Yusniel Diaz to the SHOW!

Yardball85

4 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

If they wanted to contend, why would you replace Mancini with Diaz?

You probably are replacing Mancini with Varva against right handed pitching and Diaz against left handers.  As everyone has said lets let the trade deadline playout.  If you don't trade anyone by tomorrow the next move may be to DFA Diaz and call up Stowers.  You don't have to make that decision today.

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

They aren’t a contender this year with or without Mancini or Diaz.  We can still squeak into a weak last wildcard spot with Diaz (and whoever else we have after the deadline).

But why Diaz when you have better options then a guy who is not on the Orioles top 30 prospect list.  

1 minute ago, Daddy-O's said:

But why Diaz when you have better options then a guy who is not on the Orioles top 30 prospect list.  

Because he's already on the 40 man, those 40 spots are valuable, and we need to know what we have, if anything, in him.  Most of the top 30 would have required a roster move we many not want to make right yet.  We all need to remember that ALL teams have to work within the constraints of the rules of the CBA, and watching the roster crunches and the associated risk of opening up young talent to waivers, rule 5 drafts, service time, number of options and DFA situations all come into play.  It's rarely just as easy as saying 'bring up the best performer' in line.   Other considerations must be taken into account

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can’t remember being so underwhelmed by a prospect coming up. I think I was more excited about Jeff Fiorentino. 

Feels like a fork in the road to me. Unlikely to go well, but likely to come to an end, one way or the other. I'm good with that. 

38 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Because he's already on the 40 man, those 40 spots are valuable, and we need to know what we have, if anything, in him.  Most of the top 30 would have required a roster move we many not want to make right yet.  We all need to remember that ALL teams have to work within the constraints of the rules of the CBA, and watching the roster crunches and the associated risk of opening up young talent to waivers, rule 5 drafts, service time, number of options and DFA situations all come into play.  It's rarely just as easy as saying 'bring up the best performer' in line.   Other considerations must be taken into account

Then him and Vavra should be playing everyday. But I bet we see all Odor and more Mckenna now

1 hour ago, Big Mac said:

Bringing up Diaz over Stowers is far more of a punting move than trading Mancini is. 

Or it's a placeholder until the dust settles. 

Geez, you'd think the O's were #1 in the Wild Card race instead of 3 games out.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Jettisoning Mancini to call up Diaz feels like giving up on the season. Squares with Elias' comments about "playoff odds" when discussing the Mancini trade

Oh my word. You do realize that the O's being at .500 at this point of the season is a freaking miracle right? That them making the playoffs would be a double freaking miracle? 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Then him and Vavra should be playing everyday. But I bet we see all Odor and more Mckenna now

Oh, I agree.  I think Vavra should have been starting over Odor since he got called up and I would sure support Diaz starting over McKenna now.  But with Hyde I doubt either happens regularly.  Still I think the 40 man roster spots are why Diaz is here and not Stowers.  

7 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Oh my word. You do realize that the O's being at .500 at this point of the season is a freaking miracle right? That them making the playoffs would be a double freaking miracle? 

yep, ergo Elias deciding not to try to give the team the best chance this year of making the postseason makes sense. Doesn't change the reality that that's what is happening. Elias isn't general managing to put this years best team on the field 

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

yep, ergo Elias deciding not to try to give the team the best chance this year of making the postseason makes sense. Doesn't change the reality that that's what is happening. Elias isn't general managing to put this years best team on the field 

Just saying that your take seems very extreme in terms of expectations. The team has overachieved and it is totally awesome. But just because Elias trades an average 1B/DH and calls up a former prospect (who was probably on the taxi squad) does not automatically mean that Elias is "giving up on the season". 

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yusniel not getting the love in this thread, lol!  I hope the young man rises to the occasion in his big chance.  Maybe he will surprise us. 

I would LOVE it if he produced. It would not match his AAA output, but it would be super cool if he shocked us all.