This loss is on Hyde

banks703

2 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Akin and Hall were middle-relief candidates that could have allowed us to keep Krehbiel and Perez for later and limit Bautista to the 9th.

Akin, yes, Hall, no.  I don't trust him enough right now.   I think Hall, at the moment, is a mop up guy.  

I can see the blame for Hyde but I think it's a bit over the top.  I also think it's natural for an autopsy after a game like that and it's also natural for people want to look for one person to blame.

IMO, it's not all on Hyde.  Hays missing that cutoff man was terrible.  Now, we'll never know if Mateo would have nailed Alvarez at the plate but I liked his chances.  Mateo has a great arm and Alvarez isn't a burner.  Even if the throw was a bit off target, I think there'd have been plenty of time for Rutschman to recover and make a tag.

Bautista going to the split that wasn't working for practically his entire appearance when he had two strikes on Tucker was unforgivable.  I'm not sure who called that pitch but it was a terrible idea, Tucker was having trouble handling 100 mph heat, a well placed fastball at 100 or 101 gets him swinging. 

Like I said, there's a lot of blame to go around.  I don't think Hyde should have pulled Baumann at that particular instant and I don't know why he went to short relievers first.  

That said, there were some guys that didn't execute on things they've been executing on all year.  It sucks, but it happens.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

With Baumann, I think you at least bring him in to start the fifth inning and pull him as soon as he gets into trouble. 

Also why wasn't Akin used tonight perhaps over Krehbiel, since Akin hasn't pitched since Sept. 25th. Is there an injury to Akin I'm not aware about? 

This is where I'm at. Baumann and Akin to bridge the 5th and the 6th would have been more logical than what he did.

I do not like 5 out saves for closers in general, but I especially don't like it when said closer is coming off being sidelined for arm fatigue. 

All this being said, If Felix throws a FB to Tucker with 2 strikes this thread probably doesn't even exist.

Edited by dystopia
  • Upvote 1

In order of blameworthiness:

1. Krehbiel. Pathetic performance. Created a chain reaction leading to Bautista being brought in too early. 

2. Hays for missing the cutoff on a huge play. 

3. Bautista/Adley for the pitch selection/execution. If you're going to throw an 0-2 splitter make sure it's in the dirt! To do that twice...

4. Hyde - for not pinch hitting Vavra for Mateo in the 9th. Honestly the rest of his decisions were defensible.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

1. Krehbiel. Pathetic performance. Created a chain reaction leading to Bautista being brought in too early. 

3. Bautista/Adley for the pitch selection/execution. If you're going to throw an 0-2 splitter make sure it's in the dirt! To do that twice...

4. Hyde - for not pinch hitting Vavra for Mateo in the 9th. Honestly the rest of his decisions were defensible.

Don't forget getting the bases loaded with no one out in the 7th and not scoring.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, LA2 said:

Akin and Hall were middle-relief candidates that could have allowed us to keep Krehbiel and Perez for later and limit Bautista to the 9th.

The O's have to have some relievers that can pitch 2-3+ innings next year.  There's no way the bullpen should be almost unused for 3 games and then used up in 1 game.  Akin seemed like a guy that could pitch 2 or even 3 innings early in the year and got moved away from the role for some reason.  There 's should always be a guy in the bullpen that can throw 3 innings.  With the incidence of pitching injuries, you never know when a pitcher will lose it in the 3rd or come down with an injury and be unable to continue.  The O's don't need to depend on 7 relievers when they have to go to the bullpen  in the 3rd.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Akin vs that lineup is not a great matchup. 

It's entirely possible that Akin implodes just like Krehbiel if he is brought into the game. I just argue that it was more logical to use him and Baumann to get through the 5th and the 6th than Krehbiel and Perez. 

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Still can’t believe Adley called a splitter to Tucker.  A high fastball was the obvious call there.

That’s where I’m at. And not to open up a whole OH can of worms but it made me wonder if he got that pitch selection from the dugout because I’ve been trained to believe that Adley’s baseball IQ is off the charts. And that wasn’t a smart call. 

A fastball up and in the zone gets the job done. 

We score 10 runs on their pitching. Pitching that has got them to 100 wins. Add in we load the bases in the bottom of the seventh and can't score. After three nights of supurb pitching, we lose 11 to 10. For a few weeks we endured anemic hitting. Last night it was the pitching. 79 wins during a season when this team was projected to be a doormat yet again. Yea, let's blame the manager. In the words of Charlie Brown - "Good Grief!"

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

But just to be safe, shouldn't we fire Hyde?

One bonus of 3:58 games is I go to sleep before turning into a pumpkin, so I don't get to see them blow late games most of the time.

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That’s where I’m at. And not to open up a whole OH can of worms but it made me wonder if he got that pitch selection from the dugout because I’ve been trained to believe that Adley’s baseball IQ is off the charts. And that wasn’t a smart call. 

A fastball up and in the zone gets the job done. 

It's all game theory.  If everyone including the batter knows a high fastball is the right call and assumes it's coming, do you really throw the high fastball every time?