Jordan Westburg 2022

Just Regular

12 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

He had to dig out of a horrible .197 batting average in April, where he still managed a .754 OPS. He rebounded nicely in May (289/366/500/866).

I just noticed his reverse splits. His OPS against RH is .909 (142 AB), his OPS against LH is .524 (32 AB SSS).

He could’ve been implementing changes to his swing in April. I remember last year when he got to Bowie there was a knock on him getting busted inside with heat. Development is good. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d still like his BA to be about 30 points higher but .839 is certainly nothing to complain about.  

12 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

The way he's going now just give him a week or so and he'll be there. 

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

He had to dig out of a horrible .197 batting average in April, where he still managed a .754 OPS. He rebounded nicely in May (289/366/500/866).

I just noticed his reverse splits. His OPS against RH is .909 (142 AB), his OPS against LH is .524 (32 AB SSS).

I’m optimistic that his BA will continue to rise, as it has for the last 4-5 weeks.  The bad splits against LHP will probably reverse.  He was 1.040 vs. LHP last year. Those R/L splits really vary a lot from one year to another.  I remember people worrying about Hays’ RHP splits last year.  This year he’s crushing them, but struggling with LHP, who he dominated last year.   

The Rangers this week have tapped both Josh Smith and Ezequiel Duran as they cast about for infield solutions while Josh Jung heals.

Smith after 191 AAA plate appearances.

Duran after 200 AA plate appearances.

Overall I feel Westburg near their ballpark, though of course different team context.

On 6/1/2022 at 9:22 AM, RZNJ said:

I do believe our future infield is at Bowie right now.

I think half of our future infield (Westburg and Henderson) are in Bowie.  Prieto may wind up as a utility player.  It doesn't seem like there's a shortstop currently in our system who is going to push Jorge Mateo out of a job, though. 

14 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think half of our future infield (Westburg and Henderson) are in Bowie.  Prieto may wind up as a utility player.  It doesn't seem like there's a shortstop currently in our system who is going to push Jorge Mateo out of a job, though. 

The Jorge Mateo with a .581 OPS? Or is there another one who hits better?

19 hours ago, waroriole said:

The Jorge Mateo with a .581 OPS? Or is there another one who hits better?

I think Three Run Homer is saying he doesn't think Henderson or Westburg end up playing the bulk of their innings at SS in the majors and that may be right.

I'd still like to see Bogaerts, Correa, or Turner (or possibly Dansby Swanson) added this offseason to take SS with Henderson going to 3B and Wesburg or Prieto (depending on who plays better) to 2B. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I think Three Run Homer is saying he doesn't think Henderson or Westburg end up playing the bulk of their innings at SS in the majors and that may be right.

I'd still like to see Bogaerts, Correa, or Turner (or possibly Dansby Swanson) added this offseason to take SS with Henderson going to 3B and Wesburg or Prieto (depending on who plays better) to 2B. 

Bogaerts turns 30 in October and his OAA has been negative for several years.  He won’t be at SS much longer and you can argue he shouldn’t be there now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Bogaerts turns 30 in October and his OAA has been negative for several years.  He won’t be at SS much longer and you can argue he shouldn’t be there now.

No disagreement, especially on the odds of moving him away from SS.  But he just logged the most games at SS in Red Sox history.  (But yeah, context is key.)

On 5/10/2022 at 2:49 PM, Frobby said:

So far as I know, what the O’s are espousing is no different from what Ted Williams was advocating in the 1960’s.   Don’t swing at pitchers’ pitches early in the count, even if they’re strikes.   Get a good pitch to hit.  Swing on a slightly upward plane, not level.   All things Ted was saying back then.   

True, but you need to be a special hitter to have that ability. If it were as easy as Williams' made it out to be, everyone would hit like him. There's nothing wrong with making good swing decisions but sometimes i think these guys take too many hittable pitches thinking there will be that mash pitch later.

As players move up, those mash pitches become less and less so sometime, depending on the situation, a hitter needs to be aggressive. I think what we're seeing is an approach that is telling hitters it's ok to wait for that perfect pitch to do damage on when there may be several hittable but not perfect pitches that were not swung at.

We'll see what happens when they arrive, but Rutschman is the best of the bunch with this approach and he's exactly lit up the major leagues yet. 

39 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I thought Westburg was one of the top college shortstops in the country a  couple of years ago. Are there breakdowns that indicate Westburg can't handle shortstop in the big leagues?

That’s not decided.