Teixeira Watch: Part VIII- Decisions, Decisions

Greg Pappas

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as I am concerned, if Pete gets me Tex at first base, its a clean slate, baby!

This crap all started when Albert Belle got hurt. It changed Angelos. I can't blame him a lot for reacting the way he did. I'm just sorry I've had to suffer for it.

No it didn't. It started with Davey Johnson's "resignation."

What did Johnson's resignation have to do with Angelos getting funny about lengths of and clauses in contracts?

I'm not saying that there were not already problems but it always seemed to be that his whole outlook on signing FAs changed after the Belle experience.

And not paying Jon Miller what he deserved.
This crap all started when Albert Belle got hurt. It changed Angelos. I can't blame him a lot for reacting the way he did. I'm just sorry I've had to suffer for it.

All of those have had an impact, but the crap we're dealing with now goes much deeper. It started before Angelos and has continued through most of his tenure (although now there is some reason for hope). The problem was a complete disregard for focusing on a minor league system and the building of a foundation for long term success. Going out and buying the occasional best FA on the market is no way to run a successful team. It's like trying to erect walls or put on a roof - both of which is incredibly foolish when you don't have a foundation. If Belle hadn't happened and we signed an extra big name FA or two we wouldn't have been any better off towards meeting the goal of long term success.

All of those have had an impact, but the crap we're dealing with now goes much deeper. It started before Angelos and has continued through most of his tenure (although now there is some reason for hope). The problem was a complete disregard for focusing on a minor league system and the building of a foundation for long term success.

True, but as you said that didn't start with Angelos...

My hatred for King Peter is that he took a dangerous situation and made it worse.

True, but as you said that didn't start with Angelos...

My hatred for King Peter is that he took a dangerous situation and made it worse.

He continued the trend of a total disregard for building a strong player development foundation and for that he deserves a ton of blame for where the franchise is now.

I'm hoping that darkest before the dawn saying is true, as today has probably been the quietest and most boring day of the Teixeira watch to date.

This is true. I think Monday is the day. Mark will take Saturday/Sunday to think about it, and so on. Then, bam, Monday, he'll say who he'll sign with.

All of those have had an impact, but the crap we're dealing with now goes much deeper. It started before Angelos and has continued through most of his tenure (although now there is some reason for hope). The problem was a complete disregard for focusing on a minor league system and the building of a foundation for long term success. Going out and buying the occasional best FA on the market is no way to run a successful team. It's like trying to erect walls or put on a roof - both of which is incredibly foolish when you don't have a foundation. If Belle hadn't happened and we signed an extra big name FA or two we wouldn't have been any better off towards meeting the goal of long term success.

WAY before Angelos.

The Oriole Way had essentially died off by the time we won the 1983 World Series. The last crop of quality farm products (until now) were with the big league club. But the Murray/Ripken/Storm Davis/Boddicker group wasn't enough to replace the aging vets that won the title. The signing of Don Aase, Fred Lynn and Lee Lacy in the winter of 1984-85 was the sea change.

My son is 4 years old and has an excellent arm - haven't gunned him yet (probably in the high teens) but he can throw either right or left. Technically, he is ok but I can see him hitting 85-90 by the time he is 10. Oh, and he loves the Orioles and might want to play for them someday...or he won't...:D

He might be our 4th starter.

Archived