TT: Dean Kremer - Why is he having success, what's different, is it sustainable?

Tony-OH

• Tony-OH changed the title to TT: Dean Kremer - Why is he having success, what's different, is it sustainable?

Maybe some of his success is due to the Pitching Coach working with him.  After all, is that not the major job of the Pitching Coach, to work with a Pitcher who is struggling.   Maybe after all this time, the advice he was given has sunk in and he is using whatever he was aided with.  Sometimes even a little success builds a lot of confidence too.   

1 hour ago, Oriole1940 said:

Maybe some of his success is due to the Pitching Coach working with him.  After all, is that not the major job of the Pitching Coach, to work with a Pitcher who is struggling.   Maybe after all this time, the advice he was given has sunk in and he is using whatever he was aided with.  Sometimes even a little success builds a lot of confidence too.   

It very well could be that the pitching coaches were able to help him get the extra movement. I'm more focused on the stuff, movement, velocity and command wise. 

14 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Sounds like Kremer has improved from his abysmal last year, but is getting pretty lucky. Tony, what do you think Kremer would look like with his current stuff and average luck? 4th/5th starter, ERA somewhere between 4.50 and 5.50?

I think it's reasonable to think he could be a #4 starter. His improvement on the drop of his change and ability to locate it low and away will help. I'm not a huge fan of the cutter because any mistakes with the pitch ends up a BP fastball, but if he limits those mistakes, he can be fine.

• Upvote 1

We’ll see.  All of this is great data but we need a larger sample size for it to be really valuable.

I really like that the str% is up.  I think that is huge.  But he has to get more Ks and miss more bats.

I’m fine with him getting more starts and see if he continues to build on the numbers Tony has provided.  That said, I would be happy if they dealt Tate and moved Kremer to the pen for the second half of the year and we see if he can be really good as a short inning reliever.  

Obviously, that move is predicated on what he can do as a starter over the next 4-6 weeks but if he is looking like a borderline starter, I would like to see him tried out in the pen, late in games.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

We’ll see.  All of this is great data but we need a larger sample size for it to be really valuable.

I really like that the str% is up.  I think that is huge.  But he has to get more Ks and miss more bats.

I’m fine with him getting more starts and see if he continues to build on the numbers Tony has provided.  That said, I would be happy if they dealt Tate and moved Kremer to the pen for the second half of the year and we see if he can be really good as a short inning reliever.  

Obviously, that move is predicated on what he can do as a starter over the next 4-6 weeks but if he is looking like a borderline starter, I would like to see him tried out in the pen, late in games.

Like Bradish, long term his best role may be i the pen, but with four pitches, I think you gotta see if he can stick as a starter, even if it's a 4th/th guy on a good team.

3 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Ok, so it's up a little, but probably a negligible amount. 

I dunno, IIRC 65% is pretty good and not so negligible from 60%.

What I want to know is if he's getting ahead in the count more often.  I don't believe all strikes are created equal.  So while SG shows that stat, overall I believe that information to be good.  But no one can convince me that a first pitch strike has less value than a 3-0 strike.  It can't possibly be the same value because batting averages, on base percentages and slugging percentages vary throughout the at bat depending on the pitch count.

So while his strike percentage is up, I'm assuming that has to mean he's getting ahead in more at bats and not having to throw a "get me over" fastball on 3-0 or 3-1.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno, IIRC 65% is pretty good and not so negligible from 60%.

What I want to know is if he's getting ahead in the count more often.  I don't believe all strikes are created equal.  So while SG shows that stat, overall I believe that information to be good.  But no one can convince me that a first pitch strike has less value than a 3-0 strike.  It can't possibly be the same value because batting averages, on base percentages and slugging percentages vary throughout the at bat depending on the pitch count.

So while his strike percentage is up, I'm assuming that has to mean he's getting ahead in more at bats and not having to throw a "get me over" fastball on 3-0 or 3-1.  

His first pitch str% is 61.6%.  It was 55.7% in 2021 and 42% in 2020.  League average is 54.2%.

His P/PA are also better than league average.  He is under 3.8.  He has been above 4 the previous 2 years.

Of course we have to bear in mind that we are under 100 IP in total in his career, so these stats have to be taken with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 2