Orioles baseball is back, and so am I!

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s good news but I do think OH should get more involved in social media, podcasts, etc….I understand that Tony hates social media (and he’s right to hate it) but this is also a way you can get more stuff out there and more eyes on the site. 

Not trying to say how the site should be run..obviously it has its successes without doing these things.  Still, things can always be better and perhaps this is another way to re-invigorate yourself and the site itself.

I think a podcast (maybe weekly) would be a great addition to the content. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I really don't have a lot of contact with other sites out there so I have no idea what else is going on. I know that MLB made a rule many years ago that online only sites could not be given credentials, but Greg Bader put me under a Grandfather clause that allowed me to continue to get credentials. It was pretty cool to know I was the only online only site to have credentials, but alas, Bader appears to no longer be involved in PR stuff or he's changed his mind. I honestly never got Bader involved since Grondahl has the SR VP role in this area and she made the final decision.

Again, I don't agree with her decision, but I respect her decision so I'm not going to say anything bad about her. It would have been nice for someone to have gone to bat for me, but alas, outside of Bader, no one is left that I dealt with through the years and I really don't know where Bader stands anymore or if he has any influence anymore.

When you frame it like that it is hard to blame the Orioles for this one, but MLB's ruling on online only sources is pretty effing stupid.  I wonder if they made an exception for The Athletic.  They are online only now, aren't they?

• Upvote 1

So glad to hear this, I don't know what my Orioles life would be like without this place and you especially. I read every day even when I don't watch games or pay attention to anything baseball related, I always stop here and read a few threads. My silent nature wont change but I read what almost everyone here posts and I love the content (except when yall get too negative) I have also been reenergized by the way this organization has turned around this year and I am so excited for our future and the future of this place! and even if the O's wont acknowledge everything you do, we all sure do here and we can't thank you enough for what you have brought us! So Thank you for being you and bringing us all together! A million times over!

• Thanks 1

Interested what could be done so that OH doesn't have the designation "online only" anymore that would be relatively easy to achieve?  That way it doesn't go against whatever ruling the MLB has in place and the credential situation could be revived.  Could be moot at this point and the ship has sailed whether it be from OH or the organization or both.  

Tony, I reached out behind the scenes when you considered walking away. I thought I might be able to help keep the site together if you departed. I’ve been posting here so long that I can’t remember how long it’s been. I realized that I probably would’ve failed even with the assistance of your comrades here that would likely still stay around. There isn’t a day goes by that I don’t miss Mike. For many years he was my buddy here at the hangout. Especially when my opinions went against popular opinion mostly over my disdain over what Angelos did to my beloved Orioles. I knew that it would be hard to get over Michael’s passing but realized without you the site probably would’ve faded away. 

Im glad that you’ve reconsidered! The bad decision by the Orioles over your press credentials again stinks of Angelos. It’s no surprise that guys like Rosenthal, Olney, and even John Miller have ILL will towards the franchise under sneaky Pete.

As a tenured member I’m relieved that you changed your mind. I’d like to publicly offer my assistance again publicly to you and the board. If I can assist in any way or role. OH is truly my internet home! We as a community are strong together and your leadership is why the site has never been better. 

Please feel free to reach out!

Best,

Rolltide FNA JohnnyK27 

John Saracino

****I didn’t realize how close we are in age*****

“ SOMETHING MAGIC HAPPENS! “

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Tony! I echo what everyone else has said this site is amazing and I have learned so much and appreciate everyone. It is great to experience the highs and lows with fellow O’s fans.   I come on just about every day sometimes multiple times even if I do not post very often.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

When you frame it like that it is hard to blame the Orioles for this one, but MLB's ruling on online only sources is pretty effing stupid.  I wonder if they made an exception for The Athletic.  They are online only now, aren't they?

I imagine that has been lifted long ago. 

I will keep it short.  I had no problem paying my yearly subscription for all the joy it provided over the years.  I haven’t visited for over 2 years.  Life and the Orioles were awful.  But now I am hooked again.  I post infrequently, but like to read the thoughts, especially the draft and minors.    Looking forward to some interesting years.  Will post about injury information if warranted and I see.  Here is to many more great years and people!!!!🍻

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, backwardsk said:

I think a podcast (maybe weekly) would be a great addition to the content. 

I get that and would like it too, but Tony’s time is not infinite.  I’m retiring from my job next week, maybe I’ll do a podcast!  😂

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

MLb can’t keep up with that rule as newspapers go out of business and/or head to online only.

The Orioles should recognize that on the internet Tony and OH is the Orioles' single best ambassador. And this site has far more reach than The Baltimore Sun at reaching Orioles fans. 

To let Tony not have the same level of access to players and coaches as local beat writers is criminal. 

• Upvote 1