Jackson Holliday 2022

Tony-OH

17 minutes ago, deward said:

Jim Callis predicts that Holiday will be the #1 prospect in baseball at the end of 2023

https://www.mlb.com/news/pipeline-prospect-predictions-for-2023?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

They also predict Gunnar as 2023 AL RoY and say some nice things about Basallo in the article

Very nice things with the Jackson Chourio comp!

MIL let Chourio 3.11.2004 make full season ball at barely 18 last spring, and he advanced all the way to a AA cup of coffee, and this year's approximate position as the "next" Acuna-Tatis-Julio type guy.

Basallo 8.13.2004 will be >18.5 by Opening Day, so fingers crossed Elias thinks about letting him start Delmarva.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Very nice things with the Jackson Chourio comp!

MIL let Chourio 3.11.2004 make full season ball at barely 18 last spring, and he advanced all the way to a AA cup of coffee, and this year's approximate position as the "next" Acuna-Tatis-Julio type guy.

Basallo 8.13.2004 will be >18.5 by Opening Day, so fingers crossed Elias thinks about letting him start Delmarva.

There is a better thread for this, but clearly Basallo is going to start at Delmarva. It would be shocking if he didn't. The only question is whether he will get pushed as aggressively as Chourio does and gets bumped to Aberdeen if he has the same success Chourio had in his first 60 games.

I'm not sure how many 20 year-old Major League catchers there have been, but I don't think it is many. Part of the reason Bryce Harper got moved from catcher was that his bat was so advanced and the team was trying to win, so it didn't make sense to waste time waiting for his glove, staff management and all the other skills unique to catching to catch up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

There is a better thread for this, but clearly Basallo is going to start at Delmarva. It would be shocking if he didn't. The only question is whether he will get pushed as aggressively as Chourio does and gets bumped to Aberdeen if he has the same success Chourio had in his first 60 games.

I'm not sure how many 20 year-old Major League catchers there have been, but I don't think it is many. Part of the reason Bryce Harper got moved from catcher was that his bat was so advanced and the team was trying to win, so it didn't make sense to waste time waiting for his glove, staff management and all the other skills unique to catching to catch up.

Basallo is BIG.  Of course, he would have a ton of value as a catcher but I suspect he starts to get significant time at 1B.  He started 13 games at 1B in DSL and 13 in FCL.   I can’t think of too many guys built like him who stayed behind the plate for long.   

23 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Basallo is BIG.  Of course, he would have a ton of value as a catcher but I suspect he starts to get significant time at 1B.  He started 13 games at 1B in DSL and 13 in FCL.   I can’t think of too many guys built like him who stayed behind the plate for long.   

I don't necessarily disagree with you in regards to Basallo's chances of staying behind the plate, but there are plenty of recent examples of bulky/tall catchers carving out long careers playing almost exclusively at the 2 spot. Mike Piazza, Joe Mauer, Matt Wieters, Jose Molina, Ramon Hernandez, heck Adley has been talked about as being too big to stick. I wouldn't count out Basallo just yet. 

6 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you in regards to Basallo's chances of staying behind the plate, but there are plenty of recent examples of bulky/tall catchers carving out long careers playing almost exclusively at the 2 spot. Mike Piazza, Joe Mauer, Matt Wieters, Jose Molina, Ramon Hernandez, heck Adley has been talked about as being too big to stick. I wouldn't count out Basallo just yet. 

You make a good point.  However, I'd say Basallo's body type is not really like most of those guys even though they were big. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

As the frustrating off-season continues, just think about Basallo and Holiday tearing it up at Delmarva.  18yo stud catcher and 19yo stud SS.  2023 is gonna be a fun year regardless.  

Your first half-sentence scared me.