Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

16 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Then you shouldn’t be taking a corner OFer that high. Particularly when you have no franchise SS. 

Just the other day you agreed with a post about taking BPA. Elias can't do both.

You have to wonder which is the truth:

1. The scouts and Elias were completely and totally wrong about the player.  (Seems unlikely).

2. All guys go through slumps and he's just going through a particularly long and bad one.  (Probably).

3. The O's tried to mess with his swing to generate more power/lift and it's totally screwing him up (possibly.)

4. He's uniquely vulnerable to a particular type of pitch/location/speed and the league has figured this out and he's yet to learn how to adjust (likely?).

5. He needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist for a vision issue (seems unlikely).

I'm praying it's number 2 and not number 1.

6 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

You have to wonder which is the truth:

1. The scouts and Elias were completely and totally wrong about the player.  (Seems unlikely).

2. All guys go through slumps and he's just going through a particularly long and bad one.  (Probably).

3. The O's tried to mess with his swing to generate more power/lift and it's totally screwing him up (possibly.)

4. He's uniquely vulnerable to a particular type of pitch/location/speed and the league has figured this out and he's yet to learn how to adjust (likely?).

5. He needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist for a vision issue (seems unlikely).

I'm praying it's number 2 and not number 1.

6. It's a combination of two or more of the above.  (Highly probable)

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Where are the local writers asking what’s going on?  Talking to the coaches?  Elias?  Etc..?

Wow! It was just yesterday you said this could go on another month and you wouldn't be worried.  Normal slump. He'll settle in.  One day and 4 strikeouts later, you want answers.  Lol

By the way. I agree with the post above. It doesn't add up.  This is no slump and a hitter like Cowser doesn't go from what he did in college and Delmarva to what's happening now.  At best it's a total inability to incorporate a swing adjustment but I doubt that's the explanation.  I only have wild guesses at this point. Vertigo, eyesight, the yips.  No idea.

Cowser’s season is off to a weird and I would agree troubling start. But it is also incredibly weird. His .375 OBP is like top 20 or so for the league. He is leading or close to leading the league in runs scored. He’s stolen 10 bases and been caught once. What does that tell us? He’s not blind and he’s healthy enough to steal bases. He’s not really getting crushed at the plate like the strikeout numbers would suggest. He’s tied for third in the league for number of strikeouts, but the other three guys have OPS > .900 (or did a day or so ago when I looked). It’s weird. And the more you look at what he is doing well it looks like a weird fluke. I sure hope it is. 

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Wow! It was just yesterday you said this could go on another month and you wouldn't be worried.  Normal slump. He'll settle in.  One day and 4 strikeouts later, you want answers.  Lol

By the way. I agree with the post above. It doesn't add up.  This is no slump and a hitter like Cowser doesn't go from what he did in college and Delmarva to what's happening now.  At best it's a total inability to incorporate a swing adjustment but I doubt that's the explanation.  I only have wild guesses at this point. Vertigo, eyesight, the yips.  No idea.

I’m not worried about it but it would still be nice for some reporting on it. 

16 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Cowser’s season is off to a weird and I would agree troubling start. But it is also incredibly weird. His .375 OBP is like top 20 or so for the league. He is leading or close to leading the league in runs scored. He’s stolen 10 bases and been caught once. What does that tell us? He’s not blind and he’s healthy enough to steal bases. He’s not really getting crushed at the plate like the strikeout numbers would suggest. He’s tied for third in the league for number of strikeouts, but the other three guys have OPS > .900 (or did a day or so ago when I looked). It’s weird. And the more you look at what he is doing well it looks like a weird fluke. I sure hope it is. 

OBP is great but the thing is, if he can’t show a good hit tool and he doesn’t show power, he will eventually just get challenged and be a worthless player.  The OBP won’t be there.

• Upvote 1