Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

10 hours ago, Hallas said:

Instead of having the exact direction and exit velocity of every ball hit, they have a scout saying, "big man hit ball far, he usually pulls the ball." 

This spring I was an assistant coach for Little League rookies (KG and 1st grade), and roaming the dirt when we were out in the field I tried telling the kids approximately this so they could anticipate like Cal, but more often they wanted to plop down and make piles.

Gunnar's defense this year - my main takeaway has been in the Bowie chunk just how much his chances/game exceeded Westburg's.    I still feel neither a MLB SS, but I give Gunnar a little edge, with Westburg alongside him at 2B sharing in captaining the middle infield duties.

If Mayo can stick as a gigantic 3B, one of the thoroughbreds covering SS at least a little bit helpful for fitting Top Nine bats into a lineup.

Since his big day hitting for the cycle last week, Gunnar has gone ice cold, hitting .120/.185/.160 over the last six games with 13 strikeouts in 27 PA.   So the express train to Baltimore may be slowing down.   

On 7/2/2022 at 9:08 AM, Just Regular said:

This spring I was an assistant coach for Little League rookies (KG and 1st grade), and roaming the dirt when we were out in the field I tried telling the kids approximately this so they could anticipate like Cal, but more often they wanted to plop down and make piles.

Gunnar's defense this year - my main takeaway has been in the Bowie chunk just how much his chances/game exceeded Westburg's.    I still feel neither a MLB SS, but I give Gunnar a little edge, with Westburg alongside him at 2B sharing in captaining the middle infield duties.

If Mayo can stick as a gigantic 3B, one of the thoroughbreds covering SS at least a little bit helpful for fitting Top Nine bats into a lineup.

He actually had been slumping before then too.  He had seen his OpS drop into the 900s and then he had a few good games and now back to slumping.

BP published its midseason Top 50 this morning.   Numero uno.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/75892/2022-prospects-the-midseason-top-50/

They like all the Tier 2 Orioles for Top 50 border and place the Five Guys you'd guess 1-6-43-50-54.

Let's see if Heston can catch Tier 2.     Druw Jones I'm guessing would land in Tier 1.5.    I'd guess if those seven guys have solid to good summers and everyone is <44 days, etc, Adley-less offseason lists could look like 3-5-15-33-38-42-45.

And then Jordan Westburg does whatever it is in the power of an NCAA guy with "only" a ~$2.5mm bonus to do.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/75892/2022-prospects-the-midseason-top-50/

They like all the Tier 2 Orioles for Top 50 border and place the Five Guys you'd guess 1-6-43-50-54.

Let's see if Heston can catch Tier 2.     Druw Jones I'm guessing would land in Tier 1.5.    I'd guess if those seven guys have solid to good summers and everyone is <44 days, etc, Adley-less offseason lists could look like 3-5-15-33-38-42-45.

And then Jordan Westburg does whatever it is in the power of an NCAA guy with "only" a ~$2.5mm bonus to do.

Their TOP 50 podcast dropped last night and is free.  Check it out on your favorite podcast service.  Lots of Gunnar talk.  Also, their top 10 talk is really interesting in terms of how they view prospects with holes in their games differently due to their org.  They don't tie this directly to Gunnar, but note that he is the only one without holes in their top 10 despite having them in the recent past. Pretty great stuff in the first third of the show.

Still view him as more than likely a 3B.  Spent exceptionally little time on Grayson.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I'd expect Grayson higher than Gunnar. Was Gunnar really #1? 

Honestly I have no idea how to rank 43-50-54 as they are all pretty close together. Cowser/Hall/Westburg? 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd expect Grayson higher than Gunnar. Was Gunnar really #1? 

Honestly I have no idea how to rank 43-50-54 as they are all pretty close together. Cowser/Hall/Westburg? 

They had Mayo not Westburg as the third guy in Tier 2.

And yea pretty close...regular plug this is where even list-makers say lists are to draw clicks and don't over-invest in the "false precision" 43 v. 50 v. 54 implies.     They are all ours until some of them go for a two October pitcher, or Austin Hays is relegated to a bench role.

Now if Druw Jones is genuinely an outlier at the top of the bell curve, that's where the closer-higher to 100% of slot Mike Elias pays, the more fun it'll be.     Cohen's 5x guess on the real value of pool dollars is aggregate...if you are fortunate, a 1-1 special enough may drive that aggregate with 10x, 20x, etc...

Gunnar at ~2.5mm....here's hoping for 50x across the 6.2 or more years.