Hyde under contract after 2022

Going Underground

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

And while the players do seem to like him, I don't think it's a great achievement to have a bunch of marginal major leaguers say nice things, or even genuinely like, the only guy they interact with who has input into decisions about who plays and where.

Tend to agree with much of what you said.  But the articles specifically quotes Mancini, Mullins, Hays and Mountcastle, hardly marginal players.  And, players didn't have to go on record.  FWIW.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I also don't think the O's are going to be eager to lose Buck.

I don't really get the Britton thing. I like him as much as the next guy but his success is almost entirely based on the fact that he has rosters chock full of top prospects. Those prospects will soon be at Hyde's disposal. And Hyde will have more success when that happens, just like Britton did.

Unless there's something we know about Britton as a manager other than "well thought of guy who didn't screw up a bunch of our prospects", I'm not sure I see a reason for him being prioritized over Hyde.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't really get the Britton thing. I like him as much as the next guy but his success is almost entirely based on the fact that he has rosters chock full of top prospects. Those prospects will soon be at Hyde's disposal. And Hyde will have more success when that happens, just like Britton did.

Unless there's something we know about Britton as a manager other than "well thought of guy who didn't screw up a bunch of our prospects", I'm not sure I see a reason for him being prioritized over Hyde.

Guys get buzz and I think he has buzz right now.

I have no idea if he'll be an above average MLB manager but I bet the O's don't want another team hiring him from under them.

Big Hyde fan.  I continue to be amused by the fans who talk about how we have no talent and no options but yet think Hyde should be able to win a lot more games with them.

Give the guy a team that has actual MLers on it and then lets see how good or bad he is. 

The FO is/has been trying to lose games and yet people want to blame the manager.  Its so stupid.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Big Hyde fan.  I continue to be amused by the fans who talk about how we have no talent and no options but yet think Hyde should be able to win a lot more games with them.

Give the guy a team that has actual MLers on it and then lets see how good or bad he is. 

The FO is/has been trying to lose games and yet people want to blame the manager.  Its so stupid.

Get out of here with this reasonable take.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have no idea if he'll be an above average MLB manager but I bet the O's don't want another team hiring him from under them.

I don't want anyone to hire him from under us either, but are there teams out there scraping and clawing to get other teams' AAA managers to manage for the first time in the bigs? I think they're more likely to do what the O's did with Hyde - grab a ML coach who had good tutelage under a respected manager with a winning team. The odds of losing Britton seem awfully low to me, but I get it since he was promoted to AAA quickly. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't want anyone to hire him from under us either, but are there teams out there scraping and clawing to get other teams' AAA managers to manage for the first time in the bigs? I think they're more likely to do what the O's did with Hyde - grab a ML coach who had good tutelage under a respected manager with a winning team. The odds of losing Britton seem awfully low to me, but I get it since he was promoted to AAA quickly. 

I'm a talent wins guy.  I won't cry if they lose Buck to another team.  I just look at the way they have promoted him and to me it says they like him a lot and eventually want him managing in Baltimore.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm a talent wins guy.  I won't cry if they lose Buck to another team.  I just look at the way they have promoted him and to me it says they like him a lot and eventually want him managing in Baltimore.

It does look like that. For me, I see it more as they want the same guy getting the same success out of the same prospects he did a year ago. But it could be either, or both.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

1.  Does he actually have any buzz outside the Orioles organization and their fans?

2.  How often does a minor league manager with no major league experience as a player or a coach get hired as a major league manager by another organization?   

I’m struggling to think of an example of the latter.    

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

1.  Does he actually have any buzz outside the Orioles organization and their fans?

2.  How often does a minor league manager with no major league experience as a player or a coach get hired as a major league manager by another organization?   

Bingo, exactly what I said basically. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

1- No idea really, I think you'd have to be tapped into some deep lines to find out.

2- I wasn't talking about just that, I could see someone wanting him as a Coach at the ML level, which would still be a promotion and would likely lure him away.

I don't look deep into rookie manager's resumes if they are hired by other teams.

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I had to bet on Buck Britton against the field on who is going to be named the next Orioles manager, I'm going with Britton. Again a lot can happen in the meantime, but I agree they are grooming him to be the next Orioles manager. 

I think Hyde has a chance to be around when the Orioles are an above .500 again, but ultimately I think Hyde is going to be replaced like Bo Porter was with the Astros right before they made the leap to winning. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

1- No idea really, I think you'd have to be tapped into some deep lines to find out.

2- I wasn't talking about just that, I could see someone wanting him as a Coach at the ML level, which would still be a promotion and would likely lure him away.

I don't look deep into rookie manager's resumes if they are hired by other teams.

I didn’t think you’d know the answers, and I don’t either.   Just musing, really.  I agree that being hired as a major league coach seems more plausible.