Tatis Jr. is evidence for not giving megadeals to youngsters

winning

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think it’s funny you’re talking about wisdom and painting with broad strokes, something a wise person wouldn’t do. 

But since we’re propping up one player as a cautionary tale, I’ll prop up Acuna as evidence that you can give someone in their early 20s a lot of money and they can handle it. 

Or a lot of NFL and NBA players. 

This Tatis thing is a nothingburger. 

80 game suspension.  Padres just cleared out their farm system for a shot at three postseasons with Soto.  Tatis is now not going to participate in one of them.  Reputation tarnished forever.  And now the question if he was truly this good or were the roids giving him an assist.  Ya, no big deal.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Show me the analysis.  How many young athletes have been given big contracts, how many worked out, how many crashed and burned?  Are there common threads among either case?  Does it differ by sport, or by position?  Right now you're just speculating based on a sample of one.

All the data needed is right here.   The players under discussion are a subset of this group.  

22 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

80 game suspension.  Padres just cleared out their farm system for a shot at three postseasons with Soto.  Tatis is now not going to participate in one of them.  Reputation tarnished forever.  And now the question if he was truly this good or were the roids giving him an assist.  Ya, no big deal.

Did anyone do any hard drugs here? Was he caught doing blow off a strippers ass in Vegas? Did he Len Bias?

Was he speeding in a car and killed a passenger or a pedestrian?

Did anyone die?

Was he whipping his junk out at 25 different massage therapists?

Yeah, this is a nothingburger. He’s hurt all the time anyway, I’m sure the Padres have played an 80 game stretch without him before. And his reputation is only tarnished in the eyes of those who think these guys aren’t pumping themselves of PEDs. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Did anyone do any hard drugs here? Was he caught doing blow off a strippers ass in Vegas? Did he Len Bias?

Did anyone die?

Yeah, this is a nothingburger. He’s hurt all the time anyway, I’m sure the Padres have played an 80 game stretch without him before. And his reputation is only tarnished in the eyes of those who think these guys aren’t pumping themselves of PEDs. 

Well, he got caught doing it, and will have to be very careful when he returns. Who knows how he’ll play when he returns?   And it’s certainly not a nothingburger to the Padres right now, in the thick of a playoff race.   

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, he got caught doing it, and will have to be very careful when he returns. Who knows how he’ll play when he returns?   And it’s certainly not a nothingburger to the Padres right now, in the thick of a playoff race.   

This assumes anyone cares about the Padres. 

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Did anyone die?

It's a (relatively speaking) life nothing burger.  But it's a double whopper with cheese baseball burger.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Show me the analysis.  How many young athletes have been given big contracts, how many worked out, how many crashed and burned?  Are there common threads among either case?  Does it differ by sport, or by position?  Right now you're just speculating based on a sample of one.

Do you remember what it was like to be 22? Because I do. I was cranked to notch 10 at all times. We all saw how massive a douche Machado was at that point in his life too. Now he seems to have completely calmed down. Yes its anecdotal.  

31 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I kinda feel like if I was trying to create some kind of explanation, I would have led with something other than "treating ringworm". 

4 minutes ago, winning said:

Do you remember what it was like to be 22? Because I do. I was cranked to notch 10 at all times. We all saw how massive a douche Machado was at that point in his life too. Now he seems to have completely calmed down. Yes its anecdotal.  

Not all 22 year olds are alike.  I remember being 22 and while I was certainly different then I had a healthy sense of caution.

As fans we can only see the play on the field and the numbers in the box score.  It is up to the people in charge to decide whether a young player has the character make-up to be worth the risk.  Obviously, there is potential reward to keeping a great player in their prime at a more reasonable AAV.  

This is NOT to say that Tatis was unworthy of the contract or that he has character issues, because none of us has enough information on that to know for certain.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Did anyone die?

When I was 22 I had a falling out with my brother, banged an older married chick and got a DUI all on the same day. Yea that's just me, but I was hardly the only young buck around acting like a complete idiot. I can only imagine the things I'd get into and do with 300 million at that stage in my life.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, winning said:

When I was 22 I had a falling out with my brother, banged an older married chick and got a DUI all on the same day. Yea that's just me, but I was hardly the only young buck around acting like a complete idiot. I can only imagine the things I'd get into and do with 300 million at that stage in my life.

Sounds like you are projecting your idiotic behavior unto others. :);) 

Remember that Tatis was exposed to baseball money his whole life (his dad made about 18 mil in his career), he was not given 300 million dollars up front (10 mil signing bonus and "only" a 5 mil salary this year), and Tatis is suspended because he got caught doing something that probably makes him a better baseball player. It's not like he went all Elvis and gained 100 lbs. All the risk in his contract is at the back end. He's very likely to be a bargain in a few years when he's making 11 million, 20 million, and even 25 million. He will probably underperform several of the later years, but he's likely to basically earn that money in the next five or so years.  I'm sure the Padre ownership and management are incredibly unhappy, but Tatis is likely to be really good for them for several years. And they could probably find a taker for that contract in a couple of years if they wanted to get rid of it. Sure, it's easy to believe that he's a boneheaded guy, but I actually hope he is healthy next year and does mature. He's an exciting player and adds some flair to the sport. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, winning said:

Sounds like a “you” problem. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, winning said:

I'd say that most of us haven't done anything like that, and today most teams and/or agents have mentors and councilors and others who help them deal with their newfound wealth and status.  Yes, some go completely off the rails.  But I think that's still the exception.  If most, or even many, 22-year-old high draft picks blew through their money on cocaine and prostitutes and car wrecks teams would be very hesitant to give them out.  But the contracts still happen all the time.