending him is one thing, saying he had nothing to do with Skaggs’ death is something else.   His behavior was wrong and inexcusable.  But it didn’t cause Skaggs’ death, did it?

Maybe not, but his actions sure contributed to the environment that led to his death. 

🎯🎯🎯I disliked Elias draft approach 2 years ago. I strongly disliked him not taking Lawlar last year. I was irritated that he largely sat on his hands last off-season and made little attempt to improve the team with some cheap stopgaps.

but where he lost me was signing Harvey knowing this. The cult of Elias is nuts. Thank god Tony at least this board to reality at times, I wish he would post more. Knowing folks with addictions, there is no excuse for his signing and reflects VERY poorly on Elias. Makes me angry AF!🤬🤬🤬