I truly believe we are the best fanbase in all of baseball

tinman

12 minutes ago, CynBeth said:

I don’t know if anyone else in Birdland still does this but I observe Orange Wednesday.  And do Purple Friday for the Ravens. I have always wondered if other teams in baseball or football have that.

In Colorado, they do purple Fridays for the Rockies. I usually celebrate it by wearing ravens gear on Friday, but I’ve just been wearing a lot of orange lately. It’s kind of fun to be a Baltimore fan in Colorado because the team colors are practically the same, but reversed. 

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Of all of the great seasons (there were some) I remember 1982 the best.   It was Palmer's last hurrah.   He was injured, came back and won about 16 games.  The Orioles were pretty far out and kept gaining on the Brewers.   4 games out with 4 games to play head to head.  The O's sweep a DH on Friday and then win on Saturday.   The Sunday game would have been one of the great end of season comebacks in modern times.   Palmer facing Don Sutton.   A great matchup.   What happens?   Palmer gets bombed!  The season is over.  Earl Weaver's last season.  The team gets blown out and gets a long standing ovation after the game.   I think that was one, if not, the best memory of mine as an Oriole fan, although watching the final game of the 1983 Series is right there and the whole 1983 postseason.  Tito Landrum!  Mike Boddicker!   Eddie and Cal!

1982-83 were foundational for me too.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL198210012.shtml

To this day I have precise memories of listening to the radio in my parents' bedroom (because that's where it was) the Friday night doubleheader (TV mostly had road games those days in my memory...home games blacked out if stadium didn't sell out), and Storm Davis beasting in Game 2 until pretty late at night for an elementary school kid.

I have impressionistic memories of '79 Tekulve the bad man who made me sad, '80 Stone and the '81 strike, but '82-'83 were the great bonding years.    Some of why I haven't been as bothered as any random fan fairly could be by diving embarrassingly deep to peak higher later is the timeline fits well with my kiddo's formative teams matching UP seasons.

He'll probably just want to watch Minecraft videos nonetheless.     

So I won't put in a vote for best,  but will for definitely not the worst. 

I lived about a decade in Philly and more than once while fighting for a playoff spot,  they'd have a bad inning or something and fans would do the damn Eagles chant.   I mean at least cheer for the team you came to see.   

9 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I will say I didn't properly appreciate '83 when it happened.  As a then Orioles/Redskins fan I just figured that the good times were going to keep rolling. 

I think one of the main reasons my 13-year-old self appreciated the ‘83 series so much is because I thought Chicago’s pitching was going to shut us down in the ALCS (LaMarr Hoyt scared me), and then I was living in Pennsylvania deep in Phillies country, and I hated the Phillies. Not the team, really, but their fans. So that was glorious.

1989 was a blast. That second-to-last game against  the Jays was such a heartbreaker, going the 8th inning up 4-1 and giving up three runs. But what a ride that was. 

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I listened to games with a transistor radio (in New Jersey) and an ear plug in my ear waiting for the sun to go down so the WBAL 50,000 watt signal would come in.   I once was able to get the reception of an 11 AM game that was suspended the night before due to CURFEW against the Brewers (was there a curfew in Milwaukee or Baltimore?  Don't remember).   Grant Jackson and Bob Reynolds in the bullpen.

I am the greatest Oriole fan base in the world.   Thank you!

I had to the do same thing back in the day before streaming services.  Weekend games suck since they were generally in the afternoon.  WTOP as I finely tuned the radio for it.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:26 PM, JR Oriole said:

I agree that after the 2014 season, it really changed.  They let Nelson Cruz, Nick Markakis, and Andrew Miller all walk.  And they signed Travis Snyder.  An ALCS team that lost to the Royals by a grand total of 6 runs and was missing Machado, Wieters, and Davis for that entire series was given no chance to get better in the offseason. Compare this to the 1995 offseason, when we added Roberto Alomar to a very stacked but underachieving team and immediately got better.

My favorite Orioles teams of the last several decades were the 1989 and 2012 teams.  Just so many great memories from those seasons.  Had they won titles in 1997 and 2014, those teams would have vaulted to the top of the list.  I really felt those were our years to win it all.    

I can see 97, but that 2014 team would have been shut down by the Giants.

It is what it is. Those teams weren't even good enough to make the World Series

On 8/5/2022 at 8:48 AM, tinman said:

No one is claiming the O's have the biggest volume of fans. We have the best and most passionate fanbase. If you can't see it then you are blinder than a man with no eyes.

This is a very homer view sir. I’m sure a Yankee fan could make a solid argument as to why they have the best fan base.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:16 AM, tinman said:

You are a middle aged snarky wanna be tough guy. I'm shocked you don't have a mid 1960s Clint Eastwood as your avatar pic. I guarantee you that if you knew me or my boys in real life you wouldn't be such a sarcastic smart mouth to our faces that's for sure. Don't act surprised when a passive aggressive tough guy gets met with a little bit of overt pushback.

Your stay here will be short lived. Name calling and threatening posters are firmly against board rules.

• Upvote 2

On 8/5/2022 at 11:07 AM, RZNJ said:

I was just shy of 7 years old.  The first WS I have any memory of is 67 but the first one I remember being on the TV in the living room (black and white/no remote control/ 7 channels) was the 67 Red Sox/Cardinals.

Of course, pretty clear memories of 69-71

I was -5 😂

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2022 at 11:15 AM, RarityFlaherty said:

Definitely jealous of all you older guys who have seen the orioles win a World Series. Hopefully I’ll see one soon. This whole rebuild process has been a joy to follow though. I have been obsessed with the NFL draft since the Ravens started, but I never really paid any attention to the MLB draft or the minor leagues before this rebuild. 

Actually, it’s been a rebirth of the organization. With Peter being incapacitated or out of the loop. The whole organization changed directions. We started investing in the international market. We removed the stupid stuff like not signing players that defected from a communist country. We brought our scouting staff into the 21st century with more bodies, data, and analytics. We brought in a GM and allowed him to run the baseball operations with ownership constantly meddling. We have a GM that has made a plan and despite some unpopular moves has stuck with it. Now he is telling us they are going to be competitive in free agency.

All of this is why the future is bright O’s fans.

Edited by Roll Tide