Spenser Watkins starting Tuesday?

Big Mac

Lowther was bad in his first AAA start, because of course he was. Baumann is tagged for multi-inning bullpen work, and I think that's a good spot for him. Wells and Bradish already pitched. Watkins has apparently tweaked some things and really impressed scouts. Actually kind of excited to see what he does.

He's up because one your young guys that you want to see, Kremer, is hurt. It's wild that you think Lowther would come up in an emergency when he literally just pitched. 

Bradish and the like will be up soon. We're going to see a lot of players again this year. If it's any consolation, at least Stewart isn't on the roster. 

4 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

According to Roch, he's a "leading candidate".  If so, this is a little ridiculous given all of the young arms we need to take a look at.  A guy like Watkins should just absolutely not be getting starts over Baumann, Lowther, Wells, Bradish, etc. 

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/orioles-swept-and-lose-kremer-to-oblique-injury

I know they've only played 3 games in 2022, but this is already shaping up to be a disaster of a season. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Lowther was bad in his first AAA start, because of course he was. Baumann is tagged for multi-inning bullpen work, and I think that's a good spot for him. Wells and Bradish already pitched. Watkins has apparently tweaked some things and really impressed scouts. Actually kind of excited to see what he does.

He's up because one your young guys that you want to see, Kremer, is hurt. It's wild that you think Lowther would come up in an emergency when he literally just pitched. 

Bradish and the like will be up soon. We're going to see a lot of players again this year. If it's any consolation, at least Stewart isn't on the roster. 

I wasn't advocating for Lowther to make this start specifically.  However, if you wanted him to make this start you could have just not optioned him and had him make a start at Norfolk.  Let's not act like this was some unavoidable situation because of availability. 

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

I wasn't advocating for Lowther to make this start specifically.  However, if you wanted him to make this start you could have just not optioned him and had him make a start at Norfolk.  Let's not act like this was some unavoidable situation because of availability. 

As already stated, Lowther did poorly at his first start in AAA.  What makes you think you'd love him as a ML?  What are your criteria, if not having success at AAA?

38 minutes ago, justD said:

As already stated, Lowther did poorly at his first start in AAA.  What makes you think you'd love him as a ML?  What are your criteria, if not having success at AAA?

Spenser Watkins has a 6.42 career ERA in AAA

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Pathetic but yea, this is the year the young guys are going to get their chance!  

There’s really no other way to describe Watkins starting the 5th game of the season than pathetic. It’s not like they didn’t have a whole offseason to address the worst pitching staff of all time, and the only thing they did was sign Lyles. 

Watkins is the kind of guy that should only get a call up when it’s the middle of the season and you’ve had a rash of pitching injuries so you need him to eat some innings. The ML team continues to hit new lows. 

• Upvote 2

What's the definition of insanity? Oh yeah, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I've got nothing here. Anyone seen or heard from Baumann? I'm sure they'll pitch him after being off for ten or more days and then he'll do bad and then they'll send him down. 

I'm beginning to have serious questions that they have any idea at all on how to develop pitching.

Who knows about Watkins? Maybe he developed something this offseason but this is a real headscratcher.

This is the year to find out about our young pitching and Lowther and Bradish are in AAA and Watkins and Wells are here. Okie dokie, you say so.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, waroriole said:

There’s really no other way to describe Watkins starting the 5th game of the season than pathetic. It’s not like they didn’t have a whole offseason to address the worst pitching staff of all time, and the only thing they did was sign Lyles. 

Watkins is the kind of guy that should only get a call up when it’s the middle of the season and you’ve had a rash of pitching injuries so you need him to eat some innings. The ML team continues to hit new lows. 

Can't argue with anything here. It's pretty embarrassing and shows the process may not be such a great plan afterall.