Teixeira Watch: Part VIII- Decisions, Decisions

Greg Pappas

You won't see any insider posts from here on in I'd bet. When things really heat up or get close, there is generally a blackout on communications in the warehouse after the leaks last year that turned into a disaster. Especially when negotiating with Boras, less is more. I'd just keep a few things in mind:

No one is out of the running until Boras and Tex say so.

No one has any idea what the money will be until it is signed.

Stressing out over if he is going to sign here or has he signed yet is not going to accomplish any more than shortening your life span :)

Let's just breathe deep, ride this thing out and not forget it's the holiday season and this is going to be a great week.

Hallelujah! Sing it! Pour me another one...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I want Tex to be an Oriole I am just having trouble seeing it happen. I have this knot in my stomach about him being a Red Sux. This will be very difficult for me to overcome form a fan standpoint. If AM did all he can that is great but if we get outbid that is the problem. Up here all they talk about is what players the Sux want. There is no concern over money and it is sickening. We need Tex no if ands or buts about it. He is a once in a decade free agent and a local kid. This has to happen. The pepto is not working anymore and my stomach is going crazy. I need a conclusion to this matter. Please go home Tex!!!

The latest from Gammons:

Gammons talked to a source close to Mark Teixeira who says Tex and the Red Sox are not that far apart

I can imagine Gammons in his most high pitch, homer voice saying "They're so close. I don't understand. I don't understand why they can't get it done. Just get it done. You're so close."

The latest from Gammons:

Gammons talked to a source close to Mark Teixeira who says Tex and the Red Sox are not that far apart

LOL! This is right after they walked out and said, "oh no we're getting outbid and we're sitting this one out." This is getting to be very interesting.

I just don't see it. And Gammons has a "source". News from a source is NEVER accurate.

EDIT: Where did you see this? ESPN does not have this in the article or Gammons' blog.

LOL! This is right after they walked out and said, "oh no we're getting outbid and we're sitting this one out." This is getting to be very interesting.

I just don't see it. And Gammons has a "source". News from a source is NEVER accurate.

EDIT: Where did you see this? ESPN does not have this in the article or Gammons' blog.

here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3783590&name=gammons_peter

My eyes must be bloodshot. I re-read the blog and did find the paragraph. Thanks for the link. Well, that is just pure speculation right there. That's really what this is. All along, speculation has been rampant, and we have NO idea who is in front or what the leading offer is.

All I can say is, take the news with a grain of salt, so to speak, and just find out when Tex announces his decision.

Peole are way to dismissive of them. WAY to dismissive. There is a reason Gammons is a hall of famer. He doesnt even mention the O's and neither do many others. Ever think certain sources might be being used to quiet a revolt?

They do get a bad rap on here, both are really good at their jobs. I disagree with Buster's article the other day about how it is a bad idea for us to get involved with Tex. Taking on Tex and salary, combined with smart management from the FO, and the salary control we will have over young players coming up in the system will not tie our hands as he suggests.

Sometimes you have to wonder what the difference in quality of life there is between someone who will make $160M over the next decade when compared to someone who will make $180-200M. I mean, do you have to settle for a disappointing 25-bedroom house?

Can anybody relate to this? I completely understand the idea of someone saying "I want to be well off for the rest of my life, care for my family, and provide them with the best the world has to offer". I just dont understand how $160M wont get you what $200M will.

Archived