Yusniel Diaz to the SHOW!

Yardball85

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I'm just not sure jettisoning Mancini equates to giving up on this year's team unless there's some invisible mojo that's disappeared.

Obviously Mancini is universally liked, and yes, I would much preferred Stowers to Diaz, who is highly unlikely to outperform what Mancini was providing (if you ignore that he plays defense occasionally), but it's not like we're trading Eddie Murray. 

Jettisoning Mancini to call up Diaz feels like giving up on the season. Squares with Elias' comments about "playoff odds" when discussing the Mancini trade

• Upvote 1

Just now, Daddy-O's said:

My point being is that Diaz is not a top 30 prospect, he is up as place holder.  If they wanted to try and continue winning this year they had better options to promote.  

Let's see what's up in the next 24 hours. Lot of moving parts going on. 

1 minute ago, Daddy-O's said:

My point being is that Diaz is not a top 30 prospect, he is up as place holder.  If they wanted to try and continue winning this year they had better options to promote.  

Now this I cannot argue with.

But I don't think this is removing Walter Payton from the 82 Bears. 

• Upvote 1

This move makes a ton of sense.  1) He's already on the 40, so don't have to mess with that at all 2) he's on the 40, taking up a valuable spot.  It's now his time to see if he's deserving of keeping that spot.  Competition in the outfield is very high across the board in the organization right now, and it's time for Diaz to put up, or risk being removed from the 40 man.   It's his sink or swim moment, IMO.  And while I certainly don't think it's punting on the season, it's certainly done with the realization that while it's nice we are playing .500 ball, we are JUST playing .500 ball over all.  Maybe if we'd swept Cincy, things would be different.  And maybe not, I dunno.  But in reality even if we kept Trey and everything else our playoff odds were between 2-20 percent or so, depending on what site you look at.  Those aren't the kind of odds that should keep you from making good future plans.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

I'm positive some of the opportunities Elias is listening on have 40-man ramifications and Diaz not Stowers these 24 hours is the king of all nothingburgers.

Yeah, zero reason to add Stowers to the 40-man roster until you see how the trade deadline turns out.

49 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

Still developing his outfield skills? In the line up regularly I get.  Sorry I am just really angry that they have given up on this years team.

I’m glad we have had a surprise season so far.  But let’s not confuse making a weak playoff with being any type of contender. I want a contender!

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

If they wanted to contend, why would you replace Mancini with Diaz?

They aren’t a contender this year with or without Mancini or Diaz.  We can still squeak into a weak last wildcard spot with Diaz (and whoever else we have after the deadline).