13 pitcher maximum next week

Just Regular

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Don't like it.  IMO, MLB teams should be able to construct their rosters however they see fit.  If a team wants 25 pitchers and have the guys who have a planned off day to play the field, fine.  

Anyway, I'm sure the debate here about who we'll have to shave off the roster to comply will be enthralling.  

100% agree.  Does Ohtani count as a pitcher?  At what point is a player considered a pitcher?  If a team frequently uses a position player for mop-up duty, is there a certain threshold to meet where they are defined as a pitcher?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, yark14 said:

100% agree.  Does Ohtani count as a pitcher?  At what point is a player considered a pitcher?  If a team frequently uses a position player for mop-up duty, is there a certain threshold to meet where they are defined as a pitcher?

They have rules to handle 2 way guys like Ohtani.   Basically he allows LA to have an extra pitcher on the roster.   

2 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm guessing Baumann is going down and an infielder from the 40-man is up. Araúz, Bannon, and Vavra are the choices. 

Araúz hasn't played for Norfolk despite being claimed on Wednesday. My guess is he was on the taxi squad this weekend and he'll be the addition.

That’s my guess. Baumann down, Bannon up. Gotta have someone else who can play 3B. 

On 6/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Don't like it.  IMO, MLB teams should be able to construct their rosters however they see fit.  If a team wants 25 pitchers and have the guys who have a planned off day to play the field, fine.  

Anyway, I'm sure the debate here about who we'll have to shave off the roster to comply will be enthralling.  

I, for one, look forward to the day where the LF/RF/2B are all really pitchers stationed there so the team can carry 18 pitchers on a 25 man roster.

The NBA has gotten more popular in part because the big stars stand out and can be showcased.  MLB has successfully evolved to the point where even star pitchers have been largely anonymized as 4-inning openers and most of the staff are random guys who throw 10 pitches once every 3-4 days. John Means misses the season... eh, whatever, he was only going to throw 8-10% of the innings anyway.

13 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'm guessing Baumann is going down and an infielder from the 40-man is up. Araúz, Bannon, and Vavra are the choices. 

Araúz hasn't played for Norfolk despite being claimed on Wednesday. My guess is he was on the taxi squad this weekend and he'll be the addition.

I would’ve guessed this, but I think with one spot open in the rotation, and Lyles being questionable, that we should keep Baumann up for length. It’s looking like Baker and Lyles to the IL. Spot starter up for Lyles. Then demote spot starter for a fresh arm. I don’t think Elias is ready to pull the trigger on Hall quite yet, but that would be awesome. 

Arauz versus Bannon for the 4th bench spot. Bannon could spell Nevin at 3B, but that’s all he offers. Arauz is a good infield defender, can play some outfield, and brings speed. I think it’s going to be Arauz. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Bannon to play 3B vs righties.    He can't hit but he does walk.

Nevin is kind of growing on me. I see him as a poor man’s Mancini, and I’m sure Mancini is taking him under his wing like Trumbo did with him. That’s why I like Nevin over Bannon. Bannon has no role on the bench. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nevin is kind of growing on me. I see him as a poor man’s Mancini, and I’m sure Mancini is taking him under his wing like Trumbo did with him. That’s why I like Nevin over Bannon. Bannon has no role on the bench. 

Look at Nevin's splits.  He hit lefties but not righties.   Bannon can at least  get  on base vs righties by walking.  I am not a big Bannon fan but  at least there is a place he can get some plate appearances.

Too bad there is no place to play Stowers.

8 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Nevin has a .566 OPS....

Nevin has a .846 OPS vs LHP. A much better AAA track record than Bannon. Bannon has a weak arm, and I don’t think hits HRs at the same clip versus MLB pitching, the LF wall. I’d be fine with playing Ritchie Martin at 3B some too. Bannon just isn’t an MLB player. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nevin has a .846 OPS vs LHP. A much better AAA track record than Bannon. Bannon has a weak arm, and I don’t think hits HRs at the same clip versus MLB pitching, the LF wall. I’d be fine with playing Ritchie Martin at 3B some too. Bannon just isn’t an MLB player. 

I don't care for Bannon.  My statement was more directed towards your statement that Nevin was growing on you and that he was a poor man's Mancini.  Nevin has been pretty bad so far.