Samuel Basallo 2022

Tony-OH

22 hours ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Not that it really adds to this conversation, but I'd imagine that Basallo is playing on an H-2B visa which usually only allows for length of stay that coincides with specific event/season dates. If the Orioles want him in Sarasota for the winter they'll need to sponsor him for a specific event. If not, he heads home to the DR for the winter until ST. 

Which is one of the reasons for upgrading the DR facilities and staff. He might also have a chance to play in the DR winter league.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Which is one of the reasons for upgrading the DR facilities and staff. He might also have a chance to play in the DR winter league.

If you are talking about the regular winter leagues, I’d think it’s unprecedented for a player that young to play in that league. It’s usually compromised of ML players, upper minors types, and veteran local players.

• Downvote 1

22 hours ago, RZNJ said:

If you are talking about the regular winter leagues, I’d think it’s unprecedented for a player that young to play in that league. It’s usually compromised of ML players, upper minors types, and veteran local players.

Sorry, that's just not true.

Seuly Matias, Toronto Organization, Played for Gigantes del Cibao as a 19 yo in 2018-19

Otto López, Toronto Organization, Played for Gigantes del Cibao as a 20 yo in 2018-19

Noelvi Marte, Cincinnati Organization, Played for Gigantes del Cibao as a 19 yo in 2021-22

George Valera, Cleveland Organization, Played for Estrellas de Oriente  as a 20 yo in 2021-22

Jeisson Rosario, NYY Org, Played for Tigres del Licey as an 18yo in 2018-19

I could go on and on. Many young Latin players do play in the Winter Leagues. While the majority of players are MLB and older players, if you look at the rosters of these teams, (I used BB ref) you would see that there are a good number.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Sorry, that's just not true.

Seuly Matias, Toronto Organization, Played for Gigantes del Cibao as a 19 yo in 2018-19

Otto López, Toronto Organization, Played for Gigantes del Cibao as a 20 yo in 2018-19

Noelvi Marte, Cincinnati Organization, Played for Gigantes del Cibao as a 19 yo in 2021-22

George Valera, Cleveland Organization, Played for Estrellas de Oriente  as a 20 yo in 2021-22

Jeisson Rosario, NYY Org, Played for Tigres del Licey as an 18yo in 2018-19

I could go on and on. Many young Latin players do play in the Winter Leagues. While the majority of players are MLB and older players, if you look at the rosters of these teams, (I used BB ref) you would see that there are a good number.

LOL.  I wish you would go on and on.   Ok.  It happens but it's certainly not common place.

Basallo is 17 years old, by the way.    How many 17 year olds on your list?   ZERO

P.S.  Seuly Matias had a full season of Low A ball before he played in the DWL.    

Jeisson Rosario, the only 18 yo on your list also had a full season of Low A ball under his belt.

Looks like I'll stick by my original premise that it's virtually unprecedented for a player of Basallo's age and experience to play in the DWL.    Keep trying.    You did well.

Edited by RZNJ

27 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

LOL.  I wish you would go on and on.   Ok.  It happens but it's certainly not common place.

Basallo is 17 years old, by the way.    How many 17 year olds on your list?   ZERO

P.S.  Seuly Matias had a full season of Low A ball before he played in the DWL.    

Jeisson Rosario, the only 18 yo on your list also had a full season of Low A ball under his belt.

Looks like I'll stick by my original premise that it's virtually unprecedented for a player of Basallo's age and experience to play in the DWL.    Keep trying.    You did well.

Let me re-phrase my original assertion because I see we could get bogged down in technicalities.   Basallo turned 18 on August 13.  He has not played full season ball.   I would think it's very rare that a player of his age and experience has ever had any meaningful playing time in the Dominican Winter League.    As I said, you only came up with one 18 year old player and that player had a full year of low A experience.   So, kudos to you for showing that some very young players have played in the DWL but there is no one like Basallo on that list.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Let me re-phrase my original assertion because I see we could get bogged down in technicalities.   Basallo turned 18 on August 13.  He has not played full season ball.   I would think it's very rare that a player of his age and experience has ever had any meaningful playing time in the Dominican Winter League.    As I said, you only came up with one 18 year old player and that player had a full year of low A experience.   So, kudos to you for showing that some very young players have played in the DWL but there is no one like Basallo on that list.

Keep digging, my friend. That's what message boards are for....🙂

• Upvote 1

Just to put a bow on this, here are Basallo’s final numbers: .279/.350/.424, 6 HR, 32 RBI in 180 PA.

For a bit more context here, Basallo was the youngest player in the FCL. He tied for the league lead in homers and was tied for 3rd in RBI.   Pretty damned impressive for a kid who just turned 18 last month.   The average age of hitters in the FCL was 19.7 and the average age of the pitchers was 21.0.

I’d have to assume that Basallo goes to Delmarva next year.   

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Just to put a bow on this, here are Basallo’s final numbers: .279/.350/.424, 6 HR, 32 RBI in 180 PA.

For a bit more context here, Basallo was the youngest player in the FCL. He tied for the league lead in homers and was tied for 3rd in RBI.   Pretty damned impressive for a kid who just turned 18 last month.   The average age of hitters in the FCL was 19.7 and the average age of the pitchers was 21.0.

I’d have to assume that Basallo goes to Delmarva next year.   

I would assume so to.  Biggest and toughest jump in the minors now.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He is likely the #1 guy in the system with a chance to have a major rankings jump in 2023.

The question in my mind is, is he really a catcher?   If his hitting takes off but he’s suddenly a 1B, that may not be much of a net gain.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The question in my mind is, is he really a catcher?   If his hitting takes off but he’s suddenly a 1B, that may not be much of a net gain.  

I suppose there's some folks with insight into this answer, but I'd wager that statistics wouldn't be much of a guide just because young players usually aren't as developed at defense.

Tony any worry that Basallo already may has already filled out and doesn't have much more room to grow, unless its 'bad body' growth?  I've seen some scouting guys say it a few times, but have only seen one or two videos and obviously can't ascertain if this is a valid concern or not.