Orioles Trade Deadline Rumors and Predictions

RVAOsFan

As of this post the Orioles have traded Mancini and Lopez for 6 pitching prospects and Elias appears to be in full sell mode.

With a little less than 5 hours until the 6PM deadline, what are you hearing? What do you think Elias will do before the deadline?

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Package for a controllable starter? I would feel pretty good about this deadline if that happened.

Cleveland has some interesting upper level pitching prospects that could fit.

They have to be looking for that type of guy, right?  I mean, go get someone who can be here for a little bit.

Trade Santander.

I want Diaz and Stowers playing every day. Figure out if Diaz is worth keeping on the 40-man roster at the end of the season and get Stowers feet wet in the Majors so he can hit the ground running on Opening Day next season.

Keep Tate. He has been fine, I can't imagine getting more than a couple FCL prospects for him, and the bullpen is weakened enough as it is.

If you have to add Tate to get next season's Lyles, then so be it, but don't trade him for lottery tickets to make watching the rest of the season lousy for no good reason.

Edited by MurphDogg
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Package for a controllable starter? I would feel pretty good about this deadline if that happened.

Cleveland has some interesting upper level pitching prospects that could fit.

Sour apples trade for Cleveland if they do it lol. Stole Santander for free from them. Maybe St Louis bites on Santander since they lost out on Soto. 

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Trade Santander.

I want Diaz and Stowers playing every day. Figure out if Diaz is worth keeping on the 40-man roster at the end of the season and get Stowers feet wet in the Majors so he can hit the ground running on Opening Day next season.

Keep Tate. He has been fine, I can't imagine getting more than a couple FCL prospects for him, and the bullpen is weakened enough as it is.

If you have to add Tate to get next season's Lyles, then so be it, but don't trade him for lottery tickets to make watching the rest of the season lousy for no good reason.

Good take IMO.  I will say, everyone seems to be zeroing in on Santander as being the OF to trade to make room for Stowers.  It was mentioned yesterday on here that there is a shortage of quality CF available this year at the deadline.  With having the flexibility of Mullins and Hays both able to play CF I wonder if Elias has been getting any big offers for those guys.  If the offer was substantially better for Hays vs Santander I could see moving him or Mullins instead. 

4 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Trade Santander.

I’d rather trade Hays, but Santander’s value is probably higher and he’s more expensive (which probably matters). Both have dealt with their share of injuries, and both are mediocre defensively depending on what you believe (Hays’ arm flashes more). This year, Hays has been -3 OAA in RF and -3 OAA in LF. He has a 5.8% BB rate, a .254 xBA, .328 wOBA, and a .400 xSLG. Santander has been -2 OAA in RF and -4 OAA in LF. He has a 8.7% walk rate, .255 xBA, .346 wOBA, .445 xSLG, and a 41.2% hard hit rate. Both are 27. Hays is a FA in 2026 and Santander in 2025. So they are similar, but I like Santander’s approach better and the fact that he is a legitimate switch hitter given the new LF. To be honest, I think Santander could play first (he did play some first for Cleveland in the minors), which would open up trading Mountcastle, which I would prefer to Hays, but I doubt he has a market.

13 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I’d rather trade Hays, but Santander’s value is probably higher and he’s more expensive (which probably matters). Both have dealt with their share of injuries, and both are mediocre defensively depending on what you believe (Hays’ arm flashes more). This year, Hays has been -3 OAA in RF and -3 OAA in LF. He has a 5.8% BB rate, a .254 xBA, .328 wOBA, and a .400 xSLG. Santander has been -2 OAA in RF and -4 OAA in LF. He has a 8.7% walk rate, .255 xBA, .346 wOBA, .445 xSLG, and a 41.2% hard hit rate. Both are 27. Hays is a FA in 2026 and Santander in 2025. So they are similar, but I like Santander’s approach better and the fact that he is a legitimate switch hitter given the new LF. To be honest, I think Santander could play first (he did play some first for Cleveland in the minors), which would open up trading Mountcastle, which I would prefer to Hays, but I doubt he has a market.

I can see preferring to trade Hays, but I would rather look to trade Hays next year when ideally Cowser should be able to replace Hays as the starting corner outfielder who won't embarrass himself in center field for 15-20 games a year.

Trading Mountcastle at this point would be selling low. Hopefully he bounces back to being the 3-ish WAR player he hopefully can be.

Edited by MurphDogg

I think I'm sticking with the obvious here: Santander. It's tempting to start thinking about some more dark horse options like Mullins or Hays, but Elias has traditionally been pretty by the book. Late inning relievers approaching arbitration raises, pending free agents, etc. He hasn't traded a position player in Santander's precise situation I don't think unless I'm forgetting someone, but he's the next most logical guy to go IMO. 

However, if we follow that logic, Lyles is definitely on the table as well. I just think they really need his innings. If Means was healthy, he'd be gone for sure.

30 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Trade Santander.

Diaz has done absolutely nothing to warrant getting a full audition at the ML level and I don't think he will get one.  He's gone after this year.  He was putrid last year in AAA and after a 2-week hot start to the season he's been putrid again.   He hasn't earned a shot and there is NOTHING to suggest that he'll be any good.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Diaz has done absolutely nothing to warrant getting a full audition at the ML level and I don't think he will get one.  He's gone after this year.  He was putrid last year in AAA and after a 2-week hot start to the season he's been putrid again.   He hasn't earned a shot and there is NOTHING to suggest that he'll be any good.

Agree. I don't think Diaz will get a ton of playing time unless he shocks us all and is hot out of the gate. He is a likely a DFA or PTBNL type trade after the season ends.