Teixeira Watch: Part VIII- Decisions, Decisions

Greg Pappas

My son is 4 years old and has an excellent arm - haven't gunned him yet (probably in the high teens) but he can throw either right or left. Technically, he is ok but I can see him hitting 85-90 by the time he is 10. Oh, and he loves the Orioles and might want to play for them someday...or he won't...:D

I think you know what agent to choose for him.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WAY before Angelos.

The Oriole Way had essentially died off by the time we won the 1983 World Series. The last crop of quality farm products (until now) were with the big league club. But the Murray/Ripken/Storm Davis/Boddicker group wasn't enough to replace the aging vets that won the title. The signing of Don Aase, Fred Lynn and Lee Lacy in the winter of 1984-85 was the sea change.

The decline began with EBW, continued with Eli Jacobs...not fair to blame PA for all the troubles..just the last decade,

I keep reading that Tex wants to play in his hometown but, yet, now he lives in Texas during the off season. What does that say about his supposed longing to play there?

I also wonder about the pressure of playing in the town you grew up in. This may be a Boston thing but I've read and heard from some local athletes that there is way more pressure for them playing here than anywhere else.

This isn't to suggest that the location won't factor into his decision but rather just how much weight it will actually carry. To me, the reason he might want to play here might have as much to do with a combination of the O's offering the most money (if they do) and the fact that the farm system looks to be ready to begin funneling a regular stream of young talent to the big club.

He bought that house when he was playing for the Rangers, and made sense at the time, he was there a while. The only reason they still have it there is because he was traded to ATL, and he got the impression he would get traded again if he didn't sign an extension (he was right.) After he hit ANA, he knew he was up for FA and was going to test the waters, so it didn't make much sense to move their home somewhere to move again and they were waiting to see where they would end up. I don't want to go getting people's hopes up because there is more than one suburb that they are looking for homes in, but one of them is in MD.

He bought that house when he was playing for the Rangers, and made sense at the time, he was there a while. The only reason they still have it there is because he was traded to ATL, and he got the impression he would get traded again if he didn't sign an extension (he was right.) After he hit ANA, he knew he was up for FA and was going to test the waters, so it didn't make much sense to move their home somewhere to move again and they were waiting to see where they would end up. I don't want to go getting people's hopes up because there is more than one suburb that they are looking for homes in, but one of them is in MD.

Didn't he also have a young wife with a baby on the way or just born when he was traded to ATL? Would you want to move your family around if you could prevent it in that case?

Didn't he also have a young wife with a baby on the way or just born when he was traded to ATL? Would you want to move your family around if you could prevent it in that case?

Yeah, they've got 2 kids now, but with FA coming up they knew they'd be moving permanently soon enough, no sense in moving twice. That's why reports have been saying that he was in Dallas this past week, although I'm pretty sure he was heading to MD this week (has in the past).

"Of course, if the Nationals really do wind up having a far superior offer, expect Boras to send Mr. Teixeira to Washington - just as he sent Alex Rodriguez to the last-place Texas Rangers back in 2000. Even the teams that want him realize Teixeira drinks the Boras joy juice - which is to say he accepts the premise that it doesn't matter where you play as long you're the highest paid."

-Bill Madden

Uh-huh.

No insider posts and little JTrea? Deffinately slow around here.

You won't see any insider posts from here on in I'd bet. When things really heat up or get close, there is generally a blackout on communications in the warehouse after the leaks last year that turned into a disaster. Especially when negotiating with Boras, less is more. I'd just keep a few things in mind:

No one is out of the running until Boras and Tex say so.

No one has any idea what the money will be until it is signed.

Stressing out over if he is going to sign here or has he signed yet is not going to accomplish any more than shortening your life span :)

Let's just breathe deep, ride this thing out and not forget it's the holiday season and this is going to be a great week.

I have been in and out all day and I just finished skimming through what I have missed. I really didn't think anything was going to happen today, and I don't think it wil be tomorrow. My guess would be either Monday or Tuesday for Tex to make his decision.

Archived