This loss is on Hyde

banks703

The biggest issue I had with the game last night was pulling Baumann so quick. He looked pretty good through 4, and just my opinion but I think I would have started him in the 5th. Not doing that pretty much put everyone else in an inning too early and came back to bite them in the end. 

Houston still is the best team in the AL. They were bound to get going at some point.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I’ll say this. This is not meant to be a knock on the Orioles but you saw last night the quality of at bats from Houston in the 9th. Their lineup 7-9 is not good. We let those guys get on too much.  Now they rested a couple of guys as well. 

We really need a couple of more professional hitters to fill out the lineup. 

Were they really quality at bats? Vazquez broke his bat and hit a bloop with an XBA of like .120. Altuve got four pitches nowhere close. Tucker got into an 0-2 hole and then got gifted a crappy splitter. Gurriel hit a nubber and found a hole. 

I’m glad I missed this game.  Had tickets to see Elton John at Nationals Park.  By the way, were there any Mike Elias sightings at the game last night?   There was a guy a few seats over from me and down a row who was a dead ringer for Elias, and may actually have been him.  The concert was certainly way better than the game (or at least, the 9th inning of the game).   

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And yet Reed did absolutely fine. Just gave up a weak ground ball that got through the big hole in the shift. Reed was .00001% of the problems in this game.

I agree that Reed wasn't the problem but I question bringing him in in such an important spot. If my season is going down the drain I rather have it happen with Bautista than Reed.  More about the strategy than the results. 

Bautista wasn't awful. He just blew two 100 mph fastballs past Tucker.  I'll take a tired, off Bautista over Jake Reed every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

6 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Were they really quality at bats? Vazquez broke his bat and hit a bloop with an XBA of like .120. Altuve got four pitches nowhere close. Tucker got into an 0-2 hole and then got gifted a crappy splitter. Gurriel hit a nubber and found a hole. 

How many pitches out of the zone do they swing at. Ability to go other way with pitches. 

Putting the ball in play with a middle approach. They didn’t crush everything but with 2 strikes putting it in play. 

The Alvarez game tying hit in the middle innings. 

17 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

The biggest issue I had with the game last night was pulling Baumann so quick. He looked pretty good through 4, and just my opinion but I think I would have started him in the 5th. Not doing that pretty much put everyone else in an inning too early and came back to bite them in the end. 

Houston still is the best team in the AL. They were bound to get going at some point.

I was at the game and I thought they made hard contact all night and looking box on the mlb app they did. Hyde was asking Krehbiel to get out 7-8-9. Could he have sent Baumann back out? Sure but it wasn’t like he was mowing anyone down. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

He couldn't command anything last night.  

Again, I'd rather have him miss somewhere with 100 MPH to someone who's swings are screaming I CAN'T HANDLE THIS VELOCITY rather than run the risk of hanging a splitter and giving Tucker the chance to hit something at a velocity that anyone in the MLB can handle.

Fine, if you want to make him chase, throw a shoulder high fastball.  Throw one in the dirt.  Set up outside so if he misses the corner of the plate, hopefully it runs outside.  I understand the concept of not having to have it in the zone when Tucker's behind in the count but the battle is 75% won when you realize Tucker can't catch up and another fastball, even if it misses the target, stands a better chance of putting him away or inducing weak contact rather than something at 89 MPH.  I'll take 100, 101 all day every day, ANYWHERE, especially when the rest of his stuff isn't sharp.  

That's the thing, 100, 101 doesn't have to be sharp or precisely located to be effective.  That splitter had to be precise on a night where precision wasn't there for Bautista.

I think we’re saying the same thing here. Throw the heater and get make the hitter adjust to something that he had clearly demonstrated he was previously unable to do. 

Yes, if Bautista executes the split on Tucker we aren’t talking about the loss and who is to blame but he didn’t and not because it was an atrociously bad pitch (it wasn’t). He had just struck out Tucker the previous inning on a split. Tucker couldn’t catch the heater and Bautista couldn’t command it. In a two-strike count against a guy that just whiffed the previous inning, it doesn’t take a lot to feel a split coming. 

My gripe is how Joey, Perez, Tate and Baker were used. Joey coming in to start the fifth doesn’t make sense to me any way we slice it.  We had a three run lead. Why bring in a guy who has mostly pitched in matchup situations with almost every outing being one inning or less….why bring in THAT guy in the fifth? Further, why not have the other very well rested guys throwing? 

Players have to make plays, no doubt but again the manager is supposed to be the guy who puts them in the best position to succeed. For all of the good that BH has done this year, I just think that this one falls on him. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree that Reed wasn't the problem but I question bringing him in in such an important spot. If my season is going down the drain I rather have it happen with Bautista than Reed.  More about the strategy than the results. 

Bautista wasn't awful. He just blew two 100 mph fastballs past Tucker.  I'll take a tired, off Bautista over Jake Reed every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Bautista was at 30+ pitches and getting hammered. Whether or not it was the wrong call, Reed was fine and was not the reason we lost.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I think we’re saying the same thing here. Throw the heater and get make the hitter adjust to something that he had clearly demonstrated he was previously unable to do. 

Yes, if Bautista executes the split on Tucker we aren’t talking about the loss and who is to blame but he didn’t and not because it was an atrociously bad pitch (it wasn’t). He had just struck out Tucker the previous inning on a split. Tucker couldn’t catch the heater and Bautista couldn’t command it. In a two-strike count against a guy that just whiffed the previous inning, it doesn’t take a lot to feel a split coming. 

My gripe is how Joey, Perez, Tate and Baker were used. Joey coming in to start the fifth doesn’t make sense to me any way we slice it.  We had a three run lead. Why bring in a guy who has mostly pitched in matchup situations with almost every outing being one inning or less….why bring in THAT guy in the fifth? Further, why not have the other very well rested guys throwing? 

Players have to make plays, no doubt but again the manager is supposed to be the guy who puts them in the best position to succeed. For all of the good that BH has done this year, I just think that this one falls on him. 

Joey was facing 7-8-9. That’s not a big ask. Issue was he let 7 and 9 get on. 

If he does his job that leaves 4 others for the final 4 innings. 

28 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Bautista was at 30+ pitches and getting hammered. Whether or not it was the wrong call, Reed was fine and was not the reason we lost.

What’s your problem?  I didn’t blame Jake Reed for anything.   Bautista was ineffective. He was hardly getting hammered.   Gurriel hit a weak fly ball in the 8th.  Bergman hit a weak grounder just before Tucker came up. Tucker was struck out the previous AB and was down 1-2 swinging late on two mph fastballs.   When this could turn out to be the most important loss of the year you don’t decide that 33 pitches is the cutoff and 38 isn’t. You don’t replace the most dominant reliever on the team and replace him with a scrub who is AAAA.  It doesn’t matter if Reed was just unlucky.  If Reed struck out Gurriel somehow, you still don’t make that move.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What’s your problem?  I didn’t blame Jake Reed for anything.   Bautista was ineffective. He was hardly getting hammered.   Gurriel hit a weak fly ball in the 8th.  Bergman hit a weak grounder just before Tucker came up. Tucker was struck out the previous AB and was down 1-2 swinging late on two mph fastballs.   When this could turn out to be the most important loss of the year you don’t decide that 33 pitches is the cutoff and 38 isn’t. You don’t replace the most dominant reliever on the team and replace him with a scrub who is AAAA.  It doesn’t matter if Reed was just unlucky.  If Reed struck out Gurriel somehow, you still don’t make that move.

You said Reed was the wrong decision. I am saying it was a reasonable decision. You disagree. Beyond that I have no problem. 

Since baseball is a game of  inches, in any close game, several things could have/should have been done differently.  Always so clear the next morning, but so complicated during the game.  This is not a video game, it is actual human blood, sweat, and tears.  Nobody   knows what a player will do in any circumstance, regardless what his stats say  he  should do.    That is what makes baseball such a great sport.    And unlike other sports, a few hours later you get a chance to try  again.       

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I was at the game and I thought they made hard contact all night and looking box on the mlb app they did. Hyde was asking Krehbiel to get out 7-8-9. Could he have sent Baumann back out? Sure but it wasn’t like he was mowing anyone down. 

Oh I'm certainly playing Monday morning manager. I still would have let him start the 5th though. 

I kinda thought the 2 run shot from Altuve would have been enough the way Framber was pitching.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad I missed this game.  Had tickets to see Elton John at Nationals Park.  By the way, were there any Mike Elias sightings at the game last night?   There was a guy a few seats over from me and down a row who was a dead ringer for Elias, and may actually have been him.  The concert was certainly way better than the game (or at least, the 9th inning of the game).   

Good for you! Sir Elton has made almost as many comebacks as the '22 Orioles.