Olney on trade deadline

Sports Guy

A Mancini comp trade would be Voit to SD for Justin Lange. Lange(Grade 40 overall) was a former 1st rd pick, but has been hurt and only ranked #22 for the NYY. I’d expect a lesser return for Mancini. But who knows how he hits over the next two months, and what the market is. The NL having the DH helps. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A Mancini comp trade would be Voit to SD for Justin Lange. Lange(Grade 40 overall) was a former 1st rd pick, but has been hurt and only ranked #22 for the NYY. I’d expect a lesser return for Mancini. But who knows how he hits over the next two months, and what the market is. The NL having the DH helps. 

Mancini might be a comparable hitter/talent to Voit but Mancini is a FA in 2023, Voit in 2025. Voit also makes $5M vs Mancini $11M. I would expect a fraction of Voit's trade value back for a Mancini rental unless the O's pay Mancini's salary. 

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What would you give up for a 1.5 years of an average-ish DH/1B at his salaries if you were the GM of a contender? Even if I had a black hole at one of those positions it wouldn't be a big return.

Not a ton.  But my point was he likely had more sentimental value.  So I feel like we agree he wouldn't net much.

4 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Just think what Elias could get for Adley at the deadline! Nobody wants to win, just a highly ranked farm system. 

I know you're joking, but it has to be said that Elias has yet to trade anything other than ML relievers (Fry, Scott, Sulser, Castro, Givens, Bleier), ML starting pitchers (Cashner, Milone, Bundy), ML position players (Villar, Iglesias, Galvis), and one MiL position player (Yastrzemski), who at the time was not considered a prospect. I may be missing one or two. 

Point being, the moment he trades a prospect it will be the first time, and it won't be Adley. 

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Mancini might be a comparable hitter/talent to Voit but Mancini is a FA in 2023, Voit in 2025. Voit also makes $5M vs Mancini $11M. I would expect a fraction of Voit's trade value back for a Mancini rental unless the O's pay Mancini's salary. 

Your points are valid, but Mancini makes $7.75 mm, not $11 mm.  

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

I know you're joking, but it has to be said that Elias has yet to trade anything other than ML relievers (Fry, Scott, Sulser, Castro, Givens, Bleier), ML starting pitchers (Cashner, Milone, Bundy), ML position players (Villar, Iglesias, Galvis), and one MiL position player (Yastrzemski), who at the time was not considered a prospect. I may be missing one or two. 

Point being, the moment he trades a prospect it will be the first time, and it won't be Adley. 

Of course but no urgency to keep or lock up core players or promote prospects deserving, just slow rolling and cost cutting. His plan to win is with his next org or when Angelos passes I guess. No plan to win anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think the only way we get good value for Mancini is if a contender has an injury with no prospect ready to step in to take the injured player's place.

The one factor that might help in trading Mancini is the NL now has the DH. Not that the Orioles will get a great return for Mancini, but every team having the DH might create a trade opportunity that would been shutdown previously. 

If we traded Sulser and Scott for a draft pick plus salary relief, we’re 100% going to trade Mancini and Santander. Let’s just hope they play well. 

Call me crazy, but I’m looking forward to seeing what we actually have in Stowers, Diaz, McKenna, and Neustrom. They’re all on the 40 man, well maybe not Neustrom, but might as well look at him. Plus we get to just keep adding players to our system. 

55 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think the only way we get good value for Mancini is if a contender has an injury with no prospect ready to step in to take the injured player's place.

Last night I saw a bit of Red Sox-Mariners, and they had a graphic BOS 1B had a .240-ish OBP year-to-date.

Triston Casas only .360-ish OBP in AAA, working on stuff.    He might need to work on it all year.

Of course I want Trey to get to chase a dogpile, and not sure the 2022 Red Sox offer that.   The 5-game series at Fenway with us soon an opportunity for them - they do seem to be playing a bit better lately.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

And other carrion will circle the carcass too...  We would need to eat the contract and maybe have another piece (maybe an RP?) to get anything beyond a lottery ticket or smurfy prospect.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:01 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I'd like to win.  At some point you have to have mid-career, mid-peak players on the roster.  If that means payroll is up above $50M a year for a few years, so be it. Not my money.

Nice...

The logjam problem at OF/1B/DH has arrived. There has to be a trade soon, especially with Stowers at Norfolk. Assuming everyone is healthy tomorrow, one of these 6 will be sitting. Which one is traded? My guess is Santander 

Mullins

Hats

Santander

Mancini

Mountcastle

Rutschman