The Orioles are on ESPN tonight.

Gurgi

37 minutes ago, Why_Knott? said:

From that link. Made me chuckle 

The potato incident

Dave Bresnahan was catching for the 1987 Williamsport Bills, who were in seventh place in an eight-team league, playing the last-place Reading Phillies in late-August game.[22] With a runner on third base, Bresnahan switched catcher's mitts and put on a glove in which he had secreted a shaved-down potato. When the pitch came in, Bresnahan fired the white potato down the third-base line, enticing the runner to sprint home. Bresnahan then tagged the runner with the baseball, prompting the umpire to award the runner home plate for Bresnahan's deception, even though he clearly had been tagged out with the ball.[22]

The president of the Eastern League took offense to what he perceived as Bresnahan's affront to the game, banning the grandnephew of Hall of Famer Roger Bresnahan from the league.[citation needed] However, the citizens of Williamsport applauded Bresnahan for his ingenuity, eventually prompting the club to retire his number 59.[22] At the retirement ceremony in 1998, Bresnahan was quoted as saying, "Lou Gehrig had to play in 2,130 consecutive games and hit .340 for his number to be retired, and all I had to do was bat .140 and throw a potato."[23]

Edited by NashLumber

59 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

We’ll be coming around the mountain when he comes. 

Between the above and "Can of Corn, Mountcastle and BenBOOm, that one, and the Spud in the Web(b) comment I think you may well still be under the influence of the the "Bromo" Manhattan, lol. Keep up the good work.

• Haha 1

These festivities, with the O's players being around the little leaguers, sliding down the hill,etc, may be just what the O's need.  I'm sure they are mentally exhausted from so many tight games and always being the pursuer in the wild card chase.  I hope to see a relaxed, rejuvenated team in tonight's game. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

Between the above and "Can of Corn, Mountcastle and BenBOOm, that one, and the Spud in the Web(b) comment I think you may well still be under the influence of the the "Bromo" Manhattan, lol. Keep up the good work.

Was a little punchy on the train ride home, I think. Sadly, my flask was empty on the 7+ hour trip. I should have paced myself a little better!

Will be home just in time to catch tonight’s game. Train is stalled about 10 miles from home, but still confident I’ll see first pitch. 

Edited by NashLumber

35 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The intro segment of the 600 Baseball Tonight hourlong pregame pronounced current Orioles Mt. Rushmore Rutschman, Santander, Mullins and Mountcastle.

For those of you with kiddos, ESPN2 is showing a parallel Kids Cast.

I wouldn't have Mountcastle on it. Either Felix because he IS The Mountain or perhaps Odor due to his veteranosity and team spirit  😉