Andujar requests trade

Sports Guy

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34040453/miguel-andujar-requests-trade-new-york-yankees-following-demotion-according-reports

Would like to see the Os take a shot at him for third base.  The problem is, his defense at third has been an issue in the past.  Maybe we with more playing time it can get better.  I don’t know.  I would certainly like to try depending on the cost.

I don't consider it automatic that Kyle Stowers will outplay Miguel Andujar in a OF/DH/1B type role next season in a post-Trey world.

If we hold him as a 2023 option for that role it takes him out of Trey's July market as well.

I probably do consider it automatic he's better than Tyler Nevin.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Pass.  Urias at 3B until Gunnar takes over.  Both better than Andujar IMO.

You acquire talent.  Period.  You don't sit around drawing linear paths from fill ins to prospects.  

When will people understand this? You want to be more like Tampa, thats how.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

You acquire talent.  Period.  You don't sit around drawing linear paths from fill ins to prospects.  

When will people understand this? You want to be more like Tampa, thats how.

And Urias isn’t a third baseman. Gotta love the thinking of not trying to improve upon a team that has one of the worst records and run differentials in the league.

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Explain to me why you hated the Odor pickup but think getting Andujar would be “trying to improve the team.”   Andújar has been in the league since 2017 and had one good season, 2018.   Since then he has a .589 OPS and has been worth -1.7 rWAR.   He’s 27 years old.  Odor has a .690 OPS and has been worth -0.4 rWAR in that same period.  He’s 28.   So tell me why Andujar would be a good move but getting Odor was a terrible one.   

Even in his one good season, Andujar was abysmal at 3B, -29 Rtot and -21 Rdrs.   So Urias “isn’t a 3B,” but Andujar is?   I beg to differ.   

Meanwhile, Urias has been worth 3.3 rWAR in his 141 major league games, including 1.3 rWAR this year.  Andujar has been worth 1.4 rWAR in his career, only because he was worth 2.9 rWAR in 2018.   So where’s the upgrade here?

I’m partially just playing devil’s advocate here.   I didn’t want Odor, and I do think Andujar has some talent.  But he’s a bad defender and it seems he may be a bit of a problem child.   I don’t think he’d be any big upgrade for us.  

Andujar has played in 90 games since 2018 and had a serious shoulder injury.  He was second in ROY voting in 2018 and has played sparingly since.  He hasn’t been given consistent at bats.  He may not be able to stay at third, which I basically said in the initial post but I would rather see him there and Urias at second over what we are sending out there.

Odor has had relatively consistent playing time for the last several years and has been bad in all of them.  It’s an apples to Buicks comparison.  

Rob, want to edit thread title with a "plus Willie Calhoun DFA"?

There's another guy to Mateo-ink into the lineup six solid weeks and see what happens.

Left-handed balance!!

As home for Trey, Rangers using Nate Lowe and Mitch Garver (bad elbow like Bryce, I believe) as 1B/DH regulars.

Memorial Day over, calendar says June, moving time beginning.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

There's another guy to Mateo-ink into the lineup six solid weeks and see what happens.

Left-handed balance!!

As home for Trey, Rangers using Nate Lowe and Mitch Garver (bad elbow like Bryce, I believe) as 1B/DH regulars.

https://twitter.com/mlbdeadlinenews/status/1533487511820984321?s=21&t=w9o1atk7Or58tz7Cf4x8zQ

46 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Andujar has played in 90 games since 2018 and had a serious shoulder injury.  He was second in ROY voting in 2018 and has played sparingly since.  He hasn’t been given consistent at bats.  He may not be able to stay at third, which I basically said in the initial post but I would rather see him there and Urias at second over what we are sending out there.

Odor has had relatively consistent playing time for the last several years and has been bad in all of them.  It’s an apples to Buicks comparison.  

I don’t think substituting Andujar for Odor makes this club better offensively or defensively. Odor has a (very slightly) positive WAR, I don’t expect Andujar to match that. Maybe if he was willing to play in triple-A first, but he doesn’t seem interested. I do prefer Andujar to Nevin 

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

I don’t think substituting Andujar for Odor makes this club better offensively or defensively. Odor has a (very slightly) positive WAR, I don’t expect Andujar to match that. Maybe if he was willing to play in triple-A first, but he doesn’t seem interested. I do prefer Andujar to Nevin 

He's a lot more similar to Nevin than an actual major leaguer.  I still remember how good he was when he first came up.  He hasn't been that player for 4 years. 

7 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Left-handed balance!!

Between the two I would rather have Calhoun.  I think texas really mismanaged him.