MLB.com on Rutschman: read this and drool!

Frobby

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

This isn't a slight on Wieters at all, but it's funny to think about Wiets running out to the mound and giving Britton a big bear hug after saves. 😅

Wieters was a stoic.  There’s a place for that, too.   But it looks to me like Adley is going to be the vastly better player, if he stays healthy.   And I do like his overt passion for the game.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wieters was a stoic.  There’s a place for that, too.   But it looks to me like Adley is going to be the vastly better player, if he stays healthy.   And I do like his overt passion for the game.  

For sure - I'm on record as saying as soon as Wieters got here things started to turn around. He's an underrated element of why those Buck teams popped. I liked his leadership style and I like Adley's. I have to say though, I didn't expect him to be quite so animated! I knew he was a positive guy, but I didn't realize he would get as hyped up as he does. He's usually only hyped up for his teammates though. You don't see him going nuts at 2B after a double, although I'm all for him doing that in a big moment. 

25 minutes ago, terpfan101 said:

When should Elias start extension talks? After one year or two years of service time? Seems like this is imperative to do with him and something they really botched with Manny, probably due to his knees.

Question is will ownership sign off on an early extension for Rutschman? Elias may be ready to start talks this off-season, but it won't matter if ownership isn't comfortable with the idea. 

I think Elias is open to it, but ownership hasn't shown any interest in locking up young star players (not that there have been many recently). There were reports Machado was close to an early contract extension, but the two sides could never agree on the final money. Supposedly it was only a $10M difference during the contract talks and ownership blew it.

Machado would have fetched a better trade return with him being under contract for at least a couple of his free agent seasons. I'm hoping they've learned from this with the potential for the Orioles to have multiple young star players on the roster over the next few years. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

It definitely says something that Adley looks like a vastly better player than a player who had a 5.7 and 4.5 WAR season at the same position.  And I agree - he does.

I just can't believe how much he walks.  I don't feel like we've ever had a player that commands the strike zone as a batter like he does.  Certainly not in my lifetime.  His o-swing percentage would be 14th lowest in the league if he qualified.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Those eye-popping offensive metrics really underscore why a reunion with Trey in free agency is so undesirable despite how much we all love the guy- if Adley isn't catching on a particular day, he needs the DH spot open to keep his bat in the lineup.

Need the DH spot for Vavra too.

13 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Question is will ownership sign off on an early extension for Rutschman? Elias may be ready to start talks this off-season, but it won't matter if ownership isn't comfortable with the idea. 

I think Elias is open to it, but ownership hasn't shown any interest in locking up young star players (not that there have been many recently). There were reports Machado was close to an early contract extension, but the two sides could never agree on the final money. Supposedly it was only a $10M difference during the contract talks and ownership blew it.

Machado would have fetched a better trade return with him being under contract for at least a couple of his free agent seasons. I'm hoping they've learned from this with the potential for the Orioles to have multiple young star players on the roster over the next few years. 

The O's need to lock up their "star" players early.  Waiting until their walk year will lead to inflated contracts or failure.  Even Tampa Bay with their financial constraints signs a lot of pre arbitration players to contracts.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, terpfan101 said:

When should Elias start extension talks? After one year or two years of service time? Seems like this is imperative to do with him and something they really botched with Manny, probably due to his knees.

Does he have a congenital defect in both knees? MM should have been signed regardless of the surgeries. But that was the era of endless medicals heightened by PAs ownership. “Do no harm”, became “He’s broken, let’s not risk it.” And then there’s the decision to sign a TTO player like Davis from whom they had already gotten more than was expected. Machado should have been extended-at any cost. 

AR should also be extended at any cost, but it remains to be seen whether or not Elias really has control or is the final word from the Angelos family trust. No amount of feel-good vibes from the current team’s emergence will suffice if the rug is pulled out later. 

Start negotiating and save the fan base from wondering if the clock is ticking until he leaves in FA. 

I'm normally wary about extensions for catchers because of injury risk, but I feel like he could switch positions in about 5-6 years and still have a decent career elsewhere.  He's athletic enough to play somewhere other than DH and 1B, and his bat plays anywhere on the diamond.  As long as he can stay injury free while catching I'm looking to sign him for as long as 8-9 years.

Edited by Hallas

Question is will ownership sign off on an early extension for Rutschman?

Machado would have fetched a better trade return with him being under contract for at least a couple of his free agent seasons. 

Or, imagine he was signed and was leading this team into the stretch run for a WC spot. Does  anyone really believe Machado wouldn’t have relished the idea of leading the team who drafted him into battle after all the years of losing?

SD is no lock to win it all even with their additions. The Dodgers will have something to say about it.

Before his ankle injury this year he was having a MVP caliber season. And he still looks good at 3B. Then, he’s in a position to hold down the fort for a couple years while they could have  decided who plays 2B and SS between Henderson and Westburg with a team which only looks to get better if ownership can stay out of the way.

At the very least they can look at the past regime’s failures and decide not to let AR go to the highest bidder after they’ve had his best years. 

9 minutes ago, Hallas said:

I'm normally wary about extensions for catchers because of injury risk, but I feel like he could switch positions in about 5-6 years and still have a decent career elsewhere.  He's athletic enough to play somewhere other than DH and 1B, and his bat plays anywhere on the diamond.  As long as he can stay injury free while catching I'm looking to sign him for as long as 8-9 years.

Maybe even LF.