Could Gutierrez be at risk of DFA on May 2? (Edit: DFA'd on 1 May)

interloper

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ok, Gutierrez is being phased out, but when do Owings and Odor go?    

When does Vavra come of the DL? Also one of the open 40 man slots might go to Adley, although I would assume they'd just swap for Benboom. Vespi could also take a 40 man spot at some point 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ok, Gutierrez is being phased out, but when do Owings and Odor go?    

Well, I think Odor is safe until Vavra is healthy again and has another good stretch at AAA. There just isn't any other 2B or SS ready to bounce Odor, in their view at least. They clearly want the left-handed bat for reasons, so it is what it is. 

Owings to me can be replaced right now with RIchie Martin as the "guy who can play SS that lives on the bench". I don't particularly care how Martin is hitting at AAA at any point - he's just a better overall player than Owings, period. And he should be our bench utility IF/OF instead of Owings. 

But when will Owings ACTUALLY be replaced? More likely when there's a waiver claim of a guy who can play SS. That's really the only option I can see unless they want to promote a non-SS like Bannon or Jones and roll the dice on only having 2 SS on the team (Urias and Mateo). 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

When does Vavra come of the DL? Also one of the open 40 man slots might go to Adley, although I would assume they'd just swap for Benboom. Vespi could also take a 40 man spot at some point 

Hamstring pulls are tricky so Vavra could be back later this week or in a month from now. And with the way the Orioles never provide injury recovery updates we likely won't hear much until Vavra is ready to play. 

And Bemboom is going to be changing places with Rutschman in the next couple weeks on the 40 man roster. 

32 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So does this mean they are giving Nevin a clear shot at 3B?  

There are two open spots on the 40 man roster now. 

I didn't realize as it was happening last August-September Gutierrez got almost all 60 games.    They do seem to budget nice chunks of time for the auditions of people who are longshots to make it.    Urias-Mateo-Odor could still start any given day, but I think if his glove lets him, this is Nevin's shot.

Strong preference here for Nevin-Mateo-Urias over Urias-Mateo-Odor for the moment no matter how right handed we get.

Nevin-Urias-Cano could be fun to get some runs on the board in Adley's first weeks.

He had to go.   I think we see Owings and Odor for a couple more months.   Maybe they give Jones a pay raise like Nevin and drop Owings.  Jones hasn't been lighting the world on fire at Norfolk.  I think they want constant ABs for Martin.  Vavra getting hurt stinks, he looked like he was going to force himself up.  Until they bring up some IFs from bowie, I think we are going to see Owings and Odor on the roster.  

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I didn't realize as it was happening last August-September Gutierrez got almost all 60 games.    They do seem to budget nice chunks of time for the auditions of people who are longshots to make it.    Urias-Mateo-Odor could still start any given day, but I think if his glove lets him, this is Nevin's shot.

Strong preference here for Nevin-Mateo-Urias over Urias-Mateo-Odor for the moment no matter how right handed we get.

Nevin-Urias-Cano could be fun to get some runs on the board in Adley's first weeks.

I have to believe Cano can still swing it. He was such a demon to play against all those years. Such a pretty swing and HoF worthy hit ability. His range is probably trash these days. 

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, I think Odor is safe until Vavra is healthy again and has another good stretch at AAA. There just isn't any other 2B or SS ready to bounce Odor, in their view at least. They clearly want the left-handed bat for reasons, so it is what it is. 

Owings to me can be replaced right now with RIchie Martin as the "guy who can play SS that lives on the bench". I don't particularly care how Martin is hitting at AAA at any point - he's just a better overall player than Owings, period. And he should be our bench utility IF/OF instead of Owings. 

But when will Owings ACTUALLY be replaced? More likely when there's a waiver claim of a guy who can play SS. That's really the only option I can see unless they want to promote a non-SS like Bannon or Jones and roll the dice on only having 2 SS on the team (Urias and Mateo). 

Why would it be rolling the dice to "only" have 2 SS?  You can only play 1 at a time.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Why would it be rolling the dice to "only" have 2 SS?  You can only play 1 at a time.

Well, because two of them are in the lineup at the same time normally, so it's just weird not having someone on the bench that can play SS. I agree, though, I'd just as soon have that situation. I just don't think they will.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, because two of them are in the lineup at the same time normally, so it's just weird not having someone on the bench that can play SS. I agree, though, I'd just as soon have that situation. I just don't think they will.

But if one of them is in the lineup at another position, they could move over to SS if necessary. 

21 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But if one of them is in the lineup at another position, they could move over to SS if necessary. 

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Why? It’s not like Owings is a good defender anywhere. 

You're arguing with people who agree with you haha. No one knows why the Os want it this way, we can only guess that it's what they want.

Remember all those offseason threads/posts about how he should get a chance and may have turned a corner?  Yea no.

We need to stop sending out guys that are traditionally and historically bad players and just hope that they find some ceiling they may have had 7 years ago.

But hey, Elias did everything he could to try to win this year!