07/26/22 Roster Moves: Terrin Vavra is called up from Norfolk (MLB debut) and Arauz to the IL

OsFanSinceThe80s

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

i wouldn't read too much into the 77.  Tyler Wells is 68.  Isn't Bautista 74?  Granted they are pitchers, but the point is, Hyde isn't going to let a jersey number dictate how often he plays a guy.

Yeah, but both Bautista and Wells are built like Offensive Tackles, so those numbers fit well. Vavra is a WR.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Arauz broken finger, and Vavra still only gets 77....is Richie Martin coming back soon?

Good luck to him!    YTD looks like 2B only a small edge on CF in number of games started.

77 kind of says to me he isn't going to play much more than Arauz has the last few weeks, and we aren't messing with Odor's confidence before the trade deadline.    

Rene Gonzales hung around quite a while with 88.

Carlton Fisk took 72 with the White Sox because 27 was taken.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Zachary Silver said he wasn’t here yet so that’s probably why he’s not starting. 

Well that’ll do it 😂

Thinking about it, if they weren’t going to play him, I think they would have called up Martin (who is eligible)

30 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

Well, it could be because of the travel day.  The injury didn’t happen until the end of the game, and Norfolk is in Memphis tonight.  I am not saying that Vavra couldn’t have started tonight, but I can see why Hyde may want him to just get settled in.  Hopefully he’ll start tomorrow.

You probably don't want to bring up a LH hitter and have him make his major league debut vs a potential Cy Young winning lefty.   I hope he gets in the lineup tomorrow or Thursday.

I know people want to see every young player, but when you are 22-12 your last 34 games wholesale change isn't always the best idea.   Let's see if he can get about 3 games a week while he is on the roster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Was hoping to see Vavra in the lineup tonight but he's not

Hopefully this is because he's travelling and they want him to breath and take in everything before throwing him into the lineup. I will not be happy if he's sitting the bench while Odor plays after tonight.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Vavra is a solid potential piece but he isn’t a guy that must play everyday.  If he can be up here and start 2-3 times a week and see some other pinch hitting/emergency duty, that may fine.

I'm gonna disagree.  If he can play a solid 2nd base, then let him start over Odor.  I know we've got the whole veteran vibe going on and the like, but Odor is really struggling with the bat.  Let's see what Vavra can do, and in more than just a few random starts/at bats.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

They must not expect him to stay long giving him number 77. 

Aaron Judge wears 99.   Just ask the 10,000 Yankee fans who showed up wearing that jersey on Saturday.  Of course, most of those jerseys also had “Judge” printed on the back, though actual Yankee jerseys have no names on them.  

Three Orioles have worn 88, including Albert Belle.  

• Upvote 1

Under Buck, at least, call-ups seldom played their first day up. He wanted them to get the feel of having arrived and ML-level ball, its particular energy first.

If you look at Odor's career stats, there's not a major difference in the LHP/RHP split of his OPS. This year he even has a significant reverse split: .737 OPS vs. LHP / .628 vs. RHP. Let him deal with McClanahan. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Aaron Judge wears 99.   Just ask the 10,000 Yankee fans who showed up wearing that jersey on Saturday.  Of course, most of those jerseys also had “Judge” printed on the back, though actual Yankee jerseys have no names on them.  

Three Orioles have worn 88, including Albert Belle.  

Verdugo is 99.

Aaron was 44, which in Japan, China, or Korea would have been a double-hex.

41 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I'm gonna disagree.  If he can play a solid 2nd base, then let him start over Odor.  I know we've got the whole veteran vibe going on and the like, but Odor is really struggling with the bat.  Let's see what Vavra can do, and in more than just a few random starts/at bats.  

Agreed. I don't want to cut Odor, but he can take some more days off. He'll still be in the clubhouse. 

47 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Don’t get me wrong..I’m fine if he plays everyday.  What I’m saying is that he isn’t the type of guy that must play everyday to justify being here.

He’s not that level of a prospect/player.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Don’t get me wrong..I’m fine if he plays everyday.  What I’m saying is that he isn’t the type of guy that must play everyday to justify being here.

He’s not that level of a prospect/player.

Yep, he's a utility guy with a better offensive profile than Arauz or Richie Martin. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio