Everyone trying 1B

RZNJ

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Rutchsman has the most experience there with 30 games in the minors but maybe they don't consider play 1B enough of a rest as opposed to DH on his days off from catching.    Vavra makes a lot of sense.    You know can would have decent range over there and handle the groundballs (probably better than Mountcastle).    It's just a matter of getting used to scooping the throws in the dirt and learning the nuances (cutoff position) of the position.

I agree, I think Rutschman makes sense there and if they think his bat is that special they might move him off catcher in a few years.

Vavra makes sense due to the range.  I think Henderson COULD make sense if they like Holliday a lot and think Holliday is the SS of the future.  

But even then, Henderson at 3rd, Holliday at SS, Urias or Vavra at 2nd with Coby Mayo (bigger target) at first base with Rutschman still at Catcher.  That doesn't factor in Westburg, either.

IMO, it's a positive problem to have.  Having a lot of guys who could shift around the infield is a good thing.

I think Mountcastle should definitely be concerned though, it sounds like he could be on his way out.

• Upvote 1

Let’s say they add one pitcher and one hitter in September. 

Bench now 

Chirinos 

Phillips 

McKenna 

Nevin 

Leaves 2 spots. Nevin leaves. Maybe Phillips leaves. Could they fit 3 guys up from AAA? Yes, how much would they play? 

If they do call the kids up don’t be surprised when they aren’t playing all the time. Santander is better at DH with his defense regressing. Vavra has earned time. Odor is staying on the team. If Stowers and Gunnar are added they aren’t going to be regulars right off the bat.  

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Cue the board meltdown.

Why would this, of all things, cause a meltdown?

This does seem to prove that he's been working there in practice before this.  You would think they just didn't decide to throw him into a game.

Whatever gets him up here and gets rid of Nevin, I'm all for.  

• Upvote 1

O's options for platooning...

Henderson/Urias: 3B

Henderson/Mateo: SS

Westburg/Odor: 2B

Urias/Odor: 2B

Urias/Vavra: 2B

Santander/Mountcastle: 1B

Henderson/Mountcastle: 1B

Stowers/Hays: LF

Hays/Mullins: CF

If you get it out of your head that Mullins, Mountcastle, Urias and Hays all need to be in the lineup every day, we have a ton of match-up opportunities. This is what I expect in the next month (though not every single day). If they remain in the pennant race, the O's aren't going to pretend that the incumbents are good, when they truth is many are stinking up the joint.

The question is whether the new guys can come in and do better. 

3 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

This does seem to prove that he's been working there in practice before this.  You would think they just didn't decide to throw him into a game.

I can't imagine that someone who's being billed as the top prospect of minor league baseball who plays a premium position getting reps at first base will go over well.  

13 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can't imagine that someone who's being billed as the top prospect of minor league baseball who plays a premium position getting reps at first base will go over well.  

If it means he will be getting called up to the major league team to bolster it then I think it should go over very well with people. It doesn't mean he will be relegated to 1B indefinitely. Mateo isn't going anywhere before the end of the season obviously.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s a break glass, in case of emergency type thing.  Nothing to see here.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I would think if it is a sign he is being promoted that would be fantastic news to the base. It's not like they are permanently putting him on 1B

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

They are going to bench MLB regulars for kids?  Not going to happen. 

Urias is going to sit who has a plus glove? 

Urias has never proven that he's anything more than a slightly above average replacement level player. This season he's been below league average going by his OPS+. So yes, they'll bench an MLB regular for a "kid". It'll happen.

Urias is absolutely a player that you bench in favor of the top prospect in the game according to multiple publications. So yes, Urias can sit. And I think he will. 

Urias' glove is not special enough that he deserves to keep starting if his offensive production is below average.

Next year, all of Henderson, Vavra, Westburg, and even Mateo are more likely to be starting somewhere than Urias, who fits best as a utility player.  It's not at all unusual that a third baseman, where Henderson may very well settle in, would also back up at first base.  I think this spells the end for Tyler Nevin and I'm hoping Gunner's contract is selected and he is promoted next week with Nevin being optioned to AAA, at the very least.  I doubt it has much to do with Mountcastle at all.

2 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Another theory on why Henderson is playing 1B is they are getting ready to promote Joey Ortiz to Norfolk and need somewhere to put Henderson on the days when Ortiz plays SS.

I think they are just looking for a backup for Mountcastle.  They had Mancini to back him up before he was traded.  Now they still have Nevin but he is probably on his way down so they need to have another guy who can play there a day if he banged up or as a replacement if they pinch run for him late in games.