Frederick Bencosme 2022

RZNJ

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s interesting that he showed a bit of pop in the DSL last summer (.141 ISO), but has shown so little this year (.032).  I know he jumped leagues, largely skipping the FCL, but that kind of jump usually results in a drop in BA or an increase in K rate, not a power shortage.  

Delmarva is a pretty big park, I believe.  Also, he may be still in "survive mode" with the increase in competition, just trying to make contact.   Hopefully, he's gaining the confidence to start turning on some pitches.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s interesting that he showed a bit of pop in the DSL last summer (.141 ISO), but has shown so little this year (.032).  I know he jumped leagues, largely skipping the FCL, but that kind of jump usually results in a drop in BA or an increase in K rate, not a power shortage.  

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

He showed a little pop last year in the DSL.  In 44 games, 6 doubles, 4 triples, 2 homers.   So hopefully, some power develops.

Yep. He hits a lot of line drives (25.6% LD rate) so I think when he grows into his man strength we'll see those balls start to get into gaps more. He's hitting very few flyballs which is good when you don't have a lot of pop, but at some point you'd like to see him get stronger and get more balls in the air. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

How is his defense?

Potentially utility infielder of the future candidate?

Honestly, I need to go back and watch him more on defense. I had heard before he's probably better suited for 2B due to his arm, but I have to go back watch it more. Scouting defense is the hardest to do on video because he have to try and figure out what plays he was involved in and then find that part in the game. I wish they had something on MILB tv that allows you to pick a player and result on offense and defense. But hell, we're lucky if we get a center field camera on most broadcasts (though it is improving in most organization other than the Orioles affiliates).

39 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Benscome is a flyball hitter.

His ground outs divided by his air outs is currently 0.69.  Right ?

Same stats last year in DSL.

No, he's hitting 48.8% GBs, and his LD and FB rate were the same at 25.6% coming into tonight's game. 

Yesterday.  A double to RF (pulled) and a bunt hit.  No strikeouts.  19 yo SS batting 3rd for the Shorebirds.  After just 3 doubles in his first 100 PA, a pulled homer 2 days ago, and a pulled double yesterday.  Stay tuned.  

12 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Sounds like he could make some top 100 lists at end of year if he keeps performing well.

I think he'll have to perform at some higher levels before he gets top 100 consideration. If he's that good, I'd say it would happen next year rather than this year.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I think he'll have to perform at some higher levels before he gets top 100 consideration. If he's that good, I'd say it would happen next year rather than this year.

Agreed.  He's either going to have to hit for a super high average, like he is now, or show more extra base power as well.