Teixeira Watch: Part VIII- Decisions, Decisions

Greg Pappas

Let's speculate some more!

However, Orioles president Andy McPhail said he is “flexible,” indicating that he would up the ante. Should the Orioles add an eighth year, the total dollars could reach $170 million. The Red Sox are privately worried that the Orioles could be the team that ultimately ponies up the most money.

Link

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's speculate some more!

Link

Damn right we should be the one poning up the most money! The Orioles, more than ANY team, is the perfect team for him for all of the reasons that I don't want to list again. But if you've been on here, then the reasons are obvious.

They do get a bad rap on here, both are really good at their jobs. I disagree with Buster's article the other day about how it is a bad idea for us to get involved with Tex. Taking on Tex and salary, combined with smart management from the FO, and the salary control we will have over young players coming up in the system will not tie our hands as he suggests.

I think if the price is that high it will be a bad idea. That is just my opinion because of the lack of pitching. Matusz is projected as a VERY good 2. One of the Baseball America guys said Arrieta was a three or four (since he doesnt miss bats) and Tillman is probably a 2 due to command issues. We need pitching!!! We scored lots of runs. And that was with Adam developing. I dont like the idea of being that team that overpays. This IS NOT Alex Rodriguez. He is very good but maybe not 23+ million good. Just my humble opinion

I think if the price is that high it will be a bad idea. That is just my opinion because of the lack of pitching. Matusz is projected as a VERY good 2. One of the Baseball America guys said Arrieta was a three or four (since he doesnt miss bats) and Tillman is probably a 2 due to command issues. We need pitching!!! We scored lots of runs. And that was with Adam developing. I dont like the idea of being that team that overpays. This IS NOT Alex Rodriguez. He is very good but maybe not 23+ million good. Just my humble opinion

The most I've ever heard of an offer was 21 million for 8 years from the Red Sox. This is from Yahoo. It seems like all teams are in the range from 150-170 million for 8 years. Only the O's offered 7 years for 150 million but could increase the offer. So, my inclination is to say that if the O's offer 8 years at 172 million, it is a done deal.

The most I've ever heard of an offer was 21 million for 8 years from the Red Sox. This is from Yahoo. It seems like all teams are in the range from 150-170 million for 8 years. Only the O's offered 7 years for 150 million but could increase the offer. So, my inclination is to say that if the O's offer 8 years at 172 million, it is a done deal.

Well this pretty much guarantees having to go year by year on Markakis the Big Three and Wieters... Having this much committed to one player is absurd. I would much rather have Adam Dunn and pay half the price and get 80-95% of the value. . Markakis Jones Wieters, the pitchers are not going to be cheap.

Well this pretty much guarantees having to go year by year on Markakis the Big Three and Wieters... Having this much committed to one player is absurd. I would much rather have Adam Dunn and pay half the price and get 80-95% of the value. . Markakis Jones Wieters, the pitchers are not going to be cheap.

I really wouldn't want Adam Dunn because of his high strikeout rate, his low batting averages (career .247 hitter), he doesn't hit doubles, but he tries so hard to swing for the fences that he hits for singles or home runs, that's it. Dunn does walk a lot but what good does it do for the team when you just get to first and that's it?

I rather have a player who would hit .300, doubles, home runs, plays gold-glove defense, has balance to all fields, etc. But, of course, that's just me. I think MacPhail is trying to tell Tex that he wants Tex but he needs to have money to get pitchers too, as well as for Roberts/Markakis. So, we will see...

I don't think he's a 23 million a year guy either, but there have been lots of posts on here on why we can justify it, or even need it, where other teams cant. I agree with them.

As for our offense, I think it overachieved a bit last year. Huff's season was a pleasant suprise. Mora had 100 RBI and hit .360 with RISP, a 100 point increase over 2007 and unlikely to be repeated.

And while we can say that we can use the Tex money for other upgrades, there is no guarantee that we will. We offered Konerko a big contract a few years back, and he took less money to resign with the White Sox. I don't remember that money being used to acquire other quality pieces.

I really wouldn't want Adam Dunn because of his high strikeout rate, his low batting averages (career .247 hitter), he doesn't hit doubles, but he tries so hard to swing for the fences that he hits for singles or home runs, that's it. Dunn does walk a lot but what good does it do for the team when you just get to first and that's it?

I rather have a player who would hit .300, doubles, home runs, plays gold-glove defense, has balance to all fields, etc. But, of course, that's just me. I think MacPhail is trying to tell Tex that he wants Tex but he needs to have money to get pitchers too, as well as for Roberts/Markakis. So, we will see...

Meh. I agree with most of this. I just dont think Tex would take a discount to sign others. I also think that Dunns OBP makes up for the K's and BA.

Archived