2023 Rotation

Bahama O's Fan

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Saying you can’t see how Hall makes this rotation tells me you have zero eye for talent, have no understanding of stats and stuff and just aren’t paying attention.

It doesn’t mean he can’t bomb.  In fact, it’s more likely he ends up a reliever or nothing than he winds up Blake Snell (essentially a right handed AJ Burnett) or better.  

That said, the talent is immense.  The ceiling is higher than Grayson.  

So make him prove he belongs by going deeper in games 6 innings, lower the BB percentage, hits, runs, and a 5 ERA against inferior talent. He should be dominating at AAA especially pitching 4 innings.

15 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Fixed it for you…he’s average less than 4 innings per start (20 starts 77 innings). I’d look at his pitch counts before arguing that they were holding his innings down.

There is no guarantee he’s ever as good as Bedard. His success is predicated on his control. I’m not saying he can’t be developed but I’d insist he be dominant and give me 6 innings per start in AAA. He can do that by cutting down on the walks.

Do me a favor and just roll with my hypothetical.  I realize real life won’t be exactly that.   Could be worse, could be better. 

8 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Would it matter to you if the coaching staff believed he would progress more/learn more/improve more... pitching with the big club?

Nope …. I think we should make guys earn promotions by dominating in the minors. Why let him build up innings in the majors. He should be able to pitch 6 regularly before he gets here. He’s pitched 80 so far.let’s say he does 20 more.then what only 125 next year?

Edited by Roll Tide

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Saying you can’t see how Hall makes this rotation tells me you have zero eye for talent, have no understanding of stats and stuff and just aren’t paying attention.

It doesn’t mean he can’t bomb.  In fact, it’s more likely he ends up a reliever or nothing than he winds up Blake Snell (essentially a right handed AJ Burnett) or better.  

That said, the talent is immense.  The ceiling is higher than Grayson.  

I don't pretend to be a scout, but I would almost guarantee you that Grayson ends up with a better career as a ML starter than Hall.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So make him prove he belongs by going deeper in games 6 innings, lower the BB percentage, hits, runs, and a 5 ERA against inferior talent. He should be dominating at AAA especially pitching 4 innings.

Do you understand the current rotation for the Orioles doesn’t average 6 innings??? 

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

ML starters don’t go 6 innings and you want him to do it consistently?

You know how many starts Grayson Rodriguez has gone 6 innings or more the last 2 years?

3 times.  You want him to stay in the minors too?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Do me a favor and just roll with my hypothetical.  I realize real life won’t be exactly that.   Could be worse, could be better. 

If the last 4 or 5 starts is an accurate indication I don’t see how we’d expect him to go 5. As a baseball executive I’d want him to earn his promotion. My philosophy would be, show me in the minors. Bedard was pretty dominant in the minors as I recall. 

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't pretend to be a scout, but I would almost guarantee you that Grayson ends up with a better career as a ML starter than Hall.

That’s not what he stated. He said Hall has a higher “ceiling”. Not the same as saying Hall will have the better ML career. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

ML starters don’t go 6 innings and you want him to do it consistently?

You know how many starts Grayson Rodriguez has gone 6 innings or more the last 2 years?

3 times.  You want him to stay in the minors too?

He should be able to go 6 against inferior competition. He’s not doing that and if he goes 6 in the minors I’d expect 5 up here.