Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

8 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'm really surprised he hasn't been called up yet, and I'll be extremely disappointed if they bring him up after the deadline for playoff roster eligibility. He fills an urgent need for the team, and I think he'd be an upgrade over both Odor and Urias both offensively and defensively.

Not only does Gunnar make the team better, but he fills a need immediately in a pivotal series against the Guardians, who have great starting pitchers.

Hoping we hear an announcement in the next hour or two, or tomorrow. If not, it'll be one of the most disappointing decisions in my book since Buck went with Ubaldo against Toronto in the 2016 playoffs.

You're comparing not bringing up a 21 year old kid with a month to go in the season, to not pitching our all-star closer having an almost historic year in an elimination game?  That's laughable.  Gunnar is not some cure-all to the current offensive woes.  I want to see him too but sorry, acting like this is some completely indefensible decision is over the top.

Is it so unimaginable that they think the 21-year-old needs a bit more time to develop based on the metrics they determined ahead of time? And that best practice is to not compromise on those standards for any prospect? And that those ideals aren't worth abandoning for the benefit of a team that is not threatening to win the division, league, or world series?

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Look for Gunnar to come up for the home series against Oakland starting Friday. 

Why bring him up in September after the deadline passes for him to be playoff eligible.  If he isn't up tomorrow then leave him down until a few weeks into next season as far as I am concerned. 

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just don’t get it.  

I agree with you at this point.  I just don't see why/how you wouldn't call him up before Thursday.  I suppose he could still be called up tomorrow, but why wouldn't they have called him up today if they are planning on doing it tomorrow?  In the grand scheme of things, it does not seem like it would matter and we'd get an extra game with him in the lineup.  

4 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Is it so unimaginable that they think the 21-year-old needs a bit more time to develop based on the metrics they determined ahead of time? And that best practice is to not compromise on those standards for any prospect? And that those ideals aren't worth abandoning for the benefit of a team that is not threatening to win the division, league, or world series?

If that is the mindset of the FO that makes even less sense. If they have determined that the team is not good enough to win "the division, league, world series" as stated then what harm could he do being given everyday at bats in the bigs? What can he learn at this point in the season at AAA that he can't learn in the bigs? It seems to me that the greater learning would be in the major leagues at this point in the year to prepare for next year, when the hope is that the goal is to win "the division, league, and world series".

Its never been more than pure speculation that he was coming up.  Anyone disappointed has only themselves to blame, Elias has all but told us this wasn't happening.  Not literally mind you, but he certainly hasn't indicated to the contrary.

I'm ready to root for the team that's on the field and stop worrying about who's NOT here.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If that is the mindset of the FO that makes even less sense. If they have determined that the team is not good enough to win "the division, league, world series" as stated then what harm could he do being given everyday at bats in the bigs? What can he learn at this point in the season at AAA that he can't learn in the bigs? It seems to me that the greater learning would be in the major leagues at this point in the year to prepare for next year, when the hope is that the goal is to win "the division, league, and world series".

It might seem that way to you, but it might seem the other way with them. Maybe they have an age/MiL at bat matrix. Maybe the coach they want working with Gunnar is in Norfolk. Maybe they want him swinging at pitches that he has a low probability of hitting, which wouldn't be tenable in the big leagues.

I don't know any of these things to be true, and I'm not advocating for Gunnar to stay down there. I'm just speculating as to why he hasn't been called up, since it seems unlikely the reason is because he couldn't help this team.