The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me too, but I believe the poster's point was that Burnett cost much, much less than Tex.

You can't match pitchers' salaries and position players' salaries... Burnett getting $80M and Sabathia's $161M are FAR more ridiculous considering they might get into 35 games if they're lucky, whereas Tex gives you 150+ games, 25+ homers, 125+RBI, 900+OPS, etc. OH and a Gold Glove to boot.

You can't match pitchers' salaries and position players' salaries... Burnett getting $80M and Sabathia's $161M are FAR more ridiculous considering they might get into 35 games if they're lucky, whereas Tex gives you 150+ games, 25+ homers, 125+RBI, 900+OPS, etc. OH and a Gold Glove to boot.

Smoak could possibly give you all those things at a far far less cost. He was pretty much the surest thing hitting wise in the draft.

As well he should. Burnett is worth much, much less than Tex.

Right, but is the difference (in overall value, nothing to do with actual salaries obviously) between Tex and Smoak $120 million greater than the difference between Burnett and Matusz?

I don't think so. Tex is a surer bet but Burnett plays the most premium position on the field.

Have you seen Smoak's AFL #'s or his minor league #'s?

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Justin%20Smoak&pos=1B&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=475253

The kid is going to be a stud that we could have had under team control for the next 6 years. And Tex wouldn't be the neccessity that he is now.

He's going to be a stud based on 67 at bats?!?!?!?!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

Sure you can. Wanna guess who was more valuable in terms of win shares in 2008?

Burnett 14.2

Teixeira 14.1

Like I said, Tex is a surer bet, that's why he's getting a longer/more expensive contract.

Now Matusz is going to be good, but considering the Orioles could have signed AJ Burnett for 80 million and have drafted Smoak, is that better than paying 200+ million for Tex and having Brian Matusz?

Personally I'd rather have Tex and Matusz than Smoak and AJ.

Alright crew, I need a break. I'll check back later, maybe there will be something, anything new to discuss... but I doubt it. Friday seems like a good day to make an announcement if you are going to do one. Starting Monday, everyone will be everywhere else with the holidays.

In JTrea's defense, I saw Smoak in college and he is the real deal. That said, I think Matusz was the right pick.

There is no way to project how he will progress though. I can name players for hours that looked destined for stardom in the minors that, for whatever reason, just did not have what it takes at the highest level. Either way, it does not matter because we already made our decision. I wanted Smoak, but there is no point in revisiting it at this point.

Archived