Keep Mancini Thread

NelsonCruuuuuz

I am coming around to the keep Mancini school of thought, more because I don't think we'll get anything back for him so might as well let him see this group through the rebuild. Now, if anyone offers anything significant for a DH rental, I'm not saying no, I just don't expect it to happen.  

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I am coming around to the keep Mancini school of thought, more because I don't think we'll get anything back for him so might as well let him see this group through the rebuild. Now, if anyone offers anything significant for a DH rental, I'm not saying no, I just don't expect it to happen.  

Has anyone suggested that you trade Mancini for nothing? 

The decision on Mancini is easily deferred until after the 10 games with TB & NYY.  So no need for any pronouncements now.   
Britt is a good columnist, (I guess that is what she would be considered now as opposed to beat writer), Britt does tend to get a little attached to her favorites, she cried a river over Buck.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, I was referring to my own thought process. Up until a few days ago I would have been fine actively shopping Mancini and taking the best available package. Now I am much more inclined to keep him and my asking price has gone up. 

• Upvote 1

This is a tough call but i continue to believe that this is not just your average salary dump or shuffling off of someone in the last year of his deal who you're not going to re-sign. It's got to be more than that coming back if they're going to deal him and if the market won't yield that then I'd be inclined to keep him. And that's not based on some sentimentality or worry that it will be a bad PR move. This guy really is an important piece on this club. 

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No.

But I think what people are trying to say is that if you trade him, what you're getting back probably isn't a difference-maker.  

I see it both ways, but there's value in keeping him if you think this team is going to make some kind of a run at a playoff berth.  You've said up and down for weeks now that if you want what's best for him, you should trade him to a place where he can win or something.

Well, he's winning here.  It remains to be seen if this is a mirage or if this is for real.  But I don't think there's anywhere else he'd rather win than here.  

Like I said, I see it both ways, but I'm leaning towards keeping him, too, especially if they have another winning month in July.  No, you won't trade him for nothing but I'm pretty sure that whatever you get back is going to be a Nevin type or two.  

I know, I know, I'm so wrong for not wanting to trade him but if you're getting back fringe guys, it's arguably not really worth it.  

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes. If you minimize his value here but suggest we need to trade him, it is implied that his value is less elsewhere and we would receive very little in return.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone that was going to be alienated by a move like this has already moved on.

One of the worst things a GM can do is make moves to please the fanbase.

How often does that work out?

At the end of the day the fans want the team to win.

She speaks of deflating the clubhouse and alienating the fanbase by trading Mancini, then talks about following the model of the 2011 Orioles.

A few points:

- The 2011 Orioles traded Derrek Lee at the deadline for basically nothing except some salary relief, then traded Koji Uehara for Chris Davis and Tommy Hunter. Koji was a fan favorite.  But Davis and Hunter were productive members of playoff teams for the next three or four years. That was a huge win.  Was the clubhouse decimated and the fanbase deflated over that?

- Will the clubhouse be deflated and the fanbase alienated when Mancini signs with the Mariners or the Rockies or something in December? Or is she suggesting that they resign him to a high-risk, low-reward contract so that he can spend his decline years blocking Mountcastle, Stowers, Rutschman and others at 1B/DH?

- As far as I know Ghrioli is the only one suggesting they trade Mancini for a warm body and salary relief.  Presumably to disingenuously boost her argument.

It's not been that long since the Orioles' last two "oh my God, how will be ever compete again if we let this 30-something DH/1B walk" contracts in Davis and Trumbo. Have we learned nothing?

• Upvote 3

I'm sorta fine either way. But the article misses the point that, hey, let's get Mancini to a REAL contender. The Orioles are playing good baseball, but the rotation has no chance of holding up for another 2 months against the actual good teams who are also in the wild card race. 

So therefore, shouldn't we try to get our guy to the playoffs on a team with a legit shot to play well into October? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I'm sorta fine either way. But the article misses the point that, hey, let's get Mancini to a REAL contender. The Orioles are playing good baseball, but the rotation has no chance of holding up for another 2 months against the teams who are also in the wild card race. 

So therefore, shouldn't we try to get our guy to the playoffs on a team with a legit shot to play well into October? 

We should.  And I know that SG has been looking out for his best interests for weeks now, however I'm inclined to wait to see how the rest of July plays out before making that call.  

At the very least, let him walk at the end of the season and he can go anywhere he wants.  I'm really not interested in whatever quad-A types we could get back in a trade at the deadline.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

We should.  And I know that SG has been looking out for his best interests for weeks now, however I'm inclined to wait to see how the rest of July plays out before making that call.  

At the very least, let him walk at the end of the season and he can go anywhere he wants.  I'm really not interested in whatever quad-A types we could get back in a trade at the deadline.  

Can I interest you in a 17 year old Dominican?  I know you like those.