Samuel Basallo 2022

Tony-OH

20 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Basallo just hit another home run today

His OPS is up to .911 following the home run. As I mentioned in this thread, all of the 17 year-olds with an OPS of .800+ in the GCL (which is now the FCL) from 2009-2015 have since reached the Majors and many of them have been quite successful (Soto, Acuna, Devers, Albies).

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Whelp, Basallo hit another homer, his second of the day. So much for that slow start everyone was worried about.

Now I am starting to wonder if he gets a taste of the Carolina League in Delmarva before the end of the season.

I thought I had a scoop but I'm a little slow today.   lol

Maybe another update will be needed later?

Was there today and saw the show by Basallo. First 2 AB’s were just rockets, one to right center and one down the line in right. Later he K’d vs a big hard throwing RH and then hit another rocket to deep right center in his last AB that easily could’ve been another HR, but had too much top spin and was caught at the track. Very impressive and looked more comfortable behind the plate. I don’t think the lefty he hit his 2 HR’s was as tough as AyalaJr. (Rays) but still super impressive

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why isn’t he in Delmarva yet?!? :D

Considering Willems is not exactly lighting it up at Delmarva and basically spent no time in the GCL and just turned 19 himself, it's not the craziest idea to maybe switch them at some point.    It looks like both could start at Delmarva next year and share catching/1B/DH duties.   Willems will still be 19 to begin next year.  Basallo will be 18.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Considering Willems is not exactly lighting it up at Delmarva and basically spent no time in the GCL and just turned 19 himself, it's not the craziest idea to maybe switch them at some point.    It looks like both could start at Delmarva next year and share catching/1B/DH duties.   Willems will still be 19 to begin next year.  Basallo will be 18.

Yea I would say there is zero chance Willems is in Aberdeen to start the year next year unless things completely change for him. 

Good to see his growth and success. Sometimes that kind of thing is contagious for the other guys. I hope he stays there for the remainder of the FCL. At 17, first year stateside and all, no need to push him this year. Especially if they have a legitimate interest in him remaining behind the plate.