Jud Fabian 2022

ShoelesJoe

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The guy hit .239 in 2021 and .249 in 2022 and struck out at a high rate. That’s why teams passed on him and even why the Orioles waited until 67.  If the Red Sox offered him 3M last year he’d be a Red Sox.

As good as he looks, Beavers might be better.   He’s a full year younger than Fabian and doing pretty well himself.  So far so good.   On paper, Wagner looked like the best hitter of the three.   Still might be.

The Orioles and Ravens have been collaborating on draft strategy.  I am sure part of why they waited was because they thought they could wait.  

While we need to calm the jets a bit on college players doing well in A Ball, I will say this group of Beavers, Fabian, and Young are way more athletic with better swing decisions than previous draft classes, especially last year with Trimble, Rhodes and Williams all looking to have limited ceilings. 

Now saying that, they are off to some nice starts to their careers especially Young and Fabian who did not have good college seasons. Young definitely has some pitch recognition issues that I've already seen and Fabian was overwhelmed by a pitcher who was throwing in the high 90s in one at bat, so we have a ways to go before claiming success yet.

I will say even Hobbs has a nice set up at the plate and Retzbach reportedly has some of the best EVs on the team in BP though I'm not sure about his catch tool in the games I've seen so far.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aglets said:

Ironbirds have two weeks of games left.  Wonder if Fabian can hit well enough to skip Aberdeen in 2023.  Probably not.  But he is definitely one to watch imo.

I would guess he still starts in A ball next year but he may not be there long if he plays at a high level.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Ironbirds have two weeks of games left.  Wonder if Fabian can hit well enough to skip Aberdeen in 2023.  Probably not.  But he is definitely one to watch imo.

If he skips Aberdeen, they think they have something special. I'd guess they really like him, but really doubt he starts in Bowie.

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Arizona Fall League?

Gotta wonder if that is part of the equation here. This is the fastest they've moved a college guy in his drafted year, including Rutschman and Cowser. I'm not saying he's better than those two, just pointing out how quickly they've pushed him with limited PAs at a level.

Kinda sucks from my scouting perspective as the Sally League is waste land of MiLB TV coverage.