Cade Povich 2022

Just Regular

Elias in the Texas dugout with the gaggle said he would be in mid-minors by end of the year (I hear that as AA), and the Club feels he has front of rotation potential.

Game Log shows his last game July 29, so his turn should be coming up sometime in the next few days.

https://www.milb.com/player/cade-povich-700249?stats=gamelogs-r-pitching-mlb&year=2022

Of double digit strikeout games, looks like there have been three so far.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Elias in the Texas dugout with the gaggle said he would be in mid-minors by end of the year (I hear that as AA), and the Club feels he has front of rotation potential.

Game Log shows his last game July 29, so his turn should be coming up sometime in the next few days.

https://www.milb.com/player/cade-povich-700249?stats=gamelogs-r-pitching-mlb&year=2022

Of double digit strikeout games, looks like there have been three so far.

Elias and Matt Blood must both drink out of the same jug of sauce, because the way they talk about their minor leaguers sometimes makes you think we're going to have an all-star at every single position, including the bench. A GM and Director aren't going to trash talk their own players by any means, but some of the comments are really reaching for the stars. 

And I'll gladly eat crow if Povich turns into a TOR starter.

1 hour ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Elias and Matt Blood must both drink out of the same jug of sauce, because the way they talk about their minor leaguers sometimes makes you think we're going to have an all-star at every single position, including the bench. A GM and Director aren't going to trash talk their own players by any means, but some of the comments are really reaching for the stars. 

And I'll gladly eat crow if Povich turns into a TOR starter.

I don’t think Elias would have made that remark if he didn’t believe it was a decent possibility.   Obviously you almost never can say anyone definitely will be a TOR starter.  But let’s say he turns out to be a solid no. 4.   I’d rather have that than Lopez.  

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Elias would have made that remark if he didn’t believe it was a decent possibility.   Obviously you almost never can say anyone definitely will be a TOR starter.  But let’s say he turns out to be a solid no. 4.   I’d rather have that than Lopez.  

Oh, I absolutely agree, if he's a no. 4/5 starter who can 5 and dive and keep us in a game (like Bradish today) that's more than worth the trade alone. And to be on the record, I was pro-trading Lopez for potential value and thought it was a decent overall trade. The TOR statement Elias made was just pretty shocking to me. 

6 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

Oh, I absolutely agree, if he's a no. 4/5 starter who can 5 and dive and keep us in a game (like Bradish today) that's more than worth the trade alone. And to be on the record, I was pro-trading Lopez for potential value and thought it was a decent overall trade. The TOR statement Elias made was just pretty shocking to me. 

He's a 2021 3rd round pick, already starting consistently in High A ball, averaging over 12 K/9 ip and over 4 K/BB rate.

Bradish was at the same level at the same age, with numbers nowhere near that. 

So, I think it is fair to see Povich's upside much higher.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Does that mean he thinks Povich is better than Hall? Or Hall is going to he bullpen? 

Hard to say, honestly, on either question. You never have too many guys in that realm. They break so often.

I want to see what Povich is in 2024-2025. Looks like he needs a few years of nutrition and a pro workout program. The video I have seen so far is all highlights, so hard to say. I like the breaking ball, and the FB has interesting possibilities at the top of the zone. I like his frame and overall athleticism, but we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Jim Callis of MLB Pipeline places Povich as the 26th prospect of their list.  And as a 3rd -5th starter in a rotation.   Elias is much higher on Povich.

I can see why there is optimism.  When he was drafted in 2021 he had good command and a FB at 88-90mph.  Tweaking mechanics and successfully adding ~5mph in his first full pro season is impressive.  Doesn't seem unreasonable that he could continue to get better in year two and improve his 4/5 upside.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Jim Callis of MLB Pipeline places Povich as the 26th prospect of their list.  And as a 3rd -5th starter in a rotation.   Elias is much higher on Povich.

I think that the pundits are relying a little too heavily on preseason writeups.  I think he's going to be upgraded this offseason because of the jump in velocity.

I find his lack of on-field results to be problematic though.  He needs to do better than a 4.5 ERA.

3 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I think that the pundits are relying a little too heavily on preseason writeups.  I think he's going to be upgraded this offseason because of the jump in velocity.

I find his lack of on-field results to be problematic though.  He needs to do better than a 4.5 ERA.

His performance has been uneven.  Recently it's almost been like every other start being good/bad.    One start where he went 6 IP and walked one and struck out 10 are certainly are enticing.

32 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

His performance has been uneven.  Recently it's almost been like every other start being good/bad.    One start where he went 6 IP and walked one and struck out 10 are certainly are enticing.

It has. I really need to go back and watch some videos of a good start and a bad one. Either way, looking forward to seeing him with Aberdeen or better yet Bowie since they have better camera's for most affiliates.