2023 Rotation

Bahama O's Fan

Two pretty good pitchers who would slot Wells in at #3, GrayRod at #4, and Hall/Bradish/Kremer/Voth in at #5 with some of the #5 losers going to the bullpen/AAA.

Lopez and Cleavinger is a realistic plan.   Now, are we willing to give up what it would take to get Lopez? 

Mullins

Westburg/Norby/Hernaiz/Ortiz  (Probably one of those guys but we have depth there)

Pitching Prospect (I can't see them taking Bradish)  

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's better but, without doing the research, it's not too exciting.   I just looked at Clevinger really quickly.  I know he had a really good year in 2018 but hasn't really pitched a lot of innings since.   Also have to be weary of pitchers like Lopez and Cleavinger who pitch in pretty big ballparks.   

Clevinger had TJ surgery.  First year back is this year.

Btw, he’s an option.  I like him a lot but there are a few other guys I like too.

Either way, they should be able to add 2 guys like Lopez and Clevinger with no issues.  They have the pieces to trade and the money to spend.

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Two pretty good pitchers who would slot Wells in at #3, GrayRod at #4, and Hall/Bradish/Kremer/Voth in at #5 with some of the #5 losers going to the bullpen/AAA.

Lopez and Cleavinger is a realistic plan.   Now, are we willing to give up what it would take to get Lopez? 

Mullins

Westburg/Norby/Hernaiz/Ortiz  (Probably one of those guys but we have depth there)

Pitching Prospect (I can't see them taking Bradish)  

I'd do this deal, but I'm thinking we'd need to add a fairly good pitching prospect to this.   It wouldn't be GrayRod or Hall, but the pitching prospects seem to fall off a cliff after that.

I forgot until now that PabLo missed significant time with a shoulder injury last year.  That one scares me, even though he's pitched well this year, maybe his health relapses.... He's posted a career high inning already this year - with no real setbacks on the shoulder, so that is at least encouraging.

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'd do this deal, but I'm thinking we'd need to add a fairly good pitching prospect to this.   It wouldn't be GrayRod or Hall, but the pitching prospects seem to fall off a cliff after that.

Mullins/Westburg would be a pretty good 1-2 punch as a trade offer.   Maybe Bradish would be enough.    Is that a fair trade?  Too much?  Not enough?    Of course, then we have a hole in CF defensively.

Edited by RZNJ

I would expect at least two starting pitchers added either in FA or trades. I suspect one will be of the Lyles type (perhaps even him). I am cautious about getting too carried away with ME's comments on FA. I have heard many O's GM say that they will be active in FA market only to come up with a bunch of number 4s and 5s or AAAA  guys. I hope I'm wrong.  I suspect that GRod and Hall will start in AAA. I expect the remaining three spots will be filled by Wells and two of Kremer, Bradish, Voth, Watkins, etc... GRod and Hall up in May and Hall will eventually be a reliever. Means back around August/September. When he is back it will be: 2 new guys, Means, Wells, GRod.   

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mullins/Westburg would be a pretty good 1-2 punch as a trade offer.   Maybe Bradish would be enough.    Is that a fair trade?  Too much?  Not enough?    Of course, then we have a hole in CF defensively.

I guess if you are doing both Mullins and Westburg, Bradish may be enough.   I think he's going to have to show some more consistency through the rest of the season.   I don't think he needs to be great...just good most of the time.  I still think Bradish looks more like a reliever than a starter.

42 minutes ago, nvpacchi said:

I forgot until now that PabLo missed significant time with a shoulder injury last year.  That one scares me, even though he's pitched well this year, maybe his health relapses.... He's posted a career high inning already this year - with no real setbacks on the shoulder, so that is at least encouraging.

So, the guy who’s pitched effectively WITHOUT any setbacks isn’t encouraging? 

Got it.

I'd like to know what the player cost would be to acquire Brandon Woodruff, Shane Bieber, Merrill Kelly, Jose Urquidy or Zac Gallen. 

If we do in fact add 2 SP's, would you spend the money or trade the assets? I've thought all along that one would come via FA and one via trade but given how low payroll is, why spend any player assets?

Tyler Anderson, Corey Kluber, Chris Bassitt, Taijuan Walker, Cole Irvin, Jose Quintana, Jake Odorizzi and Jamison Taillon should be reasonably priced FA's. 

I'd love to go big and sign Verlander and trade for Woodruff, Bieber or Gallen. 

And count on Wells, Grayson, Means (later), Voth, Kremer and Bradish to fill 3 spots and hope DL takes one within a few months. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Pablo Lopez, Clevinger (one of the good FA options), GRod, Hall and Wells.

Lopez yes, I’m not sold on Clevinger, but seeing him finish the season strong would convince me.

Lyles, no. 

I wouldn’t count on much from Means. First year recovering from TJ isn’t typically a boon for pitchers unless your name is Verlander. Speaking of which….yes, I’d pay him. 

Wells #3, Kremer/Bradish/Voth for the 4 and 5 spots. 

GRod will be up and he’ll be slotted number 1 whenever that is. I probably like Hall more than most, but it remains to be seen where he fits best. 

If Means comes back, they can slot him behind Rodriguez. 

Of course, if they get guys like Lopez or Clevinger there’s less need to fill out the back of the rotation with middling Orioles’ prospects. 

We’ll see.

Neither Hall nor Rodriguez (nor Tyler Wells?) will be platformed for even 30 * 5 innings, nevermind any Grayson daydreams like 33 * 6.

YTD Orioles starters are at 555 IP and relievers at 462 IP, and I think we've only goofed around with Openers onesies twosies to water down those Fangraphs splits.    Just watch what happens to Watkins-Kremer-Voth September innings if by the grace of the baseball gods we are still racing for a tournament berth.

The role difference between SP and RP continues fading, as it has since the beginning of baseball.

This CBA the League did get more latitude to enact on-field rules changes, in case Theo Epstein thinks something up, but I believe anything to limit churn and force teams to pace and use just their 5-10 "best pitchers" more will be enacted in baby steps.

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

With pitcher injuries as rare as they are I can see where a guy having a history of being hurt could be an issue.

Sure, but lack of evidence for an injury is not a reason to pass on him. I’d look more favorably on what he’s accomplished this year and how he hasn’t been injured. The same for Clevinger. TJ isn’t a barrier to signing him. I’d be more concerned with his performance coming off the surgery.