The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

MacPhail needs to be more honest with the fans. I don't care about playing close to the vest it isn't right that he carry out these proceedings in secret and spew out disinformation which disheartens the fan base. Honestly, this feels a lot like the midnight Wieters deadline when we were cursing Andy and Peter so lets hope this has the same outcome.

He's playing this to win. If we weren't serious about this he would have been more forthcoming.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BrettMeister86

No way. I think Angelos should petition to be moved into another division. The AL East is a monopoly and needs to be broken up.

Why? Did you really think the O's would sign Teixeria when perennial winners and high spenders like Anaheim and Boston were pursuing him?! Put the money towards something more meaningful. Lock up Markakis. Save some of the bucks for next year's #3 overall draft pick. Do the things the Devil Rays did. Scout Asia. Et cetera. Tex would have been nice, but let's get what we really need here.

We finished 25 games under .500 last season with Roberts and Markakis. Why is that everyone thinks that keeping them will alter the below .500 product. We should not need to save money to sign our #5 draft pick in the 2009 draft. The way to get what we need is to deal Markakis, Roberts, Sherrill, and Scott. This team is going to be really bad for at least 3 more years. If they make the wrong moves, it may be longet than that. The Rays had the #1 overall pick in like 7 of the last 10 drafts.

They could be in Texas discussing Lowe, Varitek and Teixeira. If they get two out of three it will have been worth the flight. The Rangers and Astros were rumored to be after Sheets and possibly Lowe. They could be after Lowe and Varitek as a package since they have played together and both teams could use a veteran catcher. If Teixeira goes to Boston for $184 million then we can start taking care of our #1 problem the pitching staff.

I was hoping AM could sign two starters (Sheets and Looper or Garland) this week before Teixeira signs. I think this would make his decision to sign with us a little bit easier. AM needs to sign some pitching help fast before these pitchers end up on other teams anyhow and we should then focus on signing Dunn if we miss on Teixeira. Boras as I said earlier probably wants to get a few signings done before the front offices shut down next week for the holidays. He has got to be smelling those big commission checks.

Why? Did you really think the O's would sign Teixeria when perennial winners and high spenders like Anaheim and Boston were pursuing him?! Put the money towards something more meaningful. Lock up Markakis. Save some of the bucks for next year's #3 overall draft pick. Do the things the Devil Rays did. Scout Asia. Et cetera. Tex would have been nice, but let's get what we really need here.
Markakis is far less likely to extend without any great players around him. So I think it's safe to kiss him goodbye once he hits FA.

And our draft pick is #5. If you're referring to 2010, well that one is far more likely to be #1.

I'd love to wait until our 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 1st rounders all pan out but I'll probably be in Afghanistan and/or dead at that point so I'm not terribly patient anymore.

Ha! I would like to think the Orioles brass evolved enough from the old Carl Pavano days and are putting on an all out blitz on Boras and Marky Boy. Let's hope they are hiding out down there!!!

Angelos is waiting at the air port for Theo and his crew. Old Pete is holding a sign that says "Got Tex?"

MacPhail needs to be more honest with the fans. I don't care about playing close to the vest it isn't right that he carry out these proceedings in secret and spew out disinformation which disheartens the fan base. Honestly, this feels a lot like the midnight Wieters deadline when we were cursing Andy and Peter so lets hope this has the same outcome.
Yeah, I'd much rather him do his job poorly but tell us all about it than do it well, and the way he is comfortable doing it, and we can't figure out whats going on until the moves are announced.

Who gives a crap if its better for the franchise if he keeps things under wraps. I want some damn satisfaction right freaking now or I'm gonna cry!

If the Rays could contend, why can't Baltimore? Andy Mac is on the right path. Get young, get cheap, get talent. Adam Jones. And get rid of the old, expensive, no talent. Daniel Cabrera. Kevin Millar. Jay Gibbons. We will contend ... one day. It takes time.

Guest BrettMeister86

All that needs to be said is the Orioles have increased their offer, thats all. I don't need specifics, but if every news outlet is reporting one initial bid which has already been dwarfed there is absolutely no reason that Andy should not issue a release stating the Orioles have submitted a counter offer. doesn't even have to have the figures attached.

Archived